The Status of Muppet*Vision 3D

ppete1975

Yeah, but it was never on the same level as the Toontown that exists in Tokyo and Anaheim. I wish they had built the "real" version in Hollywood Studios instead. Oh well. It would fit so well.

It's not really dated. Roger I suppose could be considered "dated" but I don't. I doubt they build it now or ever but it was once considered for HS/MGM. I wish they had built it.
I thought disney distanced themselves from roger, do kids even know the movie?

Kman101

I thought disney distanced themselves from roger, do kids even know the movie?

Florida acts like he doesn't exist. I mean, the ride still exists, in two Disney parks, shouldn't that bring awareness? I don't know if kids know the movie. Not everything's about them ;) and to be fair, we're in a "90s nostalgia wave" right now. Did you watch any videos or see any pics from Disneyland's 90s night? It was PACKED. It was fairly well done as a fun nod to the 90s (yes Roger was right before, but still, he's associated with the 90s more than the 80s).

And I mean, Anaheim could have dumped the ride for the upcoming MMRR but they didn't. If this were in Florida, they'd have shuttered the ride and replaced it. Kudos to Anaheim for realizing they need all the rides they can get ...

But I do see your point. I'm not really suggesting they build the ride now. I wish they had done it back in the late 90s, when it was part of the plans. But sadly, it never came to be. I wish it had and I wish we had a Toontown with his ride, but I'm not suggesting they clone Roger now. That would NEVER happen, LOL.

Though the park would greatly benefit from a few Fantasyland style dark rides. (Mania doesn't count to me)

Also really wish they had built the Great Muppet Movie Ride. Would be great to have a couple of dark rides. Heck, I'd even take the Monsters Inc. ride from DCA (but I'd always prefer the coaster idea).

The other three parks lack (and will still lack) the variety of things to do that the MK has (Animal Kingdom is slightly better). While other Disney parks have padded out their offerings, the WDW parks just add e-tickets that drive attendance, when they really need to be adding flat rides, dark rides ... it's why I was so disappointed the MK isn't getting a theater. It really needs one. While many don't consider Rat an e-ticket, WDW guests will and even that will drive attendance and draw crowds. I don't want a carousel instead of a Poppins ride (I haven't been in that thread in a while ...) but it wouldn't be the worst to have a carousel and a couple of flats somewhere, indoors. JMO. I know so many have a hard time imagining that. It's also why I was such a fan of the idea of a junior Autopia behind Test Track, but alas ...

The parks really need more to do. What's coming is nice, but they should have been doing smaller additions the years they were stagnating.

Last edited:

ppete1975

Florida acts like he doesn't exist. I mean, the ride still exists, in two Disney parks, shouldn't that bring awareness? I don't know if kids know the movie. Not everything's about them ;) and to be fair, we're in a "90s nostalgia wave" right now. Did you watch any videos or see any pics from Disneyland's 90s night? It was PACKED. It was fairly well done as a fun nod to the 90s (yes Roger was right before, but still, he's associated with the 90s more than the 80s).

And I mean, Anaheim could have dumped the ride for the upcoming MMRR but they didn't. If this were in Florida, they'd have shuttered the ride and replaced it. Kudos to Anaheim for realizing they need all the rides they can get ...

But I do see your point. I'm not really suggesting they build the ride now. I wish they had done it back in the late 90s, when it was part of the plans. But sadly, it never came to be. I wish it had and I wish we had a Toontown with his ride, but I'm not suggesting they clone Roger now. That would NEVER happen, LOL.

Though the park would greatly benefit from a few Fantasyland style dark rides. (Mania doesn't count to me)

Also really wish they had built the Great Muppet Movie Ride. Would be great to have a couple of dark rides. Heck, I'd even take the Monsters Inc. ride from DCA (but I'd always prefer the coaster idea).

The other three parks lack (and will still lack) the variety of things to do that the MK has (Animal Kingdom is slightly better). While other Disney parks have padded out their offerings, the WDW parks just add e-tickets that drive attendance, when they really need to be adding flat rides, dark rides ... it's why I was so disappointed the MK isn't getting a theater. It really needs one. While many don't consider Rat an e-ticket, WDW guests will and even that will drive attendance and draw crowds. I don't want a carousel instead of a Poppins ride (I haven't been in that thread in a while ...) but it wouldn't be the worst to have a carousel and a couple of flats somewhere, indoors. JMO. I know so many have a hard time imagining that. It's also why I was such a fan of the idea of a junior Autopia behind Test Track, but alas ...

The parks really need more to do. What's coming is nice, but they should have been doing smaller additions the years they were stagnating.
That was my point, i think its time has passed 😢

Prototype82

the bland and generic Grand Avenue theme
Honestly, the details of Baseline Taphouse were so refereshing in a park that kind-of, sort-of tries to be old timey Hollywood amid an over abundance of gift shops toting generic Disney merch. The faded Hollywood Tower mural, the old print shop details in a new space... they were onto something really neat with a modern LA theme. But they didn’t push it hard enough. Imagine a vibrant skate shop window with motley graffiti art, a Little Tokyo ramen shop... Faux hipster Grand Avenue could actually be really neat if they went bolder with the story.

As for a Pizza Rizzo retheme? No chance. They tied the “LA” thing into there quite intentionally for G.A.

999th Happy Haunt

Honestly, the details of Baseline Taphouse were so refereshing in a park that kind-of, sort-of tries to be old timey Hollywood amid an over abundance of gift shops toting generic Disney merch. The faded Hollywood Tower mural, the old print shop details in a new space... they were onto something really neat with a modern LA theme. But they didn’t push it hard enough. Imagine a vibrant skate shop window with motley graffiti art, a Little Tokyo ramen shop... Faux hipster Grand Avenue could actually be really neat if they went bolder with the story.

As for a Pizza Rizzo retheme? No chance. They tied the “LA” thing into there quite intentionally for G.A.
There’s a Hollywood Tower mural on Grand Avenue? I love everything ToT but I’ve never seen this, anyone have a pic?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It should be removed, but not for more Star Wars IMO. Enough already! I still think that if TDO MUST put dopey Guardians of the Galaxy anywhere in WDW, the courtyard would have been the place for it. Better there than Epcot. As it is, I wouldn't mind a Disney Afternoon 3D show there featuring the Gummi Bears, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, and especially Darkwing Duck. "Let's get dangerous!" That could be amazing!

If you would purchase enough shares, they'd listen, but until then it's strictly a numbers game.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Very good. Also would facilitate removal of current OMD and Mermaid buildings. Which in turn could allow them to expand TSL and perhaps add something permanent to Pixar Place. That is a lot of land.

Interesting.
Funnily enough, those buildings could have a finite lifespan again (they were at risk before TSL was downsized).

But not for expanding TSL.

SirWillow

The funny thing is that the updated version of a variety show is a chat show...and that version failed. I think the problem with the most recent version was that it focused too much on the "personal" lives of the Muppets and not enough on the show. The second half of the season/series was much better, but, by then, it was too late to recover.

the recent version was almost NOTHING like the The Muppet Show was. Variety show vs an attempt at a version of The Office with Muppets. And their "backstage" stuff attempted to remove a lot of the innocence that makes the muppets so much fun to watch. The "real" people around them can be messed up, but there's little "deep" about the muppets, and trying to make them deep, human, with depressing issues isn't what they are about. and that's why it failed. It tried to make them to human instead of just a farcical satirical look at humans that didn't go to much beyond the surface.

People like the Muppets because it allows them to escape and forget their present and reality around them, and when you try to make the muppets to much about that reality, or in it, then they just don't do as well.

I'd love to see them try to resurrect some form of the original show. Heck, make it a parody of the late night talk show, and what goes on with it. But leave the "reality" parts of it out.

Kman101

Any chance Disney would start a next phase of DHS expansion before the 50th?

They can't even figure out what to put in Stitch's spot ... LOL ... they have a lot of spots that need to be refreshed and I wish they'd just do it ... but when you stagnate for over a decade .... time to play catch up. Lands and e-tickets are great. But they need to continue doing other things, like refreshing/replacing the stage shows (ironically I never expected Indy to be the first refreshed but it feels like Beast and Mermaid will continue to stagnate for years to come, unless they do a "surprise" ... lol)

Kman101

Or One Man's Dream, I bet. We should be so lucky.

A real, permanent exhibit dedicated to Walt, the history, and parks, would be really nice.

I wouldn't have minded if they had decided to put Walt's Dream in the Animation building (although Runaway Railway should have also gone in that spot or somewhere in Animation Courtyard -- or novel concept, I know, but they could have added a Toontown with the Mickey and Minnie ride ... just saying ...). That would have worked really well. I really felt like it's time was numbered but it seems they're letting the Launch Bay stuff stagnate around for the next few years so who knows?

The Studios actually had a lot of potential but they really slacked on the "expansion". I feel bad "dismissing" TSL and Star Wars Land, but they just aren't enough. Trust me, we needed additions of course, but they have to be aware this isn't going to be enough. (I keep forgetting about Runaway Railway ... another case of "should have been an ADDITION not a REPLACEMENT). I guess kudos to using Sunset Showcase for a show instead of just special events (technically we lost a theater in the Premier Theater on the Backlot so again, techincally a replacement not an addition), that's a start I guess. But it's yet another show (though I'm not complaining about being allowed to sit down inside in air conditioning -- hi TSL ...)

Instead of trying to save $100 million here and there, they should have just spent the money and done the makeover of HS right ... we know they had a bunch of other plans that seems to have fallen to the wayside.

Disney Maddux

A real, permanent exhibit dedicated to Walt, the history, and parks, would be really nice.

I wouldn't have minded if they had decided to put Walt's Dream in the Animation building (although Runaway Railway should have also gone in that spot or somewhere in Animation Courtyard -- or novel concept, I know, but they could have added a Toontown with the Mickey and Minnie ride ... just saying ...). That would have worked really well. I really felt like it's time was numbered but it seems they're letting the Launch Bay stuff stagnate around for the next few years so who knows?

The Studios actually had a lot of potential but they really slacked on the "expansion". I feel bad "dismissing" TSL and Star Wars Land, but they just aren't enough. Trust me, we needed additions of course, but they have to be aware this isn't going to be enough. (I keep forgetting about Runaway Railway ... another case of "should have been an ADDITION not a REPLACEMENT). I guess kudos to using Sunset Showcase for a show instead of just special events (technically we lost a theater in the Premier Theater on the Backlot so again, techincally a replacement not an addition), that's a start I guess. But it's yet another show (though I'm not complaining about being allowed to sit down inside in air conditioning -- hi TSL ...)

Instead of trying to save $100 million here and there, they should have just spent the money and done the makeover of HS right ... we know they had a bunch of other plans that seems to have fallen to the wayside.
The original plan for DHS involved Cars Land and Monsters Inc. Land, correct?

DeletedAccount55555

Sounds preposterous to me to dismiss $100 million like it's some small sum.

Could Disney have done the DHS redo differently? Sure, everyone can weigh in on that, but it also had to keep the park operating in some form during this time, which certainly limited how much they can overhaul at once. Can anyone really expect them to close/replace more of the park than they did?

KimAnnFran

This question has come up in my noggin a lot of times, and if anyone wants to answer it here, feel free.
Why, with all the crowd talk, can't they just LEAVE the attractions they have and EXPAND to the outer land areas? Disney owns enough land. This might lower the crowd problem? Is that wrong thinking?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom