World Of Color Refurbishment

iMax

WOC is 9 years old. It's time for it to be creatively refreshed and what I'm trying to say is the whole show should be Moana now.

Really what they should have done is give it a Fantasmic 2.0 type of treatment. The whole year that the show was down they could have put in/remove certain scenes and update the HD projections to 4K.

I've never seen the show in person or on YouTube but I'm glad it's back just in time for my trip in May.

The_Bellringer

Just watched the live stream... the projections and the lasers were DEFINITELY upgraded. The picture on the water screens was amazing.

BUUT... I’ve never seen so many fountains out! It’s very noticeable. I hope they have people around the clock replacing fountains until the grand opening March 1.

VJ

WOC is 9 years old. It's time for it to be creatively refreshed and what I'm trying to say is the whole show should be Moana now.
the show should definitely be refreshed, it's gotten kinda old to me honestly; like.. the "wow" factor isn't there for me anymore

Darkbeer1

>It was an unusually cold night for Anaheim, but perhaps 1,000 people stuck it out until 10 p.m. — park closing time — to view the 22-minute-long water-sound-and-light show featuring Disney movie characters such as the Lion King, Aladdin, Woody, Buzz Lightyear, Dory and more.

“It was really good, but then I’m a huge Disney movie fan,” said Disney annual passholder Rachel Ruis of Arcadia. She and her companion, Jay Soohoo of San Gabriel, made a special trip down to see the show after they saw Instagram posts about it returning Friday night. Neither had ever seen it before. Soohoo was ambivalent. “I liked it, but personally I like the fireworks better,” he said.<<

>It’s been massively popular at Disney California Adventure ever since it debuted in 2010, involving some 1,200 fountains that shoot different heights, synchronized to the music, and feature state-of-the-art laser projection technology that’s also in use elsewhere, including Disneyland. Hours for the show vary by day. For the immediate future, Disneyland’s website shows one performance each night.

“We are thrilled to bring the classic World of Color show back to Disney California Adventure. As one of our guests’ favorite shows, it is a wonderful ‘kiss goodnight’ at the end of a memorable day at the Disneyland Resort,” Patrick Finnegan, vice-president of Disney California Adventure, said in a prepared statement.<<

SuddenStorm

“It was really good, but then I’m a huge Disney movie fan,” said Disney annual passholder Rachel Ruis of Arcadia. She and her companion, Jay Soohoo of San Gabriel, made a special trip down to see the show after they saw Instagram posts about it returning Friday night. Neither had ever seen it before. Soohoo was ambivalent. “I liked it, but personally I like the fireworks better,” he said.<<

“We are thrilled to bring the classic World of Color show back to Disney California Adventure. As one of our guests’ favorite shows, it is a wonderful ‘kiss goodnight’ at the end of a memorable day at the Disneyland Resort,” Patrick Finnegan, vice-president of Disney California Adventure, said in a prepared statement.<<

Just 1,000 people? Can't the viewing area hold something like 7-10,000? Must have been amazing to see the show with such a sparse crowd if those numbers are right.

SuddenStorm

World of Color is better than the new Fantasmic

Agreed! And honestly it hurts that this is the case. I used to avoid World of Color, since why watch it when you could be watching Fantasmic!, but now with the '17 F! and Mickey's Mix Mess playing in Disneyland, DCA might just have the better night time entertainment, espsecially if they get PTN back.

Part of why WoC is better than the '17 Fantasmic! is because the new Fantasmic! is a mash up of Tokyo's Fantasmic, World of Color, with a little bit of the '92 iteration thrown in for good measure. A purpose built show that relies on elements designed for that show will almost always be better than one that implements elements designed for other shows.

It's why the original Fantasmic! was so great- most of that soundtrack was recorded for the show, and the effects were installed and designed for that show. It was beautifully designed by people who understood what made the films, and even more importantly, Disneyland great and were able to translate that into a unique 22 minute spectacle that was great on it's own merit.

It's why World of Color was a lesser show than the '92 Fantasmic- it was a show that was literally a clip show of Disney films projected on water with cool looking Fountains. The only thing unique about it was the water screens.... but F! was already doing it far better across the plaza. If I'm gonna watch scenes directly from the Disney animated canon, I'm gonna watch them at home on an HD screen without the headache of dealing with the crowds.

It's why the '17 bastardization of what's arguably the greatest nighttime show Disney has ever produced is so darn offensive- they took vocals intended for WoC for the princess medley (or something like that), they took costumes/exit music/design elements designed for Tokyo and tried to shove them into the framework of the '92 show, and took the world of color approach in terms of tech- the "more = better", creating a show where the effects dazzle but distract from the weak core and lack of soul. A show where any sense of focus is lost.

I really wish I could have sat in on the concept/design meetings that took place during the planning of this new show- I'd love to hear the reasoning they gave for the changes they made, cause honestly, most of them make zero sense.

jaxonp

WOC has always been the better show, imo. The setting is beautiful, the music and effects are modern. Fantastic is just okay. Regardless of version, for me. Now if they could just fix the broken fountains ...

D

Deleted member 107043

Just 1,000 people? Can't the viewing area hold something like 7-10,000? Must have been amazing to see the show with such a sparse crowd if those numbers are right.

I was in LA over the weekend, and to be fair the nights were COLD while I was there. Way too cold to be outside watching a water fountain show for 20 minutes.

Darkbeer1

Lisa and I went to the LA Galaxy Soccer Game at the Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson. (Former StubHub Center).

Got there are 6 PM for an 8 PM game, so got in the car around 10:30 PM. All outdoors, wore layers, had gloves, and it was a bit cold, but no big issue.

And many DCA visitors are from out of the area, and presumably used to weather in the 40's.

But what was DCA's attendance on Friday? And how many folks were at Mickey's Mix Magic?

SuddenStorm

WOC has always been the better show, imo. The setting is beautiful, the music and effects are modern. Fantastic is just okay. Regardless of version, for me. Now if they could just fix the broken fountains ...

I'd be curious to hear why you prefer World of Color's setting over the ROA at Disneyland, the WoC music, and effects of Disneyland's Fantasmic. World of Color has never had the allure for me that Fantasmic did (though that's probably different now), so I'm excited to hear the point of view who has always preferred WoC.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They should just move Fantasmic over to the DCA Lagoon, traffic and crowding problem will be solved.

The Lagoon is not setup for that kind of show, no inlet or exit. They'd have to reconfigure I'm guessing at least a 1/3 of DCA just to make something like that possible. Not worth it.

More likely they would just get rid of F! before they'd ever consider moving it to DCA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom