News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disney's Hollywood Studios opening date

PorterRedkey

Two giant openings are better than one mega-giant-crushing-earth-shattering opening.
You really get one shot at the opening of a land. There is a big media push when it opens. Not so much if you dribble out attractions. The media will report on the opening and every article is going to talk about how it is not completely open yet. Writer’s aren’t going to write another mega article on the land since they already covered all of it except one attraction.

I see the result as being less grand than it would have been with the 2 attractions opening simultaneously.

Plus, you still have people who want to experience the 1 attraction. Now there will be no 2nd attraction to break up the lines and help with the crowds. This results in fewer people even getting into the land. This will cause more headaches than if the 2 attractions opened at once.

Disney has taken a no-brainer hit and it can’t stick the landing.

THEY ARE NOT THINKING ABOUT THE GUEST EXPERIENCE AS USUAL!

CaptainAmerica

THEY ARE NOT THINKING ABOUT THE GUEST EXPERIENCE AS USUAL!
What on Earth are you talking about?

Scenario 1: Everything Opens in the Fall
  • September guests get nothing
  • Fall guests get everything

Scenario 2: Staggered Opening
  • September guests get the land and one ride
  • Fall guests get everything

In the staggered scenario, September guests are better off and fall guests get the exact same thing they would have otherwise gotten.

Disney Dad 3000

Guess we will be cancelling that October trip. Had not planned on going opening day, but if I had, this would be a let down. To me, get skyliner and MMRR up and running and then do SWGE full open.

hokielutz

stretchsje

I'm most surprised at no mention of special ticketed events. Disneyland reservations are "free". No mention of Maxpass. Heck, if there are no fastpasses initially, that's probably good for guests, especially the thrifty ones.

Almost entirely good news today. Everyone was expecting a December opening. Odds are, all rides will be open then, so what's the problem? Only Disneyland guests anticipating all rides open for early summer could be disappointed, since RotR won't debut then. Any insiders want to guess on RotR opening dates?

Rodan75

It does feel a bit desperate and quick. But it's also "strategic". They're basically opening the land twice, so to speak. "We want all of you for one ride, but come back months from now for the other one" ... lol. So messy.

Can't believe they're opening one of the highest demanded lands they've ever built and doing a phased opening. At least we haven't heard of paid previews LOL.

I don't know if it's smart or stupid or a little bit of both.

On a previous earnings call, not the last one, but the one before. Iger said that he expected that both versions of Galaxy's Edge would have an impact on this years park performance. Not a lot of folks seemed to pick up on it, but that definitely implied that "fall" meant end of summer travel season vs. beginning of Christmas travel season.

I do think that this version is messy, but I think they are trying to hit Iger's target and this is the best way they can do that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom