The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
When my daughter was attending Colorado College in Colorado Springs. We flew there for her graduation. Both my wife, mother and my oldest have always had a fear of heights so it seemed like an opportune time to take the rental car up Pikes Peak. 14,000 feet up there and long winding roads that seemed like they were running along side guardrail-less cliffs. It was hilarious (for me anyway) especially when I would yell out that the brakes had given out. Some people just can't take a joke. My youngest and myself were the only ones not laying across the seat bracing for the inevitable crash down the side of the mountain. Apparently, I had a mean streak back then, but, they all survived it. We also took a side trip to the oldest, highest suspension bridge in the country. This went across a ravine that made the river below look like a line and even a full train going through the valley looked like a toy train. The road way on the bridge was made out of wooden planks with about an inch of space between each one that you could see through to the floor of the canyon. Traffic was crossing it all the time and so were tourist that had parked there cars on the other side and walked back to it to look down. When a car went over it the bridge bounced up and down and creaked like mad. After the time on the bridge we had to drive back over it. I was starting to feel that they were not going to leave the place because they didn't want to go over it again.
To my knowledge the bridge is still standing.

We've been to Pikes as well. Didn't stay long at the top--the high altitude pressure made my head feel like it was going to explode! :jawdrop: The thinner air didn't help much either for breathing.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Aw thanks. Learning the language was important to me. I have a few friends who really weren't motivated to learn it because most people speak English anyway, but I love languages and I think it's an important part of belonging in a community. Just the convenience of being able to ask for directions, or where to find an item in the grocery store....it's really important to at least try.

I agree, also any official documents or letters are all going to be in Dutch, same with doctor's instructions etc. so it is actually important to learn the language.

If I was to move to another country that spoke a different language, I'd try to learn some conversational communication, at least. Another language can be difficult to learn, but as long as you pick away at it, over time, you'll learn enough to get around. I admire people like yourself that try, and I'm sure the locals admire that as well. (It's good that they also speak English there, too, as that is a big help as well.)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I agree that it is frustrating when a school system cancels school on a given evening because of a forecast snow for the next day....then that now canceled day materializes and it doesn't even snow or it is just an inch.
Yet I also want to agree with @MouseDreaming 's answer. There are people who would freak out :eek: if they were notified at 6:15am that school was gonna be closed rather than a delayed opening. I'm glad I'm not in charge of making the school closed or not kind of decision 😌

My heart goes out to parents, juggling so many things at once. When I was a school-aged kid, my mother did not work outside the home, so she was always there. They could call off school at the last minute, and it was no big deal. (My father always worked outside the home.)

Nowadays, many parents both work, and perhaps the older school (stay open, or close for potential snowstorm) standards, need some adjusting. Even though I don't have kids, I can understand the extra lead time needed to make arrangements for many parents in today's world.

12in12

T’s base tuition just went up $500 for ‘19-‘20. 😢... they are increasing $500 per year for the next 3 years and then small increments to follow.
Registration went up by $200... and the athletic club is going up $100 more than it currently is, and each sport increasing by $25.

I’m floored.

The email says it’s because they haven’t increased enough per year over the past 10 years, and for the first time are near a deficit.
They will also be checking to see who does “regular envelopes” at weekly mass or online weekly church donations. If not, then you’re considered out of parish and will pay $2500 more in tuition above what in-parish will pay.

This was not a fun Friday night read. A lot of p’d off parents right now.
Yikes, that is a lot of extra money, I would be unhappy too.

Goofyernmost

They will also be checking to see who does “regular envelopes” at weekly mass or online weekly church donations. If not, then you’re considered out of parish and will pay $2500 more in tuition above what in-parish will pay.
When I was growing up, weekly envelopes were a thing, but, not attached to a threat directly. That related stuff and a multitude of others, including the fact the "sermons" were no longer scripture based, but, more a constant appeal for more money, strongly contributed to my leaving the church.. That was usually connected to a burn in hell, future payback for lack of current payment. Week after week after week, it was the same thing over and over again. It was even in grade school directed at the kids, basically trading lunch money for eternal bliss or more current lack of homework. Those not contributing were given double the workload.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

We've been to Pikes as well. Didn't stay long at the top--the high altitude pressure made my head feel like it was going to explode! :jawdrop: The thinner air didn't help much either for breathing.
We didn't stay long either. For some reason I seem to remember there being a "snack bar" on the top that served donuts, but, that might have been from oxygen deprivation to the brain. My letter opener is a gift shop find that I still have today. Must be pretty good quality to have lasted all these years. I use it all the time, but, it still looks like it never has been touched.

21stamps

I find that disturbing. (If it was me, I'd find another Catholic church in your area to join.)
When I was growing up, weekly envelopes were a thing, but, not attached to a threat directly. That related stuff and a multitude of others, including the fact the "sermons" were no longer scripture based, but, more a constant appeal for more money, strongly contributed to my leaving the church.. That was usually connected to a burn in hell, future payback for lack of current payment. Week after week after week, it was the same thing over and over again. It was even in grade school directed at the kids, basically trading lunch money for eternal bliss or more current lack of homework. Those not contributing were given double the workload.

The parish contributes to the school as well. I’ve known that we have to be ‘active members’ to receive in-parish rates.. but I don’t remember ever seeing that line before.
With T’s sports we often go to a different church for mass. Sometimes i put more money in the envelope for our church because of it, but sometimes not. That part has always creeped me out a bit, wondering who’s counting and checking off names and amounts.

I should make clear though.. the situation was a complete parish and school audit and plan.. Our pastor sent an email last month, on parish wide changes and the reasons.. the actual school tuition email came from the principal yesterday. I expected a smaller increase.

Last edited:

21stamps

Trip Report Part 16:

Not so new San Juan.. Photo Spam..

Before we continue.. forgot to mention we also visited a famous plaza in old San Juan, completely full of doves who literally jump on you to get food out of you.

The place was full of stands and food trucks.. preparing for the festivities.

There are also a few statues of interest..

View attachment 353555
The Christopher Columbus plaza.

View attachment 353563
Some food and stuff..

Getting close..
View attachment 353564

View attachment 353556
Bridge towards the cave. crossing one of the largest rivers of PR.

View attachment 353557
Some of the traditional costumes..

View attachment 353558
Inside the cave.. there were areas where only the trees were keeping stone from falling down. Also there were HUGE bee nests (or wasps?)
View attachment 353559

View attachment 353560

Some museum pieces..
View attachment 353562

The nest..
View attachment 353561

Fantastic pictures! Looks like a wonderful time.

That next is crazy scary looking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom