News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disney's Hollywood Studios opening date

HonorableMention

Some good and not so good to look at here.

I think opening without FastPass is actually a great idea. As others have said the lines will probably be more efficient, and there won't be the issue of having to deal with people with FP's when the ride breaks down. That being said, opening without the headliner is a big mistake IMO. Maybe the crowds won't be as crazy, but there will still be a million people lining up to get in. Remember when Mission: Breakout had a near five hour wait on opening day? And that was a ride that many people weren't that excited about. I'm sure there will be plenty who show up not even knowing that ROTR isn't going to be open.

Also, we don't know what kind of issues ROTR will run into before it opens. I'm assuming they just aren't far enough along in construction yet, but if they're touting the ride as one of their most advanced, there's bound to be problems as they start testing. I really hope this doesn't turn into another Diagon Alley situation. Between the vacation package fiasco and Gringotts having daily breakdowns well into its first month, I'm worried that ROTR's delay could be longer than they anticipate. This isn't the same situation, but I'm fearing that the opening process for ROTR is going to get complicated.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
So I am wondering about the delay of ROTR. Is it being delayed because construction is just not far enough along so it will, for example, open 3 months late at DL and 3 months late at WDW, or is there something holding up both rides so neither will be able to open until late 2019?

I would think the phased openings alleviate any pressure caused by construction. ROTR is the more complicated ride, and the last thing they need to do is rush it and have problems with a premature opening.

I do however think this may backfire if the delay is too long. If Pandora opened without FOP and only Navi River, I think many guest would react negavilty. Basically “What the hell is this crap”.

CinematicFusion

This is not just opening with only one ride, it’s worse - this is opening the land without the headliner.

From a PR standpoint, this seems like a disaster. As others have pointed out, the press is only going to produce one round of front page stories, and those stories will now be about a land in which the only attraction is the park’s second Star Wars flight simulator.

And to those saying this will control crowds - that’s only true if Disney limits the number of people admitted to the land in a way that coincides with the capacity of the one available attraction. What has WDW done in the last decade to indicate they would do this?
They opened new fantasy land without the mine train headliner, it will all workout....except for those stuck in the 6 hour line for Falcon.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Good God.... people here will complain about ANYTHING!!!!!!

First, KUDOS to Disney for exceeding expectations and getting these attractions open sooner than anyone (included "insiders") predicted.

Second, KUDOS to Disney for going NO FASTPASS in the beginning. This means the lines will MOVE even if they are long. This means everyone will have a fair shot to ride, not just those lucky enough to score a Fastpass. This will be like the good old days when we had no FASTPASS and the lines moved, we enjoyed the pre-shows, and more.

Third, KUDOS to Disney for going with the early-opening route. This will take care of a lot of pent up demand among the superfans while causing others to wait-it-out until RoR is open. Minus RoR, there is still tons to see and do in each land (I got into Diagon Alley before they opened Gringotts and it was still a wonderful experience... just made we want to come back again for Gringotts). The Millenium Falcon is a super-E ticket, and there's tons more.

You obviously can't please everybody, but these announcements are going to please a lot of people.

Exceeding expectations would be opening on August 29 with BOTH attractions available. Having one of two open on opening day is not "exceeding expectations".

They had no choice but to not go with FastPasses out of the gate. Their IT and web infrastructure wouldn't last 5 minutes before melting down if they did.

"Why open once, when you can open for double the profits!"

So are the perks of being an Iger/Chapek lapdog good? Some people may want to get in on that if they are.

JohnD

Seems like I made the right decision to keep my spring trip late April / early May then take a wait and see attitude about SW:GE. Looks like I was right about waiting until 2020.

Dave B

yes saw that but it does not relate to my answer. The person I responded to was concerned about her friend having booked her trip already and that it happened to fall on the same day that Disneyland will be opening their new land. seems that this thread has people from both coasts discussing the openings of both resorts.
Sorry about the confusion, was not reacting to your post, just posting in general

wdizneew

IMO the staggered opening works at Disneyland because most of the guests that go there are locals. As for WDW, we will see... I don't have an issue because I have an annual pass.

But, after reading about the queue/rides in various articles, it looks like both rides are "experiential" attractions akin to Flight of Passage (i.e., long line but the attraction story from beginning to unload/exit will be a 20+ min experience) which I can see is how Disney is reasoning this out. Flight of Passage itself already takes up a big chunk of the day at DAK.

In my mind, I'm expecting to wait 3+ hours for Smuggler's Run and then spending the rest of the day exploring the 5 restaurants and 5 shops and the land itself. Then I'll come back later for RotR and do the same 3+ hr wait and then exploring the land. Again, this is the view from an AP holder 🤷‍♂️ With the HUGE hype, I'm sure Disney knows something we don't which is why they are doing this.

Dave B

Seems like I made the right decision to keep my spring trip late April / early May then take a wait and see attitude about SW:GE. Looks like I was right about waiting until 2020.
The only way you are right is if you had no desire to see the land when it opens, your quote really does not make sense,

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom