Solar power farm coming to Disney

Lensman

While true, the land can't be simultaneously used for anything else, whether it be conservation land or farmland or developed land. To generate all of the electricity for the state of Florida (if you had storage for nights and cloudy days) would probably take around 700,000 acres. That's about half the acreage of Everglades National Park. That's a lot of land to dedicate to solar panels.

It would make MUCH more sense to encourage rooftop and parking lot coverage solar. In both cases, there is no downside from a land use perspective. Roofs are just there and parking lots would benefit from the shade produced.

The most efficient solar panels are about 22% efficient. If that could be doubled, it would make solar much more practical from a land use perspective.
I've been thinking about cutting down a tree that currently shades part of my sister's solar array for part of the day in the winter. As a result I had done a little research about the tradeoffs between the carbon sequestration that trees provide vs the CO2 avoidance of solar generation. Let's do the math with Disney's 50 MW farm:
In Lake Buena Vista, a 50 MW pv array will generate about 75 gWh of energy per year, according to the NREL's pvwatts calculator. This is an offset of 116 million pounds of CO2 per year, according to the EPA carbon offset calculator. Again according to the EPA calculator, this is equivalent to the CO2 sequestration of 62,000 acres of forest. Disney's new farm take up 270 acres or so, right?

I appreciate trees as much as the next guy, but my understanding is that it's well-worth cutting down some trees to put up solar PV.

Speaking of retention ponds, though, I have read that one use case for new two-sided solar modules is on floating sun-tracking solar arrays on lakes. I'm not sure why since the albedo of water is generally higher than land.

And why hasn't anyone put underwater turbines in the Gulf Stream yet?
I'd guess that it's the economics. Very few of the "power from the sea" testbed projects showed great economics. Plus the economics of wind and especially PV have focused everyone on those, where you can build a plant and actually make money.

Not to nitpick, but the solar farm producing 25% of Disney's energy seems in error given that 50MW farm is probably only doing about 18MW/h on average (rough guess) and Disney's power usage on average is 138MW/hr according to my Google search.
I seem to recall that it was a "max" or "as much as" figure, which I took to mean that at some point in the day, there would be a few minutes where 25% of power was coming from the contribution from the solar farm. I don't think it was an overall or average figure.
During peak sun-hours, up to 25 percent of Walt Disney World's power needs will be met through solar energy.

DisneyCane

I've been thinking about cutting down a tree that currently shades part of my sister's solar array for part of the day in the winter. As a result I had done a little research about the tradeoffs between the carbon sequestration that trees provide vs the CO2 avoidance of solar generation. Let's do the math with Disney's 50 MW farm:
In Lake Buena Vista, a 50 MW pv array will generate about 75 gWh of energy per year, according to the NREL's pvwatts calculator. This is an offset of 116 million pounds of CO2 per year, according to the EPA carbon offset calculator. Again according to the EPA calculator, this is equivalent to the CO2 sequestration of 62,000 acres of forest. Disney's new farm take up 270 acres or so, right?

I'm not really that concerned about the 270 acre solar farm on Disney's property. It's the extrapolation to trying to power Florida off of solar. It is the only renewable resource really available in the state that is practical (except maybe turning sugar cane into ethanol). From the air the state will look like a giant slab of shiny, dark blue stone.

I'm not mainly talking about CO2 sequestration. I'm talking about wildlife habitat or use of land for farming. Also, do those calculators take into account the energy for mining the raw materials for, the manufacturing of, the installation and maintenance of the solar panels? I'm sure it's still a lot, but probably overstated a bit.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not to nitpick, but the solar farm producing 25% of Disney's energy seems in error given that 50MW farm is probably only doing about 18MW/h on average (rough guess) and Disney's power usage on average is 138MW/hr according to my Google search.
It’s more like 10% of total annual power usage.

Pretty close. RCID also owns some power generation so the total usage is a little more than just the purchased energy. Table 2.1 on page 33 lists the total annual energy usage as roughly 1.136 million MWHs. The news release said the new solar facility is expected to generated 120,000 MWHs a year so it’s roughly 10% of the total usage.

As far as I know FL still doesn’t have a renewable energy standard like most states but if they get around to passing one it could require a percentage of power purchased to be renewable. The average state is probably about 10% to 20% at some future date 5+ years out. CA wants 50% by 2050. This type of project gets RCID ahead of the game if/when the requirements are added.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm not really that concerned about the 270 acre solar farm on Disney's property. It's the extrapolation to trying to power Florida off of solar. It is the only renewable resource really available in the state that is practical (except maybe turning sugar cane into ethanol). From the air the state will look like a giant slab of shiny, dark blue stone.

I'm not mainly talking about CO2 sequestration. I'm talking about wildlife habitat or use of land for farming. Also, do those calculators take into account the energy for mining the raw materials for, the manufacturing of, the installation and maintenance of the solar panels? I'm sure it's still a lot, but probably overstated a bit.
The vast majority of solar being installed these days can be installed on the roofs of homes and/or industrial buildings. Think about how many warehouses, office buildings or in the case of FL hotel roofs can be used instead of open land. Another popular but slightly more expensive application is over parking lots. In a state like FL it can be a blessing most of the year to have covered parking to keep your car out of the sun. FL could go 100% renewable without installing a single additional solar panel over Wilderness.

As far as the environmental impact of the panels, that’s a bit more complex. There is some negative impact but if you have ever seen what a coal power plant looks like or even natural gas there’s a ton of environmental impact from the raw materials used to build them as well.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Another example of the harm clean wonderful solar can cause. Plus think of this, 270 acres of solar panels to run 2 parks. That removes over 400 acres of natural trees and plants. Does anyone actually believes that is being environmental? I am not trying to say Disney is wrong in this but please don't tell me that it does not have a real environmental impact because it does. I agree with others that Disney should cover all the parking lots with solar. At least they would not be harming more acres but the cost would be much higher if done by building a roof over the parking lots first.
Parking lots would be more expensive (slightly) but much more practical since they could double as shade for parked cars. Not sure why they haven’t moved on doing that other than simply cost savings. When you add up the lots at 4 theme parks, 2 waterparks, 25+ resorts and all of the back stage spaces for workers you get to a whole lot of potential space for solar.

Phil12

Lensman

Using the Disney solar farm as an example, it would take about 1% of the land area of Florida in order for solar to provide 50% of Florida's current electricity usage. This is using BNEF's latest projection of the U.S. energy mix in 2050 given market forces.

As a comparison, agriculture in Florida currently accounts for 22% of land usage in Florida.

There's a bit of an interesting circular analysis to figure out the carbon cost of manufacturing, installing, and maintaining solar panels. Current energy payback analysis shows 1-3 years to recover the energy costs of manufacturing and installing panels. But a key question is, what is the carbon cost of this energy? This assumption would obviously vary depending on whether you used renewable energy or if you used coal-generated energy to manufacture panels. Anyway, so in the ridiculously worst case of using a lignite coal plant to generate the power to manufacture your solar panels, the carbon sequestration numbers I mention in my post would be overstated by 4-12%.

disneyfireman

Every earth day....i turn on every light in our house for 24 hours....why? I just don't care.
I also try to use as much energy as i can afford..why? because thats how i roll.
I love fossil fuels and i love cranking up the AC......sue me.
I also drive for no reason...just to look around wasting gas...
Oh, and when we built our house...we cut down a crap load of trees...i will never re plant. I hate trees.
And in the end, Nothing will change 500 years from now....people will still say"we only have 12 years left" lol

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Didn't one of the tech whiz kids invent photovoltaic asphalt or something like that?

You mean having people drive and park on glass that has to be extra hardened to drive on and making sure the in-ground panels never really face in the direction of the sun (i.e., southward) as the cars and surrounding landscaping and buildings block the sun?

One of the dumbest ideas ever and has gone nowhere.

DisneyCane

The vast majority of solar being installed these days can be installed on the roofs of homes and/or industrial buildings. Think about how many warehouses, office buildings or in the case of FL hotel roofs can be used instead of open land. Another popular but slightly more expensive application is over parking lots. In a state like FL it can be a blessing most of the year to have covered parking to keep your car out of the sun. FL could go 100% renewable without installing a single additional solar panel over Wilderness.

As far as the environmental impact of the panels, that’s a bit more complex. There is some negative impact but if you have ever seen what a coal power plant looks like or even natural gas there’s a ton of environmental impact from the raw materials used to build them as well.

That's what I'd like to continue to see happen. Put panels on roofs and over parking lots all throughout the state (especially parking lots to shade my car when I park). For home roofs hopefully things like Tesla's solar roof tiles will continue to develop and come down in cost so that solar can be done attractively. Regardless, rooftop and over parking lot solar is an example of "green" energy installation with very few negatives other than cost.

The one positive of the utility scale solar farm is the panels are all concentrated in an area for maintenance and cleaning. I assume that the panels need to be cleaned to keep them operating at peak efficiency. There is dirt/dust and bird droppings that will block some of the sunlight.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Phil12

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom