Disney buys 1000 acres of land

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's being reported that they bought an additional 1,500+ acres

Indeed more land next to the last site that's not zoned for any building at all, making it a likely scenario that this is future preservation offsets for developing conservation plots within WDW.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/...ceola-land-for-11-million-20190108-story.html

1547046430071.png

LukeS7

Yes, this is being reported on Growth Spotter which is behind a paywall. It is near other land Disney has bought for purpose of conservation offsets.
What are the conservation requirements that they have to follow? (It's x percentage of all the land they own, correct?)

seascape

That is $34 million on 2500 acres. I know it's near conservation land but this is getting interesting. It is also by the Sunrail line. I hope it's for conservation but it could be used for many different things. Ideally conservation with a boutique resort for those who would like to explore the wildlife.

There are so many possible uses of this land including a new development like Celebration, I hope not. Going completely crazy how about buying Seaworld and build giant pools for the Orcas here and use Seaworld as the 5th gate? They could also buy Feld Entertainment and move the Elephant Sanctuary here as part of the conversation area and boutique resort. Many people would be interested in visiting such an area and PETA would have to like this idea. For those who dont know, Feld Entertainment runs the touring Disney shows.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That is $34 million on 2500 acres. I know it's near conservation land but this is getting interesting. It is also by the Sunrail line. I hope it's for conservation but it could be used for many different things. Ideally conservation with a boutique resort for those who would like to explore the wildlife.

There are so many possible uses of this land including a new development like Celebration, I hope not. Going completely crazy how about buying Seaworld and build giant pools for the Orcas here and use Seaworld as the 5th gate? They could also buy Feld Entertainment and move the Elephant Sanctuary here as part of the conversation area and boutique resort. Many people would be interested in visiting such an area and PETA would have to like this idea. For those who dont know, Feld Entertainment runs the touring Disney shows.

We will may know pretty soon. If they bought it for conservation then they will file a South Florida Water Management permit for it like they did with the 3000 acres they bought a couple years ago. Until I hear otherwise I am going to assume these purchases are for conservation not development.

LukeS7

The number that has always been tossed around is 1/3 of the land would be saved for conservation, but in reality it is more complicated that that since the offsets for wetland use are not 1 for 1.
Even if it's not exactly one-to-one, working off the 1/3 ratio, that'd open up another 800 acres (with both of the recent purchases combined) for development somewhere on property. Not expecting anything any time soon, but that is quite a significant amount, considering their largest park is 580 acres.

seascape

We will may know pretty soon. If they bought it for conservation then they will file a South Florida Water Management permit for it like they did with the 3000 acres they bought a couple years ago. Until I hear otherwise I am going to assume these purchases are for conservation not development.
I had forgotten about that land. Its now 5500 acres in this decade. Even adding just 1/3 of that as land they can now build on at WDW would be 1833 acres of new development. And all they have used now is a small amount at HS. They will have to say something soon because $23 million is a lot of stockholders money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom