News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

flynnibus

Premium Member
Photo update as of Friday, February 22, 2019. Another day of gondola testing between Hollywood Studios and Caribbean Beach resort stations. Photos at the Hollywood Studios station. Running at full capacity I observed the following:
  1. When running, six gondolas are in a station at all times, always in motion.
  2. Four gondolas with doors open, two on the unloading side and two on the loading side, at a slower speed. The fifth gondola is on the 180 turn at a higher speed between unloading and loading. The sixth gondola is just arriving or just departing.
  3. A gondola is in the station for a total of 1 min and 45 seconds, between release from the cable on arrival to cable grab upon departure.
View attachment 351843

Nicely done with the data - especially like this quoted picture with the line filled up like that. Kudos!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Isn't the wire coming off of the grip attachers / detachers a cable that manually opens and closes the door?

I don't see any extra brush that would pick up juice for a capacitor. Nor do I see an electrical wire. I just see that heavy black wire which, I believe, is the door cable.

Calling @Lift Blog !!

Grimley1968

Isn't the wire coming off of the grip attachers / detachers a cable that manually opens and closes the door?

I don't see any extra brush that would pick up juice for a capacitor. Nor do I see an electrical wire. I just see that heavy black wire which, I believe, is the door cable.

Calling @Lift Blog !!

I could be wrong but I thought the electrical wiring was inside the hanger. The visible cable coming off the grip is definitely for the door opener. In certain photos you can see that going alongside (but not into) the battery compartment to the top of the doors.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

Calling @Lift Blog !!

The red arrow is a wire that is not part of the door mechanism. The blue arrow may be the electrical pickup.

cindy_k

Photo update as of Friday, February 22, 2019. Another day of gondola testing between Hollywood Studios and Caribbean Beach resort stations. Photos at the Hollywood Studios station. Running at full capacity I observed the following:
  2. Four gondolas with doors open, two on the unloading side and two on the loading side, at a slower speed. The fifth gondola is on the 180 turn at a higher speed between unloading and loading. The sixth gondola is just arriving or just departing.
  3. A gondola is in the station for a total of 1 min and 45 seconds, between release from the cable on arrival to cable grab upon departure.
View attachment 351843

View attachment 351844

View attachment 351846

View attachment 351847

Architectural details and exterior paint at the Caribbean Beach resort Skyliner station.

View attachment 351849

View attachment 351850

Skyliner station near the new Riveria resort.

View attachment 351852

The south end of the Riveria Skyliner station, arrival and departure side towards the Caribbean resort station.

View attachment 351853

View attachment 351854

View attachment 351855
That is very exciting. :jawdrop:🆒

Lift Blog

Great stats and pictures. Today's test may not show the densest possible cabin spacing. Seems to me these aren't quite as close together as they could be.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Stat We'd Like to See

So, if anyone is watching the gondolas in motion. And they seem to be at full speed (and not the slow, check them out one at a time speed), here's the one stat you can record that will save a huge amount of calculations:

1. Count the number of gondolas that leave a station in one minute.

That's all we need for the all-important PPH (even though it may be less than what it will be when fully operational). Thanks! 👍

iowamomof4

I imagine the testing of the CBR to Epcot line will be different with the Riviera station and the turn at Boardwalk to contend with.

I've also been surprised at how much we are able to see as I thought someone indicated most of the testing would be taking place at night. Are they doing additional testing at night or is it mostly happening during the day?

Unbanshee

Stat We'd Like to See

So, if anyone is watching the gondolas in motion. And they seem to be at full speed (and not the slow, check them out one at a time speed), here's the one stat you can record that will save a huge amount of calculations:

1. Count the number of gondolas that leave a station in one minute.

That's all we need for the all-important PPH (even though it may be less than what it will be when fully operational). Thanks! 👍

I mean, BlogMickey has already given some pretty good numbers, including dispatch times: http://blogmickey.com/2019/02/photo...skyliner-gondola-system-at-walt-disney-world/

Disone

My understanding is CWA is working on electric gondola doors but they are not available quite yet. The French competitor is live with theirs already. Also these cabins are definitely Omega IVs, not Omega Vs.
See, now I look at them and I see the Omega V. The IV do not have the ventilation features of the V, like slots on the under side and Hopper windows. At least on dopplermyer's site the IV's do not have this feature. They are clearly visible on the skyliner cabin.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
So, going by Blog Mickey's video, it seems they were running the cables at full speed: 17-20 mph. However, there were big gaps between the gondolas reducing throughput down to 850 PPH.

This is obviously not what will be happening when open.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom