News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As long as this is an addition instead of a replacement, I'm all for it. I'm actually quite excited for Tron, moreso than Galaxy's Edge. However, if they decide to destroy Space Mountain instead of fix it after Tron opens, I will be extremely upset.

Martin, is there anything you are able to say at the moment about the future of Space Mountain in the 2020s and beyond?
I’ve heard absolutely nothing. For better or for worse.

PizzaPlanet

Horizons said the same thing...
(I agree with your statement, however)
Horizons is not even close to being as iconic. Space Mountain is frequently referenced in movies and TV shows as the rollercoaster at Disney World. Even those who have never been know what Space Mountain is. It's a staple that people have come to expect from a WDW vacation, just as they expect to meet princesses and eat Mickey Mouse ice cream bars. TWDC would be out of their minds to remove it.

mergatroid

Horizons is not even close to being as iconic. Space Mountain is frequently referenced in movies and TV shows as the rollercoaster at Disney World. Even those who have never been know what Space Mountain is. It's a staple that people have come to expect from a WDW vacation, just as they expect to meet princesses and eat Mickey Mouse ice cream bars. TWDC would be out of their minds to remove it.

I'm speculating they're removing the castle next year, not heard any proof that they're not :)

JoeCamel

We used to expect "Disney service" from the company as well but lately the CMs and the parks just don't deliver that. The "experience" is lacking and the uppers don't seem to care about "iconic". I would not be surprised to see Tron rise and SM fall. It is well beyond it's "sell by date".

justintheharris

Nothing is safe with Chapek in charge.

I've thought of this as well, and when you think about it, it's not that far fetched. Let's face it, the track needs to be rebuilt badly. I could see them taking the opportunity to "plus" Space Mountain somehow once Tron is up and running. They could leave it as-is in the other Castle parks because they are not in as rough shape as the one in Magic Kingdom.
The Peoplemover makes redoing the track of Space Mountain very difficult. Redoing Space Mountain’s Track would likely mean a drastic change to the Peoplemover if not its permanent closure.

mergatroid

Yikes. Poor planning on their part to not take care of the track problem years ago. Now we're in a situation, because when it does eventually happen, it's going to be taking a lot of capacity away from Tomorrowland, which won't be good considering the increased traffic due to Tron.

I know most people hated it, but maybe they should have kept Stitch around a little longer. Anything new in the SGE space will just be another draw to Tomorrowland, which would add to the capacity problem should a Space Mountain refurbishment happen.

Well we don't know what's happening yet or whether it would even shut the people mover, or for how long if it did. I went through Space Mountain when they were working on the inside as Martin has just said. I know we're just discussing possible things and everything is good with that, but it does feel rather a glass half empty discussion right now :)

justintheharris

Nope. It’s possible to remove the track and rebuild it, and not touch the Peoplemover. Remember, that was the plan in 2008.
Oh I knew about the plan but I was under the assumption that the Peoplemover played a large role in why the replacement never happened. If it wasn’t the Peoplemover, why didn’t they retrack Space Mountain?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom