The Status of Muppet*Vision 3D

FoozieBear

Original Poster
Here's a link to a story about it, but it looks like the Kermit and Miss Piggy mural, as well as all of the other Muppet thematic elements from that side of the park, have been pained over to a drab grey. Muppet*Vision has seen such an injustice to its area, frequently losing Muppet portions on the exterior, but this one raises new concern about the status of the attraction going forward, and why Disney would be interested in painting over the mural of a still-operating attraction.

Has Disney decided that Muppet*Vision is now on death row, and this is just the beginning of the process of phasing them out? It would be the biggest injustice if it finally closed, but it doesn't look promising.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unplugged

I observed that some time back,they had painted over the giant Kermit facing Star Wars. I didn't think much of it as other building visible from Star Wars are also getting painted. But there are a lot of details (Changing of the Muppet Theater facade, quick closure of Rizzo's, etc., that are making me wonder if the Star Wars expansion will go where the Muppets are. Also, it's already being imagineered should the new movie & Galaxy's Edge do very well. That'd be a lesson learned from Harry Potter; build it right and it's a cash cow, so do indeed build it right and start planning your expansion before this portion is done.
...Total theory of course.

Frontierland's Finest

I could see the whole Muppet's Courtyard area being in "death row". Pizza Rizzo has gone seasonal, which doesn't look good for it's future. Mama Melrose is probably the only thing worth saving if they get rid of Muppet Vision and Pizza Rizzo.

DisneyDreamerxyz

this is really sad...back in January I went in Stage1 and they had almost no Muppet Merchandise in there. I had originally gone back there to see MuppetVision3D and had totally forgotten they don't even operate it at night :( I was bummed.....all I could do was walk around and admire the Muppet theming that was there, and now they are getting rid of that D':

Marc Davis Fan

While I certainly appreciate Muppet*Vision, I also really appreciate the placemaking of Grand Avenue, and would love to see an extension of the latter. The Muppet Courtyard / Grand Park area doesn’t transport guests to another place (mainly due to half-finished “movie set” facades and visually incoherent features).

Cmdr_Crimson

PizzeRizzo will stop being seasonal once SWGE opens. DHS will need every ounce of capacity it can manage once it does, so I would say MuppetVision is safe for at least a few more years.
And hopefully better pizza and a more unique menu than the frozen Nation pizza's they keep selling throughout the resort...Better off selling the flatbread one at least it has a better flavor..

Janir

It is not planned to close anytime soon. The work is not about removing the muppets but about making the area itself more cohesive and improving views from GE. There is already a sizable expansion plot for Star Wars and the muppets/GA area is not it.
Remember the SWGE is completely immersive environment. You're not in DHS anymore, your at Black Spire Outpost. Being able to see Kermit and Miss Piggy from SWGE would be a big breaking of the scenery issue for Disney.
Remember this is the same folks that painted the Tower of Terror the same color at the Morocco building in EPCOT just for the sightlines from with in EPCOT do not get disturbed. ;-)

The Empress Lilly

the bland and generic Grand Avenue
Right? I don't understand the enthusiasm for this area.

They reduce the Muppets presence in their own land to increase the footprint of DHS' blandest area. A non-descript open air bar and a timeshare vending booth. But install them at a beautifully established area (Liberty Square) where they clash with the surroundings and atmosphere.

Cmdr_Crimson

Remember the SWGE is completely immersive environment. You're not in DHS anymore, your at Black Spire Outpost. Being able to see Kermit and Miss Piggy from SWGE would be a big breaking of the scenery issue for Disney.
Remember this is the same folks that painted the Tower of Terror the same color at the Morocco building in EPCOT just for the sightlines from with in EPCOT do not get disturbed. ;-)
Shame they made this a problem with the floating Islands being visible by the front gate by AK for Pandora or are we to "speculate" they are just big rocks from where we enter the front gate?

Cmdr_Crimson

Right? I don't understand the enthusiasm for this area.

They reduce the Muppets presence in their own land to increase the footprint of DHS' blandest area. A non-descript open air bar and a timeshare vending booth. But install them at a beautifully established area (Liberty Square) where they clash with the surroundings and atmosphere.
The Muppets always had a tendency to make it look like Mayhem ensued in the area..Which is a shame it didn't look like the concept art..
Muppet%2BStudios1.jpg

I guess the only place now to see something about "as close" is the new Sesame Street area at Sea World.
screen_shot_2018-05-02_at_10.34.17_am.png

Monorail_Red_77

Here are some pics of this area from my quick trip this past Saturday 3/9.

Here you can see behind the trees on the right. This gray area was the old mural.

Here’s another angle of the same area. Here on the left the gray wall.

But at least we still have Kermit, for now.

Another view of Muppets Exit showing the gray color. With a CM gate to SW GE backstage. SW building visible in background to the left.

Mason The 2nd

Here's what I don't understand. If they're painting over the mural for it to fit with Galaxy's Edge...

THE MURAL ISN'T EVEN FACING THE DARN LAND!!! SO THERE'S NO POINT

I know it's stupid of me to freak out over a mural, but the removal of it has me worried about the future of the attraction.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom