Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Smooth

Purduevian

IMO, they should do a "take a number system", where you will get notified by Disney's app when to go get in line, and enjoy the rest of the park until that time. That way people aren't standing around forever.

Part of the issue with this idea is the rest of the park does not have the capacity to hold the SWGE line and the regular attendees. This might work in DL with its 40+ rides, but outside of SWGE DHS only has 6 rides.

Side note: Hogsmead did this in IoA, I know because I was given a return ticket once to come back in an hour.

CJR

Part of the issue with this idea is the rest of the park does not have the capacity to hold the SWGE line and the regular attendees. This might work in DL with its 40+ rides, but outside of SWGE DHS only has 6 rides.

Side note: Hogsmead did this in IoA, I know because I was given a return ticket once to come back in an hour.

Oh, good to know about Hogsmead, I wasn't in Orlando at the time.

The thing about DHS vs DL here is will there even be a lot of people visiting DHS who have no interest in SWL? I'd guess nearly everyone will want to experience the new land and those who don't will probably enjoy one of the other three theme parks. Capacity absolutely is an issue, and arguably one of their own creation. When you factor the many shows, shops, and restaurants though, it does get better. I'd say that I'd personally rather sit and watch BatB for the 1000th time than spend four hours in the sun standing in Grand Ave for hours. Just my opinion though.

MrHappy

A virtual line is good if, unlike FP, you don't also have a standby line. That gives Disney the opportunity to put a hard limit on the number of people entering the ride or land or park per day.

The sticking point is distributing those virtual line tickets. If you have to show up in person, then it creates the madness of people camping overnight and a huge crowd in the morning. That kind of chaos is what the virtual line ticket was supposed to avoid. Not only that, you have people going through the hassle of showing up at 5 AM and finding out all the virtual line tickets are gone.

So, then Disney can distribute them online, like they do with FP+s. The tech is there. People know if they can get in or not. The angry mob that can't get in are sitting as individuals in their homes rather than as a mob at the gate screaming at CMs. But how do you distribute them online? People with Disney resorts getting preferential treatment? Randomized lottery?

The best solution would be to randomly place golden virtual line tickets in Mickey Bars.
You may have something here with the virtual ticket. Considering how data hungry Disney (and most companies) are - this could not only help create an organized land touring system, but be data gold for the nerds. Just think, they can see when you go to SWGE, how you interact with the land....the park...the world, then what you do next, where you came from, are you staying on or off property, what you smell like (well you get the idea). Sure, some of this data can come via the MagicBands, but I would think if you need to download a SWGE App with Geo Tracking, Audience Analysis, and Push Notifications for example, they can learn a lot lot more. (ha, imagine if they charge for this app! LOL!)

iowamomof4

Now imagine if you could queue yourself up via the app to enter SWL once you're in the park, not unlike mobile order and hitting the button "I'm here" to let them know to put your order together. Then Disney could push a notification to you where you would have a set amount of time (30-60 minutes?) to arrive at the entrance to the land or your spot would be given to the next person in line. I don't believe they'll actually do anything like that, but it would be nice if they could figure something out OTHER than just having to wait in an 8-hour line to HOPE you will get into the land.

MKeeler

You know what they could do. They could re-theme Muppets to be a Star Wars based Muppets show. and use that as a queue time killer. Think of Dumbo in MK. You get in line at Muppets go through the show and dump you out right inside SWGE. Oh well, sounded good for a minute in my head at least. LOL

Sorry for the late bump, but I've been mulling this over the past week. As the discussion has been on preparing for the massive crowds and logistics of the opening of Galaxy's Edge, and in particular, preparing for re-distribution of crowds, this idea stuck out in my head.

If Disney knows the masses are going to be overflowing in DHS for Star Wars, why not lean heavily into that and go BIG for the opening months of the space. Star Wars Weekends on steroids.

MuppetVision*3D overlay with the Muppets spoofing the entire Star Wars saga in 15 minutes. Star Tours with update for Episode 9 location. Hyperspace overlay on Rock'n'Roller Coaster. Disney Characters in their Star Wars Costumes (or at least Jedi Mickey). Special guests with shows in the Theater for the Stars, ABC Sound Studio, Premier Theater, etc. Meet and greets with rare Star Wars characters in Launch Bay and around the park.

Open Star Wars content around the park at the same time that Galaxy's Edge opens to disperse visitors throughout the park to experience it all and to allow those who will not get into Galaxy's Edge to still feel like they've gotten a Star Wars experience.

If Disney is not going to provide enough competing attractions to compensate, at least the overlay route could help offset.

po1998

Sorry for the late bump, but I've been mulling this over the past week. As the discussion has been on preparing for the massive crowds and logistics of the opening of Galaxy's Edge, and in particular, preparing for re-distribution of crowds, this idea stuck out in my head.

If Disney knows the masses are going to be overflowing in DHS for Star Wars, why not lean heavily into that and go BIG for the opening months of the space. Star Wars Weekends on steroids.

MuppetVision*3D overlay with the Muppets spoofing the entire Star Wars saga in 15 minutes. Star Tours with update for Episode 9 location. Hyperspace overlay on Rock'n'Roller Coaster. Disney Characters in their Star Wars Costumes (or at least Jedi Mickey). Special guests with shows in the Theater for the Stars, ABC Sound Studio, Premier Theater, etc. Meet and greets with rare Star Wars characters in Launch Bay and around the park.

Open Star Wars content around the park at the same time that Galaxy's Edge opens to disperse visitors throughout the park to experience it all and to allow those who will not get into Galaxy's Edge to still feel like they've gotten a Star Wars experience.

If Disney is not going to provide enough competing attractions to compensate, at least the overlay route could help offset.
Don't forget Elsa vs. Vader in a winner take all match.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom