News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disney's Hollywood Studios opening date

Tom P.

Let's also not forget that the opening date for Walt Disney World, August 29th, is the Thursday leading into Labor Day weekend, a holiday weekend when everyone is out of school and many are off work. That is bound to impact opening weekend crowds as well.

Bartledvd

No fastpass is only good for the most diehard of fans or locals as i think many who have a short vacation annually would rather use FP than spend a whole day skin to skin in the heat of florida.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
So, with no reservations to get into the land and no fast passes (at least initially), how early do you think people will start lining up on Aug 29th?

CinematicFusion

I got a golden ticket to Galaxy's Edge!!!

Casper Gutman

Opening the most anticipated land ever with one ride to handle the crowds. What could possibly go wrong?
This is not just opening with only one ride, it’s worse - this is opening the land without the headliner.

From a PR standpoint, this seems like a disaster. As others have pointed out, the press is only going to produce one round of front page stories, and those stories will now be about a land in which the only attraction is the park’s second Star Wars flight simulator.

And to those saying this will control crowds - that’s only true if Disney limits the number of people admitted to the land in a way that coincides with the capacity of the one available attraction. What has WDW done in the last decade to indicate they would do this?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
This is not just opening with only one ride, it’s worse - this is opening the land without the headliner.

From a PR standpoint, this seems like a disaster. As others have pointed out, the press is only going to produce one round of front page stories, and those stories will now be about a land in which the only attraction is the park’s second Star Wars flight simulator.

And to those saying this will control crowds - that’s only true if Disney limits the number of people admitted to the land in a way that coincides with the capacity of the one available attraction. What has WDW done in the last decade to indicate they would do this?

Disney made their calculus. We will see what happens.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Don’t fast passes contribute to greater line efficiency and ensuring maximum capacity utilization?
No Fastpass at opening is good.

For one, it'll be fair to everyone.

Second, if the ride breaks down or has issues, they don't have to deal with people who planned to be there at a certain time and only that time. Also, once it reopens, they won't have to deal with a surge of FP people coming in and further backing up the standby.

As much as it would be nice to breeze by the inevitable long wait, this (no FP) is good from an operations standpoint.
The more I think about this, the more I think this may have to do with tiering as well. With two SW rides, tiering becomes a bit easier. But how do you add just one ride to the mix and tier it in this case?

I also think the potential for breakdowns is the other reason, while they get the kinks out.

mikejs78

Premium Member

To many, Smugglers run is the headliner. The ability to fly the Falcon is a dream of many a Star Wars fan. Outside of those of us on this or similar boards, I don't think it will be even noticed. I expect rave reviews and massive crowds.

BoarderPhreak

Let's also not forget that the opening date for Walt Disney World, August 29th, is the Thursday leading into Labor Day weekend, a holiday weekend when everyone is out of school and many are off work. That is bound to impact opening weekend crowds as well.
I'm sure Disney planned it that way. Personally, I wouldn't go near the place that weekend, SWGE or not. Not to mention the heat/humidity. Full pass.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
To many, Smugglers run is the headliner. The ability to fly the Falcon is a dream of many a Star Wars fan. Outside of those of us on this or similar boards, I don't think it will be even noticed. I expect rave reviews and massive crowds.
From everything I know, the Rise of the Resistance is where the real wow of this land is.

For those guests that don't know about the two phases, I suspect there may be a "Is that it?!?" reaction. When a land is at capacity, you can't see much of the environment, shops and dining will all be rammed. The rides are really the place where you get that full experience, where crowds cannot impact it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom