Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

mickEblu

At the end of the day, this is only a two story building we're talking about so the drop, whether fast or slow, will in no way be as intense as ToT. They may add some motion to the descent to make it seem more intense but you definitely will not get the G forces you're getting when the elevators drop

Didn’t the article say the second level was 40 feet up?

britain

1547765082153.png

This is all just my guesswork, but that 28 minute number seems about right if you start all the way back at the first pre-show.

Rich Brownn

I have a feeling the "big room" (when you arrive on the destroyer) will be more of a large queue with an ongoing show of some sort that will make up a bulk of the 28 minutes.

BrianLo

One of the factors we might often be overlooking is that, because SWGE will have TWO e-tickets, it's possible that most people will only choose one of them (due to the lines; plus, the better attraction [RotR] will appeal more to Disney / theme park fans, while the more iconic "Star Wars" experience will appeal more to Star Wars fans). As a result, we might be looking at the equivalent of ONE must-see attraction with an approximately 30,000 THRC (just below PotC). Put another way, it would be as though FoP (the ONE "must-see" of Pandora) had approximately double its current capacity. (Obviously the demand will be much higher than for Pandora, though.)

Also, the "Disneyland first" strategy is brilliant. It creates these stages:

1: Disneyland has annual passholder previews (and perhaps paid previews, DVC previews, etc). Note that annual passholders account for much of Disneyland's attendance, very different from WDW.

2: Disneyland blocks out most annual passholders - which removes a huge percentage of the people who normally visit the park - and opens SWGE to the public. Super Star Wars fans and super Disney / theme park fans descend on Disneyland... but a lot of "vacationers" wait for the WDW version (since WDW is the vacation/tourist destination).

3. Walt Disney World holds previews, perhaps annual pass previews, paid previews, DVC previews, etc.

4. Walt Disney World opens SWGE to the public. Super Star Wars fans and super Disney / theme park fans have already visited it at Disneyland (which is also a park with much higher capacity).

Obviously, it's still going to be insanely crowded. And obviously, DHS should have a lot more capacity. But, considering the current circumstances, the plan for opening the lands is really clever, and probably the best way to mitigate the crowds as much as possible.

Not to mention Runaway Railway will also mitigate some of that further dissatisfaction by offering a third significant distraction. This whole situation will be very interesting to watch, it's pretty much new ground for Florida outside of new parks.

I think the FP+ system helps with the guest mentality, likely limiting guests to one of the three, meaning many more people should be able to secure something new they perceive has merit.

BrianLo

Many good points, but really both Star Wars fans and Disney fans will want to see both attractions. I don't deny that the general public has been focusing on the Falcon simply because it's an easier concept to quickly pitch (and Disney wants to keep RotR under more secrecy). But it won't take long for every guest to say "Okay, what is there to do here, because I want to do it all."

Having said that, I do think it was very smart to build two E's. This way, if you only get on one during your visit, you'll still feel like you experienced something great.

I think this basically forces DHS into a two day park in most itineraries. There is going to be a lot of perceived benefit to getting the FP+ for one ride and a different day for the other. On top of the fact most people are probably going to do the full standby gig at least once again for both.

Epcot is in for a world of pain - or is basically going to become the gondola trip food court (of DHS).

View attachment 341628

This is all just my guesswork, but that 28 minute number seems about right if you start all the way back at the first pre-show.

Nice infographic!

I think the interesting piece is that the FP queue is basically going to be a 'complete' 30 minute experience. It's sort of the weird future of Disney parks. The queue is now part of the total ride experience. I don't have a problem with that per say, but it's definitely how they are starting to design their rides.

djkidkaz

I think this basically forces DHS into a two day park in most itineraries. There is going to be a lot of perceived benefit to getting the FP+ for one ride and a different day for the other. On top of the fact most people are probably going to do the full standby gig at least once again for both.

Epcot is in for a world of pain - or is basically going to become the gondola trip food court (of DHS).

Nice infographic!

I think the interesting piece is that the FP queue is basically going to be a 'complete' 30 minute experience. It's sort of the weird future of Disney parks. The queue is now part of the total ride experience. I don't have a problem with that per say, but it's definitely how they are starting to design their rides.

It’s good it gets people off their phones.

doctornick

I don't have a problem with it at all -- in fact I rather like the queue as preshow idea -- but the issue is when FP+ bypasses this element making it a lesser experience.

No meaningful part of the ride should occur before FP+/standby merge.

BrianLo

Has that been confirmed?

Depends on where you draw the line at meaningful and what they do in the standby queue. I assume the standby queue will have scenes akin to Flight of Passage's Cave scene or the nature overtaking the old tech scene.

We don't know if it will feature anything as egregious as the lab scene, which is a pretty major queue/show element in a sense, featuring a major animatronic.

ROTR the FP line definitely looks like it probably goes through the story pre-shows, the spaceship pre-show and then the major loading zone with all the AA storm troopers. But is everything before that nice static switchbacks or actually quite meaty?

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I'd be shocked if they didn't. Longer hours like with Pandora -- except keep the WHOLE PARK open, not just the land (that was beyond stupid IMO). Plus extra pay "opportunities" to get in early or stay late and/or a VIP evening tour like in AK. There is no chance they don't rake it in via many $$ avenues here. And any economist would tell you they SHOULD... supply, demand, price and stuff... ;)
I’d pay ... and I’m pretty sure 51 year old women aren’t even close to their targeted demographic. 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom