News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disney's Hollywood Studios opening date

TrojanUSC

So I am wondering about the delay of ROTR. Is it being delayed because construction is just not far enough along so it will, for example, open 3 months late at DL and 3 months late at WDW, or is there something holding up both rides so neither will be able to open until late 2019?

MF: SR has a pretty good reliability rate. RoTR does not, they'd be opening with a very high percentage of downtime and people would... riot.

wdwfan757

As an non-local who goes a few times a year, I think this is the greatest news we could've gotten.

The crowds should be a lot lighter than they would've been without the flagship attraction opening. No fastpass means that you don't need to plan 60 days out to get to enjoy it. Lines just move so much faster without fastpass.

Part of me wonders if there's an added lure for Disney in this as to not have the rides being compared side by side on the same day by everyone who goes to the land. How many people would take it way easier on Navi River Journey if their first experience hadn't been on the same day as flight of passage and they hadn't spent a net 4-5 hours in avatar lines that day? First impressions are major. This will be a huge positive for the future reputation of Smuggler's Run.

The bad news is.... how many people are going to see long lines, get disappointed, walk 25 minutes over to epcot, and drink their sorrows away during food and wine. If the gondolas are open, you're opening a new land within a 25 minute walk, a 30 minute boat, or a "im not brave enough to guess this" gondola ride away from food and wine, which has already become a complete zoo over the years.

mikejs78

Premium Member
From everything I know, the Rise of the Resistance is where the real wow of this land is.

For those guests that don't know about the two phases, I suspect there may be a "Is that it?!?" reaction. When a land is at capacity, you can't see much of the environment, shops and dining will all be rammed. The rides are really the place where you get that full experience, where crowds cannot impact it.

I don't know... When I talk to people who have been to Universal recently, they talk about Harry Potter, the land, not the rides. The rides are almost secondary. I think that may be the case here.

jasonc23

Or if the entire land was open, including both rides and DHS couldn't handle the massive swarm of people. People would then be complaining about the crowds. This may actually help mitigate that by opening in stages.
Totally agree, it's kind of the Disney community way. At the end of the day, it's only a good thing that we get to experience most of the land for a good few extra months than if Disney waited for RotR, and the spreading of rushing opening day crowds is a bonus.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
I am wondering if this will be the case. If people can't get into the land will they just move on to another park. I also wonder if the fact the both rides won't be open in the beginning will mitigate the crowds at all.
MMRR may help, but the park is already packed solid. I don’t think they are going to offer incentives for guest to go to other parks, like they sometimes do.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Incentives? I'm thinking more along the lines of, "Sorry, folks! SW:GE is currently closed due to capacity. For just $97.48, you can attend an exclusive dessert party outside the gates of DHS. Park admission required."

I could be wrong, but haven’t they offer guests without a park hopper a gift card or some token offering to go to another park?

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Goodness, some people really are miserable huh? RotR will be behind schedule with the rest of the land, so with everything else ready to go Disney will just want to get it open (because money, which is fine). I guarantee the people here complaining would also complain if the land was ready (except one ride) and it sat closed for months on end.

Maybe they can take a loan from Bob if they don't have enough so they can finish it faster?

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Honestly, I think too many people are focusing on "ROTR isn't going to be open on day one!" rather than, "wow, SWGE is opening early!"

But that's none of my business. 😉

If you were planning on a trip and have been waiting for it to open, I can see how it would be really frustrating to not be able to see it all or have to wait longer. For us locals though, this is great because we can just go whenever we want.

Someone spending $10k on a vacation for SWGE probably isn't going to be going into it with the mindset of "wow it's open early".

rodserling27

Oh boy...I've had a Labor Day weekend reservation for a while....considering not going now, unless they were doing a similar "reservation" style thing that DL is doing. They should have!!

BoarderPhreak

If you were planning on a trip and have been waiting for it to open, I can see how it would be really frustrating to not be able to see it all or have to wait longer. For us locals though, this is great because we can just go whenever we want.

Someone spending $10k on a vacation for SWGE probably isn't going to be going into it with the mindset of "wow it's open early".
Considering there was nothing but "opening late 2019" before this morning, people should be glad of what they got either way. If you already planned (or worse, booked) your trip without the details, who's fault is that?

flynnibus

Premium Member
You really get one shot at the opening of a land. There is a big media push when it opens. Not so much if you dribble out attractions. The media will report on the opening and every article is going to talk about how it is not completely open yet. Writer’s aren’t going to write another mega article on the land since they already covered all of it except one attraction.

Media is going to have their own access to the land anyway... what is open to the public or not is not a binding issue there.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
For everyone complaining about the early opening, just wondering what your situation is. Are you guys Floridians who go all the time and are annoyed you have to experience twice or travelers waiting to book a trip on opening week?

I really want to see GE, but I don't want to deal with the massive crowds, so I scheduled a trip in mid-September hoping I would be there before the land opened, and then I would go back in a year or two to experience the land with more reasonable crowd level.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Considering there was nothing but "opening late 2019" before this morning, people should be glad of what they got either way. If you already planned (or worse, booked) your trip without the details, who's fault is that?

b0TlZiL.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom