News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Kman101

Gotta save stuff for d23

True. Didn't make a ton of sense to announce it today when you think about it (before the new movie would be weird timing I feel, and not just because they may be taking a 'wait and see'), but who knows?

Things they announced today make sense almost in a 'throwaway' sense. Still somewhat "big" in a way but also easy announcements, concept art, ride names, opening timeframes. Stuff they don't need to waste time at D23 announcing

jaxonp

I'm confused by the Disney wait and see weather its a real thing or not... Some attractions just make sense. RAT and Cars wouldn't be an attraction if it was based on box office results. If box office results were the only variable in future attractions then we'd have Incredibles thrown down our throat this year. If it's a good attraction and it fits the area then I wanna see it! I hope they find a way to get Mary to the UK!

Kman101

I'm confused by the Disney wait and see weather its a real thing or not... Some attractions just make sense. RAT and Cars wouldn't be an attraction if it was based on box office results. If box office results were the only variable in future attractions then we'd have Incredibles thrown down our throat this year. If it's a good attraction and it fits the area then I wanna see it! I hope they find a way to get Mary to the UK!

I think merch sales play a big role. ROI and all that. Does Mary sell merch? (Genuinely asking). I feel like that's one of the major reasons they were reluctant with Coco (and also I think they realized for a significant overlay they'd have to do a lot more work they want to and right now it doesn't really make sense - although in an IP everywhere kind of way it actually makes total sense -- I really hope they revisit Coco but that seems unlikely)

Kman101

If this happens (and I don't think it will) it will be a flat ride.
I'm not trying to kill excitement but to reign in your expectations.
IF this happens, enjoy waiting 45 minutes to ride a carousel.

We've all basically been expecting that, to be honest. LOL. It's sad. I hope it doesn't now unless they do it as a dark ride and actually do it justice.

A carousel is going to be panned as an announcement, IMO.

So we go from a potential Coco overlay in Mexico and a dark ride for Poppins in the UK to ... no overlay for Coco and a carousel for Poppins ... yep, nothing's changed in how they operate :( and I'm sure those saved funds are going to a new project ;)

Kman101

Why would Disney build a dark ride when they know the press (which they control) and the Mommy Bloggers (who they pay park admission for) will give the same praise if they build a Carousel?
What motivation does Disney have to be ambitious anymore when they'll get the same praise/returns for building something cheap/easy?

Exactly all of this. They have no motivation. They did for a brief minute but then they went back to how they often do things. Cut, cut and act indecisive. Silly me last year for getting hopeful for even a minute. I knew better too. But I tried.

Bocabear

Why would Disney build a dark ride when they know the press (which they control) and the Mommy Bloggers (who they pay park admission for) will give the same praise if they build a Carousel?
What motivation does Disney have to be ambitious anymore when they'll get the same praise/returns for building something cheap/easy?
That's the sad thing... I will praise Disney when they do something wonderful...I really do, but they have not given me much to be excited about lately. Defurbishments of what was once unique.. the Marriott-ification of all the hotel amenities and the lackluster plans moving forward...all the while ever increasing prices... Not a good trend...

Kman101

That's the sad thing... I will praise Disney when they do something wonderful...I really do, but they have not given me much to be excited about lately. Defurbishments of what was once unique.. the Marriott-ification of all the hotel amenities and the lackluster plans moving forward...all the while ever increasing prices... Not a good trend...

Shh. Logic. We're all just negative nancys who hate everything ;)

It's a really bad trend they are on. But if "the masses" love it, what do we know? :rolleyes:

Kman101

Hold on. We don't know that it's a flat ride. The only person who has said this is the site that can't be named. Insiders here have hinted that either a flat ride or a dark ride are on the table, and that even the flat ride proposal was "charming".

I'll wait and see before passing judgement. Assuming this does indeed come to pass.

@marni1971 ? Sorry to bug ya ... but isn't 'flat ride' the direction they're headed in? But to be fair Mike, it's been hard to keep up with this thread because it's gone back and forth from dark ride to carousel to people making tons of assumptions.

I feel like this won't come to pass either, for whatever reason. It seems, like Coco, they never felt confident on either. Just my assumption based on things said over time by our insiders.

Kman101

No problem, same here. I always appreciate your point of view, you seem like a pretty reasonable guy. Sorry if my post came across the wrong way!

You too! I think sometimes we just misread things or take it a different way. No biggie :) I try to be reasonable and logical ... LOL ... but I also get passionate and I'm just so frustrated sometimes with how they run things. I know "monday morning quarterbacking" and all that but still ... lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom