The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

@donaldtoo @Rista1313 @Goofyernmost
Can I play the graduation game too? I started kindergarten at 5 but was enrolled in a “progressive” school and the following year was placed in the 2nd grade equivalent class (traumatizing for a little girl who did not understand why she was suddenly in a class with her best friend who was a year older and had started school a year before me.)

My family moved to a different state a year later, one with “traditional” grades. Though I tested into 4th grade, they enrolled me in 3rd so I would not be the youngest by 2 years....which was a good thing in the long run as I still graduated high school at 17, with 8.5 months to go until my 18th birthday.

Driving age was 17 so I couldn’t drive until my final semester.

Yea, I didn't care about any a' that other stuff, but, I still bear the emotional scars of never being able to buy booze (legally :cautious:;)) during all of HS... :cyclops: And, I blame my parents for that...they didn't hafta' listen to that crazy kindergarten teacher...!!!!! o_O:grumpy::bored::hilarious:;)

As far as driving goes here in Texas, I had my learners permit at 15, and as long as someone 18 or older was in the front passenger seat I could drive to my hearts content.
Got my regular license on my 16th b-day, but, took me a few months to get a car. In the meantime, I drove my folks '70 Chevy Camper Special with a full cabover camper on it...but, fortunately, I was able to borrow my folks Buick LeSabre for dating...can you just imagine a guy pulling up in a full “Camper Special” to take your daughter out...!!!!!!! :joyfull::hilarious::jawdrop::eek::hilarious:;)

Last edited:

Songbird76

Haha! My 2 younger kids have had an obsession with the song “I’m Getting Married in the Morning”, from My Fair Lady. I actually ordered it from Walmart and it arrived today. They watched it after school. They were pretty much glued to the tv up until the 2 hour mark. Then they were getting a bit antsy. I forgot what a long movie it was. :hilarious:
I played Eliza Doolittle in our high school production of it when I was a senior. I have great memories of that. The kid who was supposed to play my father dropped out a few weeks out and the local sheriff, who was the father of the guy playing Professor Higgins, stepped in to play the role, and there's a scene where he comes to Professor Higgins' house and he slaps Eliza on the butt. So the sheriff says "I can't do that!!!!" and the kid who played Colonel Pickering says "Sure ya can! See? like this!" and he smacked me so hard I was crying, but I was laughing, too. (You had to know the kid...he really didn't mean anything by it...he was a jokester and we got along really well.)
And then when we performed it, the scene where we were at the race track, I had to shout "Come on, Dover! Move your bloomin' !!!" and I was known for being quite a prude..and right after that line, there was a scene change AND I had to change my costume FAST....I had several of those. So I shouted the line, and ran out the door to go change and on my way out the door, I heard the guy I had a crush on ask in shock "Did SUSAN just say a bad word????" It was always so funny to see reactions when I did something people didn't expect.

21stamps

What kind of annoys me about this reunion thing is that all who are invited are in one of the following groups:

1. The band
2. The popular kids
3. The smart kids (me)

If you weren't in those groups, forget you! Less than half of the class is invited in spite of many of them being on Facebook (some of my mutual friends have not been invited even though they went there). That's just...sad.

So only the ‘not smart’ kids weren’t invited? How odd.

I would email the organizer, that’s ridiculous. It’s a reunion, not a specific group get together.

Songbird76

The kindergarten thing started to be an official thing in the 80's due to the fact that day-cares were doing lessons, basically for something to keep the kids amused. Also games started to subliminally teach kids things that people my age weren't exposed to (not to mention Sesame Street and Electric Company). So kindergarten became a thing that allowed kids a way to keep up with things in first grade which were beyond what kids like myself ever saw until we went to 1st grade we all started at the same lever. Kindergarten now, is actually 1st grade and now instead of 12 years and out of high school, it's 12.5 years, yet they still don't learn any of the basics of life. Remember I am basing my discussion on my age of 70... I don't think you have reached that joyous number. There were active half day kindergartens when my girls were young. But, at that time there were no preschools.
Well, I know it was required at least by 1980 in Wyoming, because both my brother and I had to go to kindergarten. And you couldn't do first grade until you had done kindergarten. My mom kept my brother home for an extra year because she didn't feel like he was ready for it, so he was 6 before he went to kindergarten. He couldn't just start in 1st grade.

Songbird76

That's sad. The reason I loved kindergarten was that there were plenty of toys to play with. I also loved finger painting! The kids had fun. I think at the end of the school year I could read a few words, and I could print my name.

Somehow, I survived . . . :rolleyes:;)
It definitely differed between schools. My parents separated when I was 5 and got divorced when I was 6. We moved from the ranch into town when they separated and then we finished the semester in town right before Christmas. Part of the divorce agreement was that we would move back to the ranch for a few months for my parents to try reconciling, so we started the 2nd half of the school year at the rural school there. In town, we did things like making donuts to learn the letter D, and collecting leaves to make pencil shaving images for letter L, etc. Mostly, we played...I remember there was a bossy girl named Emily who always played with the kitchen and always told me I couldn't play with it, and I never did get a turn. And I had a friend named Jennifer who told me a joke: What is black and white and black and white and green? 2 Skunks fighting over a pickle.

When I went to the rural school, the kids were already learning to read and write, so I was way behind. I felt really stupid because my first day, the teacher put the word "Run" on the board and I couldn't read it when she called on me. There were only 6 kids in kindergarten, and I'm sure she was trying to see what I already knew, but I couldn't read it and all the other kids could and I was really embarrassed. And I remember having to stay inside during recess once to rewrite my Ws because my first attempt wasn't legible. We had never done any writing at all in town. So the rural school taught reading and writing in kindergarten where the one in town was mostly playing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom