The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

mickEblu

Original Poster
True, but Disney can certainly afford to maintain every AA they've got on a daily basis. Certain someones calling the shots, however, don't seem to think it's as much a priority as it once was.

I think they do a pretty good job. Their always seem to be AAs down for repair. I take that as they care about show. With as many AAs as the park has their is no way that they can all be in working order all the time. The park is open 365 days a year. Stuff is going to break down from time to time. I think most of the critique is surrounding Splash Mountain which they seem to not upkeep as rigorously as the other attractions. Probably due to the sheer number of AAs in that attraction. Maybe they also think that due to the pace of the logs it’s not as important as if an AA goes down in POTC for example.

Rich T

...With as many AAs as the park has their is no way that they can all be in working order all the time. The park is open 365 days a year. Stuff is going to break down from time to time. I think most of the critique is surrounding Splash Mountain which they seem to not upkeep as rigorously as the other attractions. Probably due to the sheer number of AAs in that attraction. Maybe they also think that due to the pace of the logs it’s not as important as if an AA goes down in POTC for example.
They used to have night crews check and repair the AAs every night between park closing and opening. And this is when they had Pirates, HM, Small World, Tiki Room, Country Bears and America Sings all up and running. I do agree that, today, Splash probably gets "backburnered" for the very reason you mention.

On the flip side, the upkeep of the dark ride interiors in Fantasyland in the 70's didn't always seem to be stellar.

mickEblu

Original Poster
They used to have night crews check and repair the AAs every night between park closing and opening. And this is when they had Pirates, HM, Small World, Tiki Room, Country Bears and America Sings all up and running. I do agree that, today, Splash probably gets "backburnered" for the very reason you mention.

On the flip side, the upkeep of the dark ride interiors in Fantasyland in the 70's didn't always seem to be stellar.

I think there is room for improvement. One thing I’ll say though is unless all the AAs have been replaced, they re a lot older now than they were in the 70s.

Rich T

I think there is room for improvement. One thing I’ll say though is unless all the AAs have been replaced, they re a lot older now than they were in the 70s.
Also, the company has changed (big understatement). They used to do nearly all of this stuff in house, on-site. They were set up to repair AA's at a moment's notice. I'll bet the paperwork and middleman factor was a fraction of what it is today, too. Thank goodness for Garner Holt, but I really miss the days when so much wasn't farmed out.

Phroobar

Splash Mountain drew influence from Knott's log ride- but everything from track layout, experience, to the quality of rockwork was improved by Disney for Splash Mountain.
And Garner Holt brought Knott's log ride into the 21st century. They made it better than Splash Mountain imho.

SuddenStorm

And Garner Holt brought Knott's log ride into the 21st century. They made it better than Splash Mountain imho.

Now you're comparing a 2010's log flume to one Disney built in the '80s. Splash does a lot more right than Knott's log ride- it has lovable beloved characters, a beautiful score that utilizes an Academy award winning song, and utilizes a three act story structure very well.

When I said Disney perfected the water ride with Splash- I wasn't saying that it's tech would never need to be upgraded. I meant that like Pirates, BTMRR, Space, Big Thunder- it utilized storytelling, soundtrack, animatronics, setting and creative genius in a way that hadn't been seen before.

It combined thrills, story, and setting in a beautifully placed attraction that far outdoes what Timber Mountain was in the '80s, and I genuinely believe is a more emotionally engaging ride that what Timber Mountain is now.

Timber Mountain is a phenomenal ride. It's effects are beautifully done, and for a regional park- it's one of the best. But it misses a lot of what Splash Mountain has to go beyond "technically impressive ride" to "emotionally engaging experience that sticks with you".

Rich T

In even more unrelated news, how 'bout that "Stranger Things 3" trailer, eh? :D
(Edit in an attempt to link to Disney) Um...part of it reminded me of Something Wicked This Way Comes. :D

mickEblu

Original Poster
In even more unrelated news, how 'bout that "Stranger Things 3" trailer, eh? :D
(Edit in an attempt to link to Disney) Um...part of it reminded me of Something Wicked This Way Comes. :D

I loved season 1. Still haven’t got around to seeing season 2.

shortstop

In unrelated news- the Fox deal went through today. It was shocking to look at the Disney website.

Deadpool on the main page, bleh... I do hope TWDC doesnt further erode its own identity by marketing Fox IPs as equals with original Disney IPs.

SuddenStorm

Deadpool on the main page, bleh... I do hope TWDC doesnt further erode its own identity by marketing Fox IPs as equals with original Disney IPs.

As long as they keep Fox Studios running somewhat independently from Disney, and don't market them alongside each other or have the name "Disney" on any of the advertisement for those properties, it'll be fine. People don't look at Touchstone and think "Disney"

NateD1226

I love the Simpsons. I just hope they don't splatter their Disney magic all over the show. That goes with the rest of the Fox movies as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom