News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

Bender123

WAIT........ takes a look back at this thread over today....... Martin gives cryptic clues.....

Just so we are clear..... This WILL Still remain SSE and not a new ride (something like Time Racers) RIGHT?!?!?!?!

Much further back we had a pretty good overview of what the changes would be...assuming the goals are still pretty much the same as they were in October.

Very likely: Updated technology, new scenes and some scene replacement scenes on the way up, but the overall feel would be fairly unchanged. New ending for the way back down.

Unconfirmed, but looking likely: New load and unload areas, upgrade/overhaul/replacement of the Omni system.

Possible: Phoenicians now all look like Capt Jack Sparrow and speak in binary code.

Unlikely but possible: All AAs now face the walls and look away from guests after the successful "Newspaper boy" testing

aladdin2007

WAIT........ takes a look back at this thread over today....... Martin gives cryptic clues.....

Just so we are clear..... This WILL Still remain SSE and not a new ride
(something like Time Racers) RIGHT?!?!?!?!

Im wondering the same at this point,,but I dont think anything like time racers however the long closure still makes me wonder....as well as did this get a new sponsorship deal by any chance? ...probably can't comment but will be interesting to watch all this unfold over next few years.

GlacierGlacier

Outside of track and overall systems upgrades, something I'd like to see for the ride system is asynchronous loading for ADA/Wheelchair guests.

The slowdown that occurs with any Omnimover attraction detracts from the guest experience.

I don't know of any tech like this for classic omnimovers.

Simulated Omnimovers (where the ride vehicles are not directly connected but still operate in a chain) like Forbidden Journey accomplish this well, with separate load/unload without a conveyer for ADA guests.

With Martin's post about WDI looking into the ride system for this attraction, a simulated Omnimover like that would be useful, and quite interesting.

Not sure how it'd work with the steep slopes of SSE. But I'm not a mechanical engineer 😂

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So...
Extensive refurb, possibly including
  • Replacement of tracks and cars
  • Taking over or removing project tomorrow to provide a pre-show and a new post-show
  • New narration
  • New dioramas, especially for the Super-network, I mean, Internet

When?
  • By the end of 2019
  • Taking two to three years

The most important thing is to replace the first scene which is... SCREENZ!!

tparris

Hey there, @marni1971.
Can't you say whether there will be any IP in the update?

Also, I am curious if you consider this a refurb of SSE (Same theme, track/load/unload updates) or would you say it is a reimagining of SSE (new theme & artistic style, along with the other infrastructure updates).
With how long it’s expected to take as well as the extent of the work they will do, I would say it’s a reimagining. Can’t speak for Martin, of course.

PorterRedkey

With how long it’s expected to take as well as the extent of the work they will do, I would say it’s a reimagining. Can’t speak for Martin, of course.
Do you have any knowledge of a new theme or artistic direction? I was asking @marni1971 because he is the one with knowledge of the project, but if you also have info on the project too I would be happy to hear it.

I like your avatar gif.

HMF

Hey there, @marni1971.
Can't you say whether there will be any IP in the update?

Also, I am curious if you consider this a refurb of SSE (Same theme, track/load/unload updates) or would you say it is a reimagining of SSE (new theme & artistic style, along with the other infrastructure updates).
Keep in mind the 2007 refurb was marketed as a Re-Imagining. So I would expect a similar level of change here if not a bit more. My gut feeling is the rides concept/story is safe until I am proven otherwise. Wish I could say the same for the rest of the park.

Last edited:

tparris

Do you have any knowledge of a new theme or artistic direction? I was asking @marni1971 because he is the one with knowledge of the project, but if you also have info on the project too I would be happy to hear it.

I like your avatar gif.
Ah, I was pretty much just restating what Marni has already said, I’m no insider lol. Also I got the gif from E82’s Twitter.

Rich Brownn

Outside of track and overall systems upgrades, something I'd like to see for the ride system is asynchronous loading for ADA/Wheelchair guests.

The slowdown that occurs with any Omnimover attraction detracts from the guest experience.

I don't know of any tech like this for classic omnimovers.

Simulated Omnimovers (where the ride vehicles are not directly connected but still operate in a chain) like Forbidden Journey accomplish this well, with separate load/unload without a conveyer for ADA guests.

With Martin's post about WDI looking into the ride system for this attraction, a simulated Omnimover like that would be useful, and quite interesting.

Not sure how it'd work with the steep slopes of SSE. But I'm not a mechanical engineer 😂
They can do that in FJ because the vehicles are actually individual cars and not connected to each other - they basically drive themselves around the track - more like Toy Story Mania.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom