News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

iowamomof4

Probably supercapacitors. That's what's used now on wireless trams (streetcars) because they can be charged very quickly. I think they're also used to run the a/c on the Emirates Airline London gondolas.

I enjoy his videos, but his technical info is often sketchy. I appreciated the explanations of the charging and door mechanism that's the first time I've really seen the door operation clearly), but I'm wondering if he's passing on what someone (like Vonroll101) told him.

Yes, I do believe this is where he gets all of his information about how these will work.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Probably supercapacitors. That's what's used now on wireless trams (streetcars) because they can be charged very quickly. I think they're also used to run the a/c on the Emirates Airline London gondolas.

To me it's a question of if they are just using super/ultra capacitors or a hybrid battery or even something like LiPo. I would have to think that LiPo is not a desirable thing due to the stability/fire hazard they bring.. where a capacity solution offers the high # of cycles and material safety advantages.. but it's discharge profile is not attractive for longer uses. Which is why I wonder if they actually use some sort of hybrid power packs.

I'm not clear if the vlogger is trying to say the black shoe above the rope is for the charging in his video... but it's neither here nor there to me.

NormC

Probably supercapacitors. That's what's used now on wireless trams (streetcars) because they can be charged very quickly. I think they're also used to run the a/c on the Emirates Airline London gondolas. They work like a super-fast charging battery, so I understand the confusion.
Yes, I understand the confusion as well. Just trying to clarify for those that do not understand the difference. Batteries produce electricity through a chemical reaction. Rechargeable batteries can have this reaction reversed to be used again. Capacitors store a charge which is rapidly discharged to a load. This is a simplified description.

The Ultracapacitors on Emirates have been problematic. They have not been able to hold their charge long enough for the AC to cool. Most gondolas have the AC turned off while they have tried to fix this.

Edited to add: A small gel-cell or a cheap lead-acid battery would be sufficient for LED lighting. I doubt there will be audio. All announcements can be made in the station.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
To me it's a question of if they are just using super/ultra capacitors or a hybrid battery or even something like LiPo. I would have to think that LiPo is not a desirable thing due to the stability/fire hazard they bring.. where a capacity solution offers the high # of cycles and material safety advantages.. but it's discharge profile is not attractive for longer uses. Which is why I wonder if they actually use some sort of hybrid power packs.

I'm not clear if the vlogger is trying to say the black shoe above the rope is for the charging in his video... but it's neither here nor there to me.

The red arrow shows a wire and the blue arrow might be the electrical contact.

lazyboy97o

I'M looking forward to riding these...the wife, not so much.
Hopefully Disney will accommodate wife swapping on the gondolas.

This is the most disappointing part of the Skyliner, it’s design. It was just sort of dropped down without much concern for context. It doesn’t look like something that is part of a design.

I step into this warily...
I suppose there could be some validity to the idea that there could be a retrofit if passengers indicated too much suffering down the line.
You’re not going to get good results adding on air conditioning after the fact.

Grimley1968

I too was puzzled by that. I thought the black shoe was there just to add stability to the grip, but I suppose it could have multiple purposes.

Anyway, the biggest reason I like the video is the slow motion video of the door closing mechanism. I was almost as curious about that as I am about seeing the "other side" of the Riviera station aside from concept art.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Edited to add: A small gel-cell or a cheap lead-acid battery would be sufficient for LED lighting. I doubt there will be audio. All announcements can be made in the station.

I wonder if the subject of audio may have been confused with emergency systems. I could envision something like a emergency radio in the cabins (tho really overboard.. I don't think its entirely out of paranoid character). A radio is a good example of something that could use low draw power and not require a ton of power for use when called upon.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The red arrow shows a wire and the blue arrow might be the electrical contact.

View attachment 351798

Yeah, I think these screen grabs make it a little more clear...

But still doesn't look quite right to me as a pickup... maybe for what transfers into the bracket/hanger.. but that seems small and the wire seems in a compromising position if the white/bottom area is where any contact is supposed to be made.

I still think it is 'more yet to see...'

Last edited:

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, February 22, 2019. Another day of gondola testing between Hollywood Studios and Caribbean Beach resort stations. Photos at the Hollywood Studios station. Running at full capacity I observed the following:
  1. When running, six gondolas are in a station at all times, always in motion.
  2. Four gondolas with doors open, two on the unloading side and two on the loading side, at a slower speed. The fifth gondola is on the 180 turn at a higher speed between unloading and loading. The sixth gondola is just arriving or just departing.
  3. A gondola is in the station for a total of 1 min and 45 seconds, between release from the cable on arrival to cable grab upon departure.
Added statistic: While I didn't measure the gondola arrival spacing, I could make this educated guess analysis. Since a gondola in is the station a total of 105 seconds (1 minute and 45 seconds), and there are a total of six gondolas in the station at any given time, then 105 seconds divided by 6 equals a gondola arrival or departure about every 18 seconds.

The arrival side at Hollywood Studios station.

Departure side at Hollywood Studios station; departure is to the right in this photo.

Architectural details and exterior paint at the Caribbean Beach resort Skyliner station.

Skyliner station near the new Riveria resort.

The south end of the Riveria Skyliner station, arrival and departure side towards the Caribbean resort station.

Last edited:

DoppelmayrFTW

Yeah, I think these screen grabs make it a little more clear...

View attachment 351807View attachment 351808

But still doesn't look quite right to me as a pickup... maybe for what transfers into the bracket/hanger.. but that seems small and the wire seems in a compromising position if the white/bottom area is where any contact is supposed to be made.

I still think it is 'more yet to see...'
On ski lifts these are used to charge heated seats. you can see this on this lift in Montana: https://liftblog.com/ramcharger-8-big-sky-mt/ note the yellow rails in the terminals, those are copper contacts. No idea what these may be charging.

Darth Snips

So if the Skyliner could be open as early as April, what will happen with the Riviera station? Will we just ride straight through without the doors opening? I’m having a hard time picturing a transport system moving through an active construction zone.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
So if the Skyliner could be open as early as April, what will happen with the Riviera station? Will we just ride straight through without the doors opening? I’m having a hard time picturing a transport system moving through an active construction zone.

Yes, the door mechanism can be set to not open the doors. You will not be going through a construction zone, they will likely finish everything around the station before the line opens.

Dunston

Photo update as of Friday, February 22, 2019. Another day of gondola testing between Hollywood Studios and Caribbean Beach resort stations. Photos at the Hollywood Studios station. Running at full capacity I observed the following:
  1. When running, six gondolas are in a station at all times, always in motion.
  2. Four gondolas with doors open, two on the unloading side and two on the loading side, at a slower speed. The fifth gondola is on the 180 turn at a higher speed between unloading and loading. The sixth gondola is just arriving or just departing.
  3. A gondola is in the station for a total of 1 min and 45 seconds, between release from the cable on arrival to cable grab upon departure.
View attachment 351843

View attachment 351844

View attachment 351846

View attachment 351847

Architectural details and exterior paint at the Caribbean Beach resort Skyliner station.

View attachment 351849

View attachment 351850

Skyliner station near the new Riveria resort.

View attachment 351852

The south end of the Riveria Skyliner station, arrival and departure side towards the Caribbean resort station.

View attachment 351853

View attachment 351854

View attachment 351855
Wow they have so many out on the wires!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom