Mickey's Mix Magic - New Firework Show 2019

Curious Constance

In Disney's defense, there are only so many words that begin with M, and they obviously can't have a show with Mickey as the subject matter and not surround it with other words beginning with M. Mickey's Magical Map, Mickey's Mix Magic. They were kinda stuck with Magic and one other M word.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
In Disney's defense, there are only so many words that begin with M, and they obviously can't have a show with Mickey as the subject matter and not surround it with other words beginning with M. Mickey's Magical Map, Mickey's Mix Magic. They were kinda stuck with Magic and one other M word.
Can't wait for Mickey's Molting Miasma!!

SuddenStorm

I'm just surprised the name wasn't Believe... In Mickey's Magical Mix

SuddenStorm

This whole Mickey Celebration seems geared towards the two and under crowd. I feel like we're watching the Disney channel during preschool time.

Which is sad, since Mickey is a character that's relevant to every person alive. This celebration could have elements geared toward Mickey history and for adults, as well as shows and merchandise for children.

How cool would it be if they had photo opportunities with older iterations of the Mickey costume- so people who were children in the 60s-90s can recreate photos from their youth?

Or if they updated the tech in the Main Street Theater to make the cartoons more visually appealing?

Why not update Mickey and the Magical Map?

Maybe a Mickey focused overlay/decorations in Toontown to show the "toons" celebrating his birthday?

Having everything appeal solely to the tween and under demographic is greatly limiting the appeal of the celebration, since I don't think anyone older than 10 will be going to Disneyland to see Mickey's Magical Mix Mess.

D.Silentu

Well, I'm reminded of that parade from some years back, which fired confetti as it went along. Surprising that for an anniversary celebration of Disney's most iconic figure that they decide now is the time to abandon the nostalgic approach. Incidentally, some have spoken up for the use of the new cartoon style, but in my view this soundtrack matches it perfectly.

SuddenStorm

Wait... this is a Steve Davidson show???

I've long been of the opinion that Davison is over hyped- and peaked with the Remember... Dreams Come True fireworks show in 2005. Some of his earlier stuff like Small World Holiday and Believe... There's Magic in the Stars was enjoyable, but his stuff has been largely hit or miss since. His over reliance on the "clip show" method of show production is incredibly detrimental and creates an experience that seems bland and lacks originality.

World of Color and each of its many iterations? Visually amazing- but a weak show that lacks soul. The Neil Patrick Harris one was especially bad.
2017 Fantasmic? Yikes. Lacks any of the heart and emotional resonance the original had.
Disneyland Forever? Enjoyable- but once again, a clip show of the same songs every other Disney show has.
Pixar Play Parade? Yeesh
Paint The Night? I loved it when it came out, but I've become disillusioned with it over the years- it doesn't have the same spark for me now that it did in 2015.

And don't get me started on the Haunted Mansion Holiday.

VJ

I've long been of the opinion that Davison is over hyped- and peaked with the Remember... Dreams Come True fireworks show in 2005. Some of his earlier stuff like Small World Holiday and Believe... There's Magic in the Stars was enjoyable, but his stuff has been largely hit or miss since. His over reliance on the "clip show" method of show production is incredibly detrimental and creates an experience that seems bland and lacks originality.

World of Color and each of its many iterations? Visually amazing- but a weak show that lacks soul. The Neil Patrick Harris one was especially bad.
2017 Fantasmic? Yikes. Lacks any of the heart and emotional resonance the original had.
Disneyland Forever? Enjoyable- but once again, a clip show of the same songs every other Disney show has.
Pixar Play Parade? Yeesh
Paint The Night? I loved it when it came out, but I've become disillusioned with it over the years- it doesn't have the same spark for me now that it did in 2015.

And don't get me started on the Haunted Mansion Holiday.
I was a big fan of Steve Davison for a long time, but in 2013 my interest started to wain when I realized every show/parade he's been doing is, in essence, the exact same thing. Every show he's made since 2010 has been an offshoot of World of Color. Every parade he's headed has recycled the same movies, concepts and even musical arrangements, over and over (and certain shows, like Mickey's Mix Magic, have the issue of recycling the same songs as well).

I feel like he's lost his touch, and I say that as someone who really used to love his work. It's honestly sad to me.

TrainsOfDisney

I usually really like Davison shows. Holiday Wishes and World of Color Season of Light are the best nighttime shows Disney has put out in my opinion.

I agree Disneyland Forever and 60th WOC were not his best work. Forever was solid enough but WOC was very weak.

But this.... this seems to be a low bar for him (and Disney parks as a whole.). A Mickey 90th Celebration and all we get is dance music remixed Disney songs? To think of the possibilities of a projection / fireworks show featuring Mickey and friends through 90 years and we get this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom