Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeighM

if you think that by walking next to smokers in a designated smoking area of a theme park is going to give you enough second-hand smoke to cause cancer or have you prematurely die... I don’t know what to tell you.

Nope, but walking next to smokers is enough to trigger an asthma attack. And some of my attacks can be pretty bad - plus, I react poorly to the inhalers, which mess up my blood pressure and heart arrhythmia. But it's not like I have a choice to not take my inhaler, when I can't avoid my triggers. That's why the smoking areas need to be away from the common path and smokers and vapers need to respect that area. WDW is a place where people with all types of health conditions vacation and you never know what consequence your actions could have on someone else. It's just a matter of being considerate and respectful. My own mother was NOT a considerate smoker before she quit either LOL.

Tanna Eros

Nope, but walking next to smokers is enough to trigger an asthma attack. And some of my attacks can be pretty bad - plus, I react poorly to the inhalers, which mess up my blood pressure and heart arrhythmia. But it's not like I have a choice to not take my inhaler, when I can't avoid my triggers. That's why the smoking areas need to be away from the common path and smokers and vapers need to respect that area. WDW is a place where people with all types of health conditions vacation and you never know what consequence your actions could have on someone else. It's just a matter of being considerate and respectful. My own mother was NOT a considerate smoker before she quit either LOL.
Inhalers today can be a pig in a poke. Different people have different side effects. I can completely understand where you are coming from. I can only used them in a dire emergency, because the side effects are harmful.

BoarderPhreak

Still alive, here on page 65! 🤣

download.jpg

jaklgreen

I don't know what Disney's Halloween is like, but anyone who has gone to a small park on Halloween knows they whip out the fog machines like all get out, to make the most effect for their money.
On other park forums, I have asked, and never quite got an answer, but I'm hoping for at least one answer now.
For persons who are allergic to cigarettes, I know that many attend the Halloween season.
My question is: "How do they deal with that choking fog?"

I'm allergic to cigarettes. The fog machines have a smell to them that will bother me if I stay in it too long. It is not like the instant reaction that I get from cigarettes. It could be the ingredients, IDK. But my reaction to even a whiff of cigarettes is immediate. For example, today at work, I went out back to dump my garbage and there was a guy out there smoking. The instant I opened the door, I smelled it and it gave me a severe headache. I am home now, 2 1/2 hours later and I still have a headache. There is no rhyme or reason why some people are allergic to certain things. But it does not make it any less real.

righttrack

Like all things there is a balance between accommodating all people and being very restrictive. I think the main problem with a lot of the smoking areas were they were ill-conceived and the product of another era. The Magic Kingdom ones were in very high traffic areas. They should have experimented with moving them closer to the edges rather than keeping them so central and then removing them all together. If you had people traffic on all four sides of a smoking area, what's the point? If you had people traffic only on one side, then it's much easier to avoid a smoking area.

Tanna Eros

I'm allergic to cigarettes. The fog machines have a smell to them that will bother me if I stay in it too long. It is not like the instant reaction that I get from cigarettes. It could be the ingredients, IDK. But my reaction to even a whiff of cigarettes is immediate. For example, today at work, I went out back to dump my garbage and there was a guy out there smoking. The instant I opened the door, I smelled it and it gave me a severe headache. I am home now, 2 1/2 hours later and I still have a headache. There is no rhyme or reason why some people are allergic to certain things. But it does not make it any less real.
Thank you. I have the same headache issues with perfume.
No one has answered that question for me before.

Tanna Eros

Like all things there is a balance between accommodating all people and being very restrictive. I think the main problem with a lot of the smoking areas were they were ill-conceived and the product of another era. The Magic Kingdom ones were in very high traffic areas. They should have experimented with moving them closer to the edges rather than keeping them so central and then removing them all together. If you had people traffic on all four sides of a smoking area, what's the point? If you had people traffic only on one side, then it's much easier to avoid a smoking area.
It was as hard as heck for smokers to get Cedar Faire to get the idea that we wanted AWAY! from the crowd, and that's a small park that can hear it's customers.

righttrack

It was as hard as heck for smokers to get Cedar Faire to get the idea that we wanted AWAY! from the crowd, and that's a small park that can hear it's customers.

Yes, and I guess that's the thing. No one wants to ruin someone else's experience. The problem is when smoking areas get so restricted, people feel it's their sacred right to use them no matter who complains. These kind of things should be mapped out carefully.

andysol

Why are you quoting me?

- I said cancer or die prematurely because I was responding to another member who talked about getting cancer from secondhand smoke. I never said asthma.

- I said in a designated area. And you're also saying smoking areas should be in a designated area.

So... ???

---

Secondly; why in God's name are people still having a discussion in this thread? What else could possibly be said?

jaklgreen

But... but... You're an evil smoker! There's no way you ever get any work done! You're too busy thinking about sucking down three packs a day!

In all seriousness, it's quite amusing to see all these non-smokers reducing smokers down to this cartoon villain stereotype. Tying the fair maiden to the train tracks while they laugh and blow smoke from their fifth cigarette of the hour into the face of a disabled kitten. It's ridiculous.

I'll say again that I don't smoke, but I've also never in nearly 32 years of being alive had any struggle to avoid being around smoke if I didn't want to be. I have, however, been hit by multiple ECVs being driven by drunk drivers at Epcot. Perhaps we should set up our own straw man here and call for a blanket ban on alcohol! Another habit that often affects both the user and those around him.

I keep seeing people say that they have been hit by strollers and ECVs numerous times. In my 30+ visits over the years, neither any my family members nor I, have ever been hit by either. We pay attention to what is going on around us and do not walk with our heads in our phones or map. I have avoided several collisions with inattentive people. Now the cigarette issue is something that bothers me. I have smelled it on the people mover, which should not happen. You have to understand that people have different level of intolerance. Some people could barely smell the smoke even when they are close to it, my husband is like that. But I am allergic and very sensitive to it. I can also smell it from a much greater distance then some other people can. So to say that it is not an issue because it does not bother you, is dismissive of those who are seriously affected by it.

LeighM

Why are you quoting me?

- I said cancer or die prematurely because I was responding to another member who talked about getting cancer from secondhand smoke. I never said asthma.

- I said in a designated area. And you're also saying smoking areas should be in a designated area.

So... ???

---

Secondly; why in God's name are people still having a discussion in this thread? What else could possibly be said?

Maybe I'm quoting you because I'm responding to you what you said. I'm just pointing out that there are other ways to die from secondhand smoke besides cancer. Why so defensive? I didn't attack you. If you don't want to be quoted then maybe you shouldn't post on a public discussion board :) I didn't know that others who recently had a chance to comment on this thread weren't supposed to because you deem it old news. You could try unfollowing it if it annoys you.

jaklgreen

Which a smoker could accomplish while going to have a cigarette. (Not disagreeing with your company's policy...just making a point.)
My friend used to work at a place where she was one of 3 office ladies, none of them smoked, and a few men that did other work, all of whom smoked. The ladies would notice that the guys would go out for a smoke break about every hour while they were inside working. So they decided that every time the guys went for another break, they would take a break too and sit down. Well the boss noticed them taking all of these breaks and asked them what they thought they were doing taking so many breaks. The simply replied that we are taking our "smoke" break every time that the guys are. Boss walked away without saying anything and a few weeks later there was a limit to how many smoke breaks people could take. They did a study that showed that the average smoker takes about 20 extra minutes a day break just to smoke. Which is about 20 days a year that smokers are taking extra for a break.

jaklgreen

I think people can just only take so much. Especially people with an addiction.
This is a ridiculous sentiment. "Can only take so much", as if you are being sexually harassed at work, or told you can't go somewhere because of the color of your skin. Talk about over dramatic. It's a cigarette. Have one on your way into the park, one after lunch, another around dinner. I would think that being able to go 2-3 hours without one should be doable for most people. If the addiction is that extreme that you need one every half and hour then you wouldn't be spending that much time doing much of anything at the parks anyway. You would be walking from one DSA to the next. And I don't like this whole mentality "well we are just going to light up in the park wherever we want now". Who the heck do people think they are? Seriously? A person does not like the rules so they are better then everyone and the rules don't apply to them? Do some of you even hear what you are saying? I get it, it is inconvenient. But so what. A lot of people are inconvenienced in many ways but they still follow the rules.

ImperfectPixie

This is a ridiculous sentiment. "Can only take so much", as if you are being sexually harassed at work, or told you can't go somewhere because of the color of your skin. Talk about over dramatic. It's a cigarette. Have one on your way into the park, one after lunch, another around dinner. I would think that being able to go 2-3 hours without one should be doable for most people. If the addiction is that extreme that you need one every half and hour then you wouldn't be spending that much time doing much of anything at the parks anyway. You would be walking from one DSA to the next. And I don't like this whole mentality "well we are just going to light up in the park wherever we want now". Who the heck do people think they are? Seriously? A person does not like the rules so they are better then everyone and the rules don't apply to them? Do some of you even hear what you are saying? I get it, it is inconvenient. But so what. A lot of people are inconvenienced in many ways but they still follow the rules.
It isn't ridiculous. Everyone has a breaking point. The rule-breakers (at least in this forum) seem to be in the minority, but they also anger smokers who do follow the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom