Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoarderPhreak

Smoking's gone to heaven - duke it out on page 67! šŸ¤£

smoking_heaven.jpg

Last edited:

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Because.. thatā€™s human nature. When people see something they agree with they go all in. Look at politics, canā€™t change either sides mind. No one listens anymore itā€™s just trying to talk over the person you seem to disagree with. I know, I know, this is about secondhand smoke and the rights of people not to have to smell it. I get it. Like you said it was taken care of before but...
I vape, smoked for 30 years. I donā€™t like being in the smoking area because of the same reasons most people have here. Been there done that and donā€™t want to smell it anymore. But thatā€™s where I go when I want to vape.
If people here knew that every non smoking room, not only at Disney but around the world has been vaped in, they would flip. Ok, now they know. Smoke alarm wonā€™t go off, itā€™s water vapor. It dissipates in less then a minute and leaves no smell or residue. No worries people, itā€™s not harmful. If your wondering, I donā€™t. I vape when we leave our room and go to the smoking area. Just donā€™t kid yourself, it has happened in every room over and over.
Nicotine does not cause cancer. Itā€™s like caffeine, a addictive drug, thatā€™s it. Itā€™s the 3000 plus chemicals that when burned creates the tar. Reputable ecig juices have 3 ingredients, 4 if you add nicotine. All 3 are in our foods that everyone here consumes. Sorry about this last paragraph but thereā€™s a lot of misinformation being tossed around. Iā€™m off my soapbox.
I'm beginning to come up with another theory....

This has nothing to do with "smoking" - it has every thing to do with "liability".

Consider - lawyers weigh in. Smoking "banned". Now? No liability. Oh, once in a while? Enforcement, over gross cases.
To a degree? I smell an "absolution from liability" trick :(.

Cesar R M

There's a risk to absolutely everything for someone. People are allergic to Carrots and Apples for heaven's sake. Or the scents in the bathrooms. Society and Disney doesn't need to look out for the .000000001%. The .000000001% needs to look out for themselves.

If you're risking death because you are exposed to second hand smoke for mere seconds in an open-air environment, then quite possibly, Disney World isn't the place for you. In fact, I don't know how you're alive today to tell your story.
and YOU CAN ASK YOUR RESTAURANT WAITER TO DONT GIVE YOU APPLES AND CARROTS.
See the difference?
You want to put YOUR addiction over someone else's health.

disneyfireman

Good for Disney, anyone can go a day in the park without smoking. No big deal. Folks work 12 hour shifts at places where they can't smoke...I love cigars...but i wait till later at the hotel to enjoy one. This is a non issue unless you just like to complain about something. (and lets be real..NO one like a whiner) It gets old.
I also don't want to inhale someone else cigarette smoke. Unlike cigars that is 100% tobacco. Cigarettes, the tobacco is laced with chemicals and is only maybe 50% tobacco and that tobacco is full of crap that isn't even in tobacco naturally. cigars don't have
that, so no, I don't want to breath cigarette smoke at all.
Anyone that won't goto WDW/DLR due to this park ban- not resort ban. Well, too bad. no one feels sorry for you.
Wait till later that night or in the morning before you go...if not, head out the gate and do it..
Now also....Jorts need banned. they look hideous.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Because.. thatā€™s human nature. When people see something they agree with they go all in. Look at politics, canā€™t change either sides mind. No one listens anymore itā€™s just trying to talk over the person you seem to disagree with. I know, I know, this is about secondhand smoke and the rights of people not to have to smell it. I get it. Like you said it was taken care of before but...
I vape, smoked for 30 years. I donā€™t like being in the smoking area because of the same reasons most people have here. Been there done that and donā€™t want to smell it anymore. But thatā€™s where I go when I want to vape.
If people here knew that every non smoking room, not only at Disney but around the world has been vaped in, they would flip. Ok, now they know. Smoke alarm wonā€™t go off, itā€™s water vapor. It dissipates in less then a minute and leaves no smell or residue. No worries people, itā€™s not harmful. If your wondering, I donā€™t. I vape when we leave our room and go to the smoking area. Just donā€™t kid yourself, it has happened in every room over and over.
Nicotine does not cause cancer. Itā€™s like caffeine, a addictive drug, thatā€™s it. Itā€™s the 3000 plus chemicals that when burned creates the tar. Reputable ecig juices have 3 ingredients, 4 if you add nicotine. All 3 are in our foods that everyone here consumes. Sorry about this last paragraph but thereā€™s a lot of misinformation being tossed around. Iā€™m off my soapbox.
The problem of allowing vape, is for every respectful person like you, there might be a moron like this one..

Phil12

Smokers know that their habit conflicts with good health (both mental and physical) yet they continue because of their addiction to nicotine. Smoking conflicts with common sense. The best thing a smoker can do is stop smoking. Accommodating their addiction helps to enable their continued addiction. And never trust an addict. They'll say anything to keep using. Some people are just self destructive but I shouldn't have to watch and smell your public self-mutilation. Nor is anyone obligated to provide DSA's.

disneyfireman

The only thing worse than a cigarette smoker whining about this....is a person that complains about Disney prices....PLEASE...just go somewhere else for vacation....

Lensman

Only dispute is the effect of 10 second exposure to second-hand smoke at a distance of 20 yards in an open air environment. But then nobody has done a scientific study into such circumstances because it would be toooo stuuupid...
One exposure of 10 seconds from 20 yards away is admittedly small and I couldn't find a study that literally studied that exposure, however, I was surprised at what I did find:

Exposure time to secondhand smoke and effects:
  • 5 minutes ā€“ stiffens the aorta as much as smoking a cigarette
  • 20-30 minutes ā€“ causes excess blood clotting, as well as increases the buildup of fat deposits in blood vessels, increasing the risk of heart attack and stroke.
  • 2 hours ā€“ increases the chance of irregular heart beat (arrhythmia) and can trigger a fatal cardiac event or heart attack.
From: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/10644-secondhand-smoke-dangers

The most credible danger of secondhand smoke at WDW are the cast members who have to work in or near the designated smoking areas. I'm not sure how this danger is going to be alleviated by the new areas that are merely outside the park. Cast members will still have to enter these areas to clean them. OTOH, there is hopefully less danger to cast members working nearby, if they situate these areas away from areas where cast members are required to stand on duty.

But as I've previously stated, I don't think this is a move by Disney to protect its cast members, I agree with @Sirwalterraleigh that it's a calculated marketing move to appeal to non-smokers, to save operational expense, and to free up a marginal amount of space inside the park. I do agree that it remains to be seen how effective it will be.

Note: I don't want to be accused of moving the goalposts, but I'm not sure that we agreed that 10 seconds of exposure from 20 yards away was the standard on which we would argue about the effects of secondhand smoke.

andysol

and YOU CAN ASK YOUR RESTAURANT WAITER TO DONT GIVE YOU APPLES AND CARROTS.
See the difference?
You want to put YOUR addiction over someone else's health.
Ive never taken a puff of a cigarette, tobacco product or weed in my entire life. Not one.

So unless Iā€™m getting nicotine in some other way Iā€™m unaware of (do Oreos count?), then I donā€™t believe I'm addicted.

My dad stopped smoking when I was in 5th grade. I have a distinct memory of Tyler Bloomer asking me in 3rd grade ā€œdoes your mom or dad smoke?ā€ To which is answered ā€œyesā€, and then he said ā€œbecause you smell like itā€. I remember it like it was yesterday.

I donā€™t like cigarettes, if that isnā€™t clear enough. But I also donā€™t get butthurt about smokers and act like theyā€™ve personally wronged me. Iā€™m not going to waste my angst on that.

I was just commenting on the absolute lunacy that commenters here are trying to equate walking by a smoking area as something that could potentially kill them.
Let me repeat that, because it warrants repeating: There are commenters here stating that walking by a smoking area could kill them.

If you agree with that, then we donā€™t need to continue this diatribe.

Tony the Tigger

One exposure of 10 seconds from 20 yards away is admittedly small and I couldn't find a study that literally studied that exposure, however, I was surprised at what I did find:

From: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/10644-secondhand-smoke-dangers

The most credible danger of secondhand smoke at WDW are the cast members who have to work in or near the designated smoking areas. I'm not sure how this danger is going to be alleviated by the new areas that are merely outside the park. Cast members will still have to enter these areas to clean them. OTOH, there is hopefully less danger to cast members working nearby, if they situate these areas away from areas where cast members are required to stand on duty.

But as I've previously stated, I don't think this is a move by Disney to protect its cast members, I agree with @Sirwalterraleigh that it's a calculated marketing move to appeal to non-smokers, to save operational expense, and to free up a marginal amount of space inside the park. I do agree that it remains to be seen how effective it will be.

Iā€™ve never smoked in my life, but it seems those years bartending were worse for me than I realized. šŸ˜•

Tanna Eros

I think katie bug rolls here own crappy cigarettes..Then, blames someone else for her mistakes. She is a common type.
Oh hey now, I roll my own. I prefer rice paper. ;) It's okay if you call me common. I know who I am.
Borderfreak, I saw a vaporizer(?) even smaller than that when I dined with that lawyer. It was square like that. but only slightly larger than a set of VW keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom