Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

sedati

I certainly don't miss the obsession with dancing/choreographed stage performances for everything... that form of entertainment never appealed to me at all.
Me neither, but my mother LOVED the shows like this that they used to have at the now defunct Tomorrowland Stage.

BrianLo

There was zero reason for them to remove Figment's signature. Just shows that Chappie wants to purge WDW of its past altogether. Whoever decided to remove it is a moron.

Actually, one of the mans redeeming qualities is that he actually likes the ‘marketable/franchisable’ originals. Aka he likes things like Figment, Small world, Haunted Mansion and S.E.A. Things that are merchandisable. Figment being about the only part of Original Epcot that falls into that purview though.

The decree that studio output is superior to park output is higher up than him and I would imagine the scrubbing of the sidewalk came from much lower.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I find most Disney fans don't even like most Disney movies.

That's because most Disney movies (the live action ones from Disney Studios) are mostly garbage.

There have been about 125 theatrical releases in the U.S. (not counting nature and documentaries). The overwhelming majority have received middling to poor reviews from critics and audience. Sure, there's been about two dozen really good ones... in over 50 years and 125 movies. That's a horrible record. Additionally, the majority lost money in their theatrical window.

Now, the quality of the garbage has gone up recently, but those big budget flops, while great on the eyes, grate on the brain and on Disney's bottom line.

Compared to Pixar, Marvel, LucasFilm, and Disney Animation; Disney Studios is a business failure. Don't know how Disney, the corporation, tries to squeeze a few extra dollars from the parks which is making them billions, but lets the Studio slide that can't turn a profit in its theatrical window.

The average critic's rating for all Studio films is 55 and the audience rating is 64 (out of 100).

Compare that to Pixar (79 & 75), Marvel (70 & 77), Star Wars (72 & 74), and Disney Animation (70 & 71).

Animaniac93-98

That's because most Disney movies (the live action ones from Disney Studios) are mostly garbage.

That's how most fans feel about the animated catalog too. Outside of 10 or so favorites, most are written off, especially those released prior to The Little Mermaid.

Even the "good" live action movies like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea or Old Yeller are called boring because most fans have a very narrow view of what makes a movie sufficiently Disney.

phillip9698

That's how most fans feel about the animated catalog too. Outside of 10 or so favorites, most are written off, especially those released prior to The Little Mermaid.

Even the "good" live action movies like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea or Old Yeller are called boring because most fans have a very narrow view of what makes a movie sufficiently Disney.

I disagree.

On the animated slate Robin Hood, The Fox and the Hound, Winnie the Pooh, Aristocats, Jungle Book, The Rescuers, and 101 Dalmatians are from the period before Little Mermaid but after Sleeping Beauty and are all pretty popular and good movies.

The problem, and this goes for the live action slate as well, is that Disney doesnt show the movies anymore. Due to having two young kids my tv pretty much stays on either the Nick or Disney channels and if a Disney movie is airing its either Monsters Inc/University, Frozen, Lilo and Stitch, or Cars/2. Its rare that they air any movie outside of that bunch. They snuck in The Princess and the Frog one Friday, Finding Nemo about two months back, and The Good Dinosaur this past week but those are exceptions. Monsters Inc or some variation of Cars is on weekly. So while those earlier Disney movies are quite good and classics in their own rights they never actually try to expose the younger generation to them.

I know we live in the Netflix generation and a few of those movies are available for streaming but there still is something to broadcasting material. I wish i could just randomly turn to their set of channels and find Heavyweights or The Mighty Ducks airing.

jt04

I disagree.

On the animated slate Robin Hood, The Fox and the Hound, Winnie the Pooh, Aristocats, Jungle Book, The Rescuers, and 101 Dalmatians are from the period before Little Mermaid but after Sleeping Beauty and are all pretty popular and good movies.

The problem, and this goes for the live action slate as well, is that Disney doesnt show the movies anymore. Due to having two young kids my tv pretty much stays on either the Nick or Disney channels and if a Disney movie is airing its either Monsters Inc/University, Frozen, Lilo and Stitch, or Cars/2. Its rare that they air any movie outside of that bunch. They snuck in The Princess and the Frog one Friday, Finding Nemo about two months back, and The Good Dinosaur this past week but those are exceptions. Monsters Inc or some variation of Cars is on weekly. So while those earlier Disney movies are quite good and classics in their own rights they never actually try to expose the younger generation to them.

I know we live in the Netflix generation and a few of those movies are available for streaming but there still is something to broadcasting material. I wish i could just randomly turn to their set of channels and find Heavyweights or The Mighty Ducks airing.

It is possible much of the oldies but goodies will only be available on Disney+ later this year. Will be interesting to see what happens to the Disney Channel after that.

WDWTank

I disagree.

And Toy Story :)

WDWTank

It is possible much of the oldies but goodies will only be available on Disney+ later this year. Will be interesting to see what happens to the Disney Channel after that.

It would be cool if Disney+ had every single Disney movie ever made, including controversial ones, lost footage (if it’s found but being kept hidden from the public), old attraction preshows, retired attraction films, every single Disney TV show and special, EVERYTHING...................
:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom