News Walk Around the World Bricks to be removed around the Magic Kingdom and TTC

Of course! When you’re a CP and doing Audience Control on a near nightly basis, you become intimately familiar with all of those bricks. I’m sad to see them go, but the amount of people I saw trip on the older wobbly ones was not pretty.
I'm sure! Sad to see them go, but it makes sense. Safety and maintenance first. I know the area will be redeveloped, it'll be beautiful, and one less concern/worry for the folks working in that area, or walking through it. Give it time, Disney will have another way to get our names in the parks!!

Mope

I sent in my email, but based on the ParksBlog, these bricks look kinda crummy, I was hoping for more of an exact replica, instead this is a generic looking hexagon. :(

Last edited:
Maybe it's because I never saw my brick when it was brand new, but yeah, the model bricks really look different, don't resemble pavement.

I'm also bummed that the Mickey hand/heart shape isn't one of the choices. So we can't re-create our brick.

Brad Bishop

Edit: never mind. The likelihood of damaged bricks is too great. If I paid for one, though, I would only want the original that was actually in the park, not a reproduction. LAL tiles, though, those might be more easily salvaged.

I feel like you, and others, aren't even trying here.

You don't sell them back as full bricks but pulverize them into gritty power and sell them in 1oz "Gateway to Magic" bags for $20/ea.

That way you got them both coming with buying the bricks and going to having people pay you to remove the rubbage from the property 1oz at a time.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I feel like you, and others, aren't even trying here.

You don't sell them back as full bricks but pulverize them into gritty power and sell them in 1oz "Gateway to Magic" bags for $20/ea.

That way you got them both coming with buying the bricks and going to having people pay you to remove the rubbage from the property 1oz at a time.

Don't forget commemorative pins! :hilarious:

Safety. Courtesy. Show. Efficiency. Taking a step back, I guess I can understand this from a safety perspective, you can't have guests tripping on them (which is a maintenance issue and has been for years, I'm not letting TDO off the hook about that). Doesn't make me feel any better about their removal, but I get it. They stopped selling them a week before we went there on our honeymoon in 2000, otherwise we would have purchased at least one, if not two.

And... the commemorative bricks look cheap. Sorry, but they do.

Brad Bishop

Safety. Courtesy. Show. Efficiency. Taking a step back, I guess I can understand this from a safety perspective, you can't have guests tripping on them (which is a maintenance issue and has been for years, I'm not letting TDO off the hook about that). Doesn't make me feel any better about their removal, but I get it. They stopped selling them a week before we went there on our honeymoon in 2000, otherwise we would have purchased at least one, if not two.

And... the commemorative bricks look cheap. Sorry, but they do.

Out of their money grabs, I'll say that the bricks actually looked nice outside the gates. It sort of sucks that some were on the path to nowhere out in from of the TTC and up to the canal which holds the water pageant. It really would be nice if you could just walk all the way around the lagoon and, yes, I know there's one guy who'll say, "...but what about the alligators and snakes???" If everything is mowed/trimmed down/back then the really doesn't present any more of a problem than walking across someone's lawn.

The gravestones did not. Perhaps if the plates with the images had been presented in some other way it could have worked.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Out of their money grabs, I'll say that the bricks actually looked nice outside the gates. It sort of sucks that some were on the path to nowhere out in from of the TTC and up to the canal which holds the water pageant. It really would be nice if you could just walk all the way around the lagoon and, yes, I know there's one guy who'll say, "...but what about the alligators and snakes???" If everything is mowed/trimmed down/back then the really doesn't present any more of a problem than walking across someone's lawn.

The gravestones did not. Perhaps if the plates with the images had been presented in some other way it could have worked.

They really do/did look nice. It was always fun to glance down while walking (when it was safe to do so) and see what cities or names you would find. There was a charm to them, almost a homey-feel, after a while, and that's what I'll miss the most.

I never looked at these as a money grab. My only minor quibble was that they never really finished the path, but I understand why it never got done.

cspencer96

Safety. Courtesy. Show. Efficiency. Taking a step back, I guess I can understand this from a safety perspective, you can't have guests tripping on them (which is a maintenance issue and has been for years, I'm not letting TDO off the hook about that). Doesn't make me feel any better about their removal, but I get it.
Because of the sheer amount of these bricks, they could never really find the hazardous ones before either a front line CM or a guest pointed it out. All areas are of course checked for safety issues before being declared clear for guests, and CMs are trained to be hyper aware of potential hazards so that things can be found during operation, as well. However, since these pavers are so old, so heavily trafficked, and so numerous, it was nearly impossible to deal with proactively. Quite a few times during my Program we had to set up stanchions and position a CM by them just to say hi and redirect traffic because a guest had stepped on one paver just right and it snapped in half or came loose. I would think that is one reason for their removal. The other reasons being the sheer inefficiency of the current entry plaza.

ABQ

Because of the sheer amount of these bricks, they could never really find the hazardous ones before either a front line CM or a guest pointed it out. All areas are of course checked for safety issues before being declared clear for guests, and CMs are trained to be hyper aware of potential hazards so that things can be found during operation, as well. However, since these pavers are so old, so heavily trafficked, and so numerous, it was nearly impossible to deal with proactively.
You'd have to get everyone out there every day doing it like a runway inspection:
120914-F-AD344-222.JPG

Not worth the trouble considering, as you said, the number of other problems with the current entrance.

JohnD

This may have already been asked but a co-worker has a brick near the GF and Wedding pavilion. Are the bricks only being removed around MK and the TTC or all of them?

peter11435

This may have already been asked but a co-worker has a brick near the GF and Wedding pavilion. Are the bricks only being removed around MK and the TTC or all of them?

The information from Disney implies that it will be all of them. Beginning with those near the MK and TTC.

ImperfectPixie

The information from Disney implies that it will be all of them. Beginning with those near the MK and TTC.
I heard the ones at Epcot are just being moved? (I'm kind of doubting it, but if anyone knows if it's true or not...)

Unplugged

The images from Epcot will be displayed outside the park.
...and to clarify for those who missed it, the big tomb stones were not being moved, only the images and to another mount.

While I never bought into that "put your face in EPCOT" thing, It would be cool to see the photos as trim around the plants & fountain going in. Sort of like they did with the names at the 911 memorial. Discreet yet classy. It was the mass of the "tombstones" that I didn't like. Bring the photos down to earth and make them feel like a part of the experience rather than a memorial. Hopefully that's the plan for them outside when moved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom