News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

tirian

TRON is one of those franchises that work in a, you don't have to see the movie to understand it, way. Everyone can understand the concept of being sucked into a video game world.

The visuals are stunning, the music is great and it just fits a thrill ride experience better than most franchises released recently.
When you revisit the ‘80s original, it’s a pretty decent movie. You can understand why it became part of ‘80s pop culture; and even though the sequel’s story wasn’t good, the visuals and soundtrack* are definitely some of the best atmosphere in a modern Disney flick.

*which Daft Punk reportedly scored based on the original film because the sequel’s SFX weren’t ready in time

trainplane3

When you revisit the ‘80s original, it’s a pretty decent movie. You can understand why it became part of ‘80s pop culture; and even though the sequel’s story wasn’t good, the visuals and soundtrack* are definitely some of the best atmosphere in a modern Disney flick.

*which Daft Punk reportedly scored based on the original film because the sequel’s SFX weren’t ready in time
It truly was one of those "turn your brain off and enjoy the pretty effects" movies. The original was a bit better personally. I was one of those people that saw it 5 times partly because of friends that wanted to see it and partly because it was a fun enough movie. The soundtrack is still amazing.

I'm just glad to see Tron get some permanent space in the park.

The first Pacific Rim had the same impact on me as well (Gundam movie hype is at max even though I know it won't be great). Too bad the second one was just straight bad.

Absimilliard

TRON is one of those franchises that work in a, you don't have to see the movie to understand it, way. Everyone can understand the concept of being sucked into a video game world.

The visuals are stunning, the music is great and it just fits a thrill ride experience better than most franchises released recently.

It works in the same way as Splash Mountain for me: 99.9% of the guests riding don't know what Song of the South is... yet everyone love the attraction and the characters. For TRON, they concentrated on the most iconic part of the movies and for once, there is no giant storyline "explaining the ride." The premise is simple: blue team is facing other teams in a game of Power Run on lightcycles. You win by crossing gates. Anyone can understand this in a few seconds.

There is another factor that help TRON popularity in Asia: a lot more people ride motorcycles and this make the ride "easier" to approach even if they are scared of roller coasters in general. My girlfriend (from Indonesia) has been on a handful of roller coasters in her life and when I asked her if she want to ride TRON when we go to Shanghai, she said yes after seeing it was a motorcycle.

jaxonp

Just got back from Shanghai, and while Tron is shorter than I'd like, it's a lot of fun. Was more fun than any video can portray. The inside part gave me a RNRC vibe, but was better with moving graphics and the screen with the yellow cycle coming at you. I had a great time of the ride Everytime we rode it.

Same. Also that riding position isn’t very comfortable for long. I’m okay with it’s length due to how uncomfortable I find it but not for how will have to wait to ride it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Not to derail this convo to the TRON:Legacy movie too much, but IMO they missed a HUGE opportunity by not going into detail about the new species that was destroyed. They could have really made the movie special with some more insight into that, instead it was like a 30 second thing.

One of the comments about the movie Jaws, is that when Quint is telling the story about being on the USS Indianapolis, and being attacked by sharks when it sunk...many said that made the movie more special than just a monster movie. It drove home why Quint hated sharks so much.

TRON Legacy had that opportunity and missed it.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I love everything about Tron Legacy, and its ok if you don't. The visual, score, acting were all top notch IMHO. Even as an avid fan and as excited as I am for the coaster to arrive to FL, I question why they chose this franchise over others that are much more well known and more popular to be honest.

jaxonp

Hopefully we will get additional artwork at d23. I'm very interested how the walkup to the show building will compare with what is at Shanghai. It doesn't look like were getting all the water fountains around the building like what was built in Shanghai. And.. hopefully we will learn more about the speedways future. Still hoping it gets a new Tron theme.

jt04

Hopefully we will get additional artwork at d23. I'm very interested how the walkup to the show building will compare with what is at Shanghai. It doesn't look like were getting all the water fountains around the building like what was built in Shanghai. And.. hopefully we will learn more about the speedways future. Still hoping it gets a new Tron theme.

......in an indoor venue and electric vehicles eventually.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom