Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpAllNight

Old Fantasyland needs to go. It looked dated 20 years ago and the ‘new’ area only heightens that. In fact, Fantasyland looks in bad shape compared to most of the others in the world. As the flagship area in the flagship resort, it not a good reflection on Disney. It so desperately needs more dark rides too... The Disneyland ride count in Fantasyland puts MK to shame.

jrhwdw

Old Fantasyland needs to go. It looked dated 20 years ago and the ‘new’ area only heightens that. In fact, Fantasyland looks in bad shape compared to most of the others in the world. As the flagship area in the flagship resort, it not a good reflection on Disney. It so desperately needs more dark rides too... The Disneyland ride count in Fantasyland puts MK to shame.
Can't MK do some quick referbs before Epcot Forever/SW GE comes? A new MISI won't bring the masses to MK.

UpAllNight

Can't MK do some quick referbs before Epcot Forever/SW GE comes? A new MISI won't bring the masses to MK.

I don’t think quick refurbs are going to cut it for the 50th.

Take Pan as an example...it needs gutting. Replaced. Every AA / model needs to go. New effects installed. I think it needs a new facade but they may want to avoid that not only because of cost, but because that corridor is a nightmare and could do without people stopping to take pics.

Phillarmagic needs a deep clean, replacement of some of the seating, updated movie.

Small World needs a full repaint and deep clean. Again the facade is underwealming compared to the likes of Paris and Disneyland. Obviously we’re working with different space, but they need to make it feel more like an event like the others manage.

The teacups needs a proper roof.

The whole land just needs some serious tlc (and more rides)

Disone

True. That is what Tron is for. Plus MK really does not need Tron, with over 20 million annual visits a year, it already has the masses coming. What Walt Disney World needs is a reason for those masses to visit the other Parks. Spread the crowds out a little bit.

jrhwdw

Take Pan as an example...it needs gutting. Replaced. Every AA / model needs to go. New effects installed. I think it needs a new facade but they may want to avoid that not only because of cost, but because that corridor is a nightmare and could do without people stopping to take pics.

Phillarmagic needs a deep clean, replacement of some of the seating, updated movie.

Small World needs a full repaint and deep clean. Again the facade is underwealming compared to the likes of Paris and Disneyland. Obviously we’re working with different space, but they need to make it feel more like an event like the others manage.

Anyone remember why MK didn't go for the full Small World exterior like DL? Lack of room?

UpAllNight

True. That is what Tron is for. Plus MK really does not need Tron, with over 20 million annual visits a year, it already has the masses coming. What Walt Disney World needs is a reason for those masses to visit the other Parks. Spread the crowds out a little bit.

People are going to visit MK no matter what the other parks are offering. Tron is needed, but I also feel it’s only the start of what’s required.

Cosmetic updates are needed in Tomorrowland, along with improvements to the speedway, CoP, Stitch, Space and Milf. Adventureland needs more...adventure (something like Indy, or a pirates ride that didn’t feel distinctly 2nd rate). Don’t get me wrong I love Magic Kingdom but I feel like it deserves some serious love and affection as the most visited park in the world. There’s parts of it which fall so short of what even Disney are offering in their other Magic Kingdom style parks.

jrhwdw

Hopefully SW GE will help with that. Pandora should be helping already. We'll see if Epcot Forever/Full Replacement/Remy makes a difference.

MickeyMinnieMom

People are going to visit MK no matter what the other parks are offering. Tron is needed, but I also feel it’s only the start of what’s required.

Cosmetic updates are needed in Tomorrowland, along with improvements to the speedway, CoP, Stitch, Space and Milf. Adventureland needs more...adventure (something like Indy, or a pirates ride that didn’t feel distinctly 2nd rate). Don’t get me wrong I love Magic Kingdom but I feel like it deserves some serious love and affection as the most visited park in the world. There’s parts of it which fall so short of what even Disney are offering in their other Magic Kingdom style parks.
Except for your mention of Fantasyland needing more rides, everything you list is cosmetic and wouldn't either independently attract new visitors or help to absorb crowds coming for SWGE. I'm not clear on why Disney should prioritize them for the 50th. Most are things the average guest wouldn't even notice.

UpAllNight

Except for your mention of Fantasyland needing more rides, everything you list is cosmetic and wouldn't either independently attract new visitors or help to absorb crowds coming for SWGE. I'm not clear on why Disney should prioritize them for the 50th. Most are things the average guest wouldn't even notice.

Something in Stitch along with something major in Adventureland would be additions. But this was largely about taking rides offline for the cosmetic updates...there’s a lot of them that are needed is where I was going with it.

MickeyMinnieMom

Something in Stitch along with something major in Adventureland would be additions. But this was largely about taking rides offline for the cosmetic updates...there’s a lot of them that are needed is where I was going with it.
But none of that (nothing NEW) could possibly be ready in time for the 50th even if they started tout suite, right...

ETA: and I'd say "needed" in time for the 50th is subjective. Like I said, not sure how may would even notice. Nothing you mention is in such disrepair that it's falling apart or in desperate need of the major overhauls you mentioned right now.

UpAllNight

But none of that (nothing NEW) could possibly be ready in time for the 50th even if they started tout suite, right...

It shouldn’t take any company 3 years to build a new ride, unless it’s something ridiculous like Pandora or Star Wars. You’re just too used to Disney working on Disney time.

We’re literally talking 2.5-3 years to build a building and put something in it. Parks all across the globe manage to build 200 ft rollercoasters within 10 months & whilst I understand there’s more design and research that goes into a Disney Park, if they wanted it done faster, it absolutely could be.

However, this is a side point to my general thoughts on MK. My main point was that there’s a lot of current rides that need some love (updates...cosmetically) but just that it would all be easier to do if there was more capacity across every park. The argument that MK has enough is one I don’t agree with....if they take Space Mountain down a year, the park feels it massively. That shows they need more.

Last edited:

MickeyMinnieMom

It shouldn’t take any company 3 years to build a new ride, unless it’s something ridiculous like Pandora or Star Wars. You’re just too used to Disney working on Disney time.

We’re literally talking 2.5-3 years to build a building and put something in it. Parks all across the globe manage to build 200 ft rollercoasters within 10 months & whilst I understand there’s more design and research that goes into a Disney Park, if they wanted it done faster, it absolutely could be.
Ah... well, we don't live in the alternate reality where Disney will build something -- yet to even be announced -- in a couple of years... at least I don't think we do... ;)

As an aside... when is "the 50th" technically set to start? It's in 2021... so are they going with Jan 2021 (start of the year... isn't this what they've done in the past?), or Oct 2021?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Anyone remember why MK didn't go for the full Small World exterior like DL? Lack of room?
There’s plenty of room. They just stuck a roof over the front for the perceived Floridian climate.

Oddly if they just removed the roof and added canopies to the catwalks and load area (like Paris) it would do so much for the greater land.

07AC967F-CBBF-40F2-984B-4DACAC115B9D.jpeg

TTA94

There’s plenty of room. They just stuck a roof over the front for the perceived Floridian climate.

Oddly if they just removed the roof and added canopies to the catwalks and load area (like Paris) it would do so much for the greater land.

View attachment 330316

Odds of that ever happening? Lol. I’d love the Christmas version at WDW. Even with the current layout.

TTA94

I hope in some way MK gets the Main Street projections. Surprised it hasn’t happened yet, but like a nighttime parade it’s probably on hold for the 50th. Hopefully moat fountains to for HEAs update. Fingers crossed.

Chris82

View attachment 330316

Oh man... the thought of getting rid of that chokepoint between Peter Pan and it's a small world... how wonderful would that be? Is there any chance that could actually happen? Hard to tell from satellite photos, but I wonder if they reconfigured Pinocchio Village Haus a bit, they could maybe reroute the queue around the side rather than to the front. Disney has shown willingness in the past to spend money to fix congestion/routing issues, but I don't know. This might be a bridge too far so to speak... heh.

MickeyMinnieMom

View attachment 330316
Don’t we get a bit more protection from the heat this way, though, or not? Paris certainly doesn’t need that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom