The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

Yes, but, other countries like Japan, Germany and China are ahead of us and make our system seem like 2 + 2 = 4! I know that what they do know is far more complex then what we were taught, but, I wonder how much of that translates into common sense and standard life knowledge.
I am sure @Songbird76 can tell us the difference between a European and an American basic education. I for one have no idea. Here is an article about what schools are like in Japan. Very interesting.
https://web-japan.org/kidsweb/explore/schools/

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I had some good memories from Kindergarten. I remembered the teacher had the students making Christmas Wreaths out of Green Tissue paper with the wreath being attached to a Christmas tree made out of clay. Too bad The Christmas tree broke due to age years ago. My parents still have the Christmas Wreath and has something else attached to it.

I also recalled in kindergarten making a Cook book as a Mother's Day gift. There even was a Halloween party that had games such as musical chairs.

Yes, happy memories! That's what kindergarten should be for all little kids.

FutureCEO

The kindergarten thing started to be an official thing in the 80's due to the fact that day-cares were doing lessons, basically for something to keep the kids amused. Also games started to subliminally teach kids things that people my age weren't exposed to (not to mention Sesame Street and Electric Company). So kindergarten became a thing that allowed kids a way to keep up with things in first grade which were beyond what kids like myself ever saw until we went to 1st grade we all started at the same lever. Kindergarten now, is actually 1st grade and now instead of 12 years and out of high school, it's 12.5 years, yet they still don't learn any of the basics of life. Remember I am basing my discussion on my age of 70... I don't think you have reached that joyous number. There were active half day kindergartens when my girls were young. But, at that time there were no preschools.

I went to pre-school at the Y in the late 80's. Part of the last generation to remember what it was like to play outside and be without internet.

StarWarsGirl

Haha! My 2 younger kids have had an obsession with the song “I’m Getting Married in the Morning”, from My Fair Lady. I actually ordered it from Walmart and it arrived today. They watched it after school. They were pretty much glued to the tv up until the 2 hour mark. Then they were getting a bit antsy. I forgot what a long movie it was. :hilarious:
I really, really hate that movie.

But I love "I Could Have Danced all Night" and "Wouldn't It be Loverly?" But preferably the Julie Andrews versions.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Keep in mind the volume of packages in December--not to mention all the "holiday employees" they hire, who are not the regular drivers/delivery people. I know in some areas they hire a slew of part-timers just to put the packages on porches, while the regular driver handles driving the route, itself.

I ordered a lot of stuff last night. 1st item stated delivery tomorrow. It didn't come. Looked up my order of 16 items, the item that should have come today says tomorrow AGAIN lol.

Not as humorous the items scheduled for Thursday now says must be home to sign for. Ugh.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I knew kids that went to Catholic school in the 70’s, and they mentioned getting hit with a ruler. I also learned to read with phonics in 1975. I remember Sesame Street back then used phonics when they taught some words.

Our Nuns preferred pointer sticks. Thee old Wooden Rod to the skull. Rulers wouldn't leave a bump on your head. Made for nicer lumps on your skull. :in pain:

donaldtoo

Kindergarten I believe is not mandatory in New Jersey or Pennsylvania, or it wasn't 10 years ago at least. A kid does not need to be enrolled in public school until they are 6 in PA. If they are homeschooled, they don't need the yearly evaluation until they reach 8 years old. Maybe now it is different in the public schools with kindergarten since they require most kindergartners to be able to read when they finish the year. One of my other friends in NY is a public school Kindergarten teacher. She said when no child left behind started, they got rid of all the play kitchens and other toys from her class. She said Kindergarten became more like first grade at that point.

I went to kindergarten...for 2 weeks.
We moved to No Cal from Alabama in ‘68 towards the end of the school year. I made the age cutoff limit (on the younger end) by a few days, so my folks decided to enroll me to sort of get used to it for those 2 weeks, then they would just have me do the whole kindergarten year the next school year and that way I would get the whole experience and would be with kiddos more my age.
When school got out after those 2 weeks the teacher told my folks that she thought I was plenty ready to just go ahead and move on to 1st grade the next year, so off I went...
As a result, I went through the entire rest of my schooling considerably younger than most of my classmates, and a year-ish younger than more than a few.
I didn’t even turn 18 until almost 5 months to the day after I graduated from HS...the drinking age was 18 here back then, so almost all of my classmates were old enough to buy booze for a good chunk of our senior year...!!!!! :hilarious:

I do remember a bit about kindergarten and enjoying it, but, not a whole lot... :cyclops:
I definitely remember more about first grade. Even though I can’t remember my teachers name, I can picture her like it was yesterday...and she also played the autoharp and sang to us. I remember 1st grade being pretty darn fun...!!! :)

ETA...
And, for anyone unfamiliar with an autoharp... :)

81962B64-DDDA-4AEB-8D53-44FEFF146D6C.jpeg

Last edited:

Cesar R M

There's so much rapid fire, new technology, etc. Boggles the mind. It's like every day there's another new learning curve for one thing or another. Problem is, I think that some people focus too much on the shinier new objects, and completely forget about the basics. If we gave more time to teaching kids the basics, FIRST, we'd far better off.
Actually, most of the devices right now have the same basics that were refined and expanded.
Once you know the basics.. advancing to the new generation of features should be pretty straightforward.
Its like driving. You get used to the stick until you have automatic and then other things like "cruise mode", auto brake and avoidance systems.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom