The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

21stamps

So is it now up to the parent if he stays on the team?

Yes. It’s so frustrating that all of this could have been avoided!! Without hurting families. Especially that family, no one could have anticipated this when it comes to him.

I know the two families of the Elite boys who are being moved down to our team. Here’s how that was handled-

They were pulled aside, separately, over a month ago now.. and basically told “You see that your son isn’t getting much playing time. This team may not be the best fit for him. If he moves down then he will get more playing time, more confidence, and can try to make this team again next season.”

That’s the correct way to move a player mid year!!! Let the parents be in on the decision, show them why it’s the right thing.. MOST already realize it if their kid is sitting on the bench most of the match.

It’s basically the same thing the coach told me about T after the wait-list thing.. the only difference is T didn’t move down, he just didn’t get an offer for Elite, I was told that he just needs to keep gaining confidence and consistency, and that he has plenty of time before 11U. (I wouldn’t let him play elite anyway, but that’s a different story).

The kid I keep talking about was also waitlisted with T last year.. deciding between Elite and Premier.. so how does that happen, and then the same kid told to move down below Premier??? That’s what doesn’t make sense to me. At all!

Last edited:

Songbird76

So, here’s my thoughts on it-

First of all, I do think 3 of the boys should be moved down. They have not developed over the season, and they are not the holding their own on the team, their mistakes and inability to grasp the game (at this point in time) must be obvious to their parents, as it is to the players, spectators, and coaches. They show individual skills, they had a good tryout last June, but when you don’t improve over a season, then it’s time to move and hopefully improve your skills and move back up.
I would have been in full agreement if those families were spoken to individually, towards the end of the season, and a move down recommended. That’s part of competitive sports and I’m OK with that.
What I don’t agree with is how this was handled.

As for the other boy; the one who’s Mom I’ve been talking to, I do NOT think he is one of the weakest players, and I don’t understand the decision to move him. Obviously I’m not the coach, but this specific kid was a blindside even to me as an observer. I think he should stay on the team.

It’s the family’s decision now, I hope they choose to stay, but I do hope the other families don’t make the same decision. Again, I would be angry at how it was handled, but I think they know that their son’s shouldn’t really be there.

I hope this doesn’t sound mean, I’m not trying to put that vibe at all. I’m angry at the club because if we end up with p-d off parents who refuse to move, then our team is going to be too big, and all players will be affected. All of this could have been easily avoided!!!
No, it doesn't sound mean, and I totally get where you're coming from. It IS competetive at the club level, and you have to be prepared for that when you sign up....I get that. BUT, even if the boys aren't improving, they were guaranteed a spot for the whole year. That's the COACHS' mistake and the boys shouldn't be punished for the error in judgement of the coaches. The proper thing to do is keep the promise and then choose more wisely at the next tryout. If the parents want to move their kids down, that's their decision, but it absolutely should not come from the club. I feel bad for the boys....it changes the whole dynamic of the team, both for the boys who are asked to move down and the ones who were allowed to keep their spot.
I wonder how the boys themselves feel about it, excluding the one with whom you communicate with the mom. It can't have escaped their notice that they aren't the best players on the team....if you aren't scoring goals, and you aren't able to do the things the other boys do, it's hard to miss, I would think. I personally wouldn't want to be on the team knowing I was holding everyone back and I was the worst player, with everyone wishing I wasn't on their team. Kind of like being picked last for gym class. You know no one wants to be stuck with you and you'd rather just not play. But obviously these kids must have SOME skills or they wouldn't have made the team in the first place. It's a hard position to be in....knowing you aren't wanted (at least by the coaches) but wanting to fit in and be part of it. You know you can stay on the team because they promised, but you also know they don't want you there.

21stamps

No, it doesn't sound mean, and I totally get where you're coming from. It IS competetive at the club level, and you have to be prepared for that when you sign up....I get that. BUT, even if the boys aren't improving, they were guaranteed a spot for the whole year. That's the COACHS' mistake and the boys shouldn't be punished for the error in judgement of the coaches. The proper thing to do is keep the promise and then choose more wisely at the next tryout. If the parents want to move their kids down, that's their decision, but it absolutely should not come from the club. I feel bad for the boys....it changes the whole dynamic of the team, both for the boys who are asked to move down and the ones who were allowed to keep their spot.
I wonder how the boys themselves feel about it, excluding the one with whom you communicate with the mom. It can't have escaped their notice that they aren't the best players on the team....if you aren't scoring goals, and you aren't able to do the things the other boys do, it's hard to miss, I would think. I personally wouldn't want to be on the team knowing I was holding everyone back and I was the worst player, with everyone wishing I wasn't on their team. Kind of like being picked last for gym class. You know no one wants to be stuck with you and you'd rather just not play. But obviously these kids must have SOME skills or they wouldn't have made the team in the first place. It's a hard position to be in....knowing you aren't wanted (at least by the coaches) but wanting to fit in and be part of it. You know you can stay on the team because they promised, but you also know they don't want you there.

The kids do have skills, there’s 4 levels of select at this age. Rosters consist of 10 kids only.. that’s a very small roster when you’re dealing in a metropolitan area. We have players from Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana (we all touch borders in this area).. once you get to 11U the rosters get bigger because it moves to 9v9... then at 13U bigger again because it goes to 11v11.

Last year we were 5v5 with a roster of 8.
We’re at 7v7 now.. which is still very small and means a lot of individual ball time and passing... the players have to make such quick decisions, which really shows a spotlight on the weak and strong players.. there’s no where to hide a weaker player, if that makes sense.

So no matter what level.. these kids are still good enough to make a select team. It’s just the Premier and Elite levels are what most people strive for.. every player probably. Once you get to 13U, it’s really only 2 levels, sometimes 3, but rarely 4.

By that point (age 10-12) most people know if they’re going to stick with it or not, and if they have the required skills/improvement. Some may even be burnt out before that time.

If I were the bottom 3 boys, and their families, I would move down, I would explain why.. and use it as a motivator even though it hurts after initially making a team.. because really, the kids aren’t benefiting if they’re not playing enough. The biggest issue is how it was handled..without a discussion.. that’s where the by-laws come into play.

If I was the mom I’ve been talking to, I would go against the recommendation, and stay on the team.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Wow....that's some great customer service!! Is there somewhere online where you can give feedback/write a review? Adam deserves some recognition!
I wrote back to him in the same conversation thread that we did all our business with. I asked him forward it to he boss and above. He wrote back thanking me and told me that he would forward it. I'm hoping not to have to have anymore conversations with him due to problems. I noticed that it did automatically scan this noon time. This time 0 problems.

MySmallWorldof4

The good news is everybody is home safe and sound. The bad news is it's bleeping.
Snowing here still. Must be 5 inches. My younger 2 just went out to play in it. It took dh 2 hours to get home. Normally it is 45 minutes. I told him to take a nap and not to worry about using the snow blower yet. The plows haven't even come through yet. Oh, when he got home he took a new entrance into our development that avoids a small steep hill that is the main road into it. Good thing he did. He said that 3 cars were stuck on the hill.

93boomer

Premium Member
Snowing here still. Must be 5 inches. My younger 2 just went out to play in it. It took dh 2 hours to get home. Normally it is 45 minutes. I told him to take a nap and not to worry about using the snow blower yet. The plows haven't even come through yet. Oh, when he got home he took a new entrance into our development that avoids a small steep hill that is the main road into it. Good thing he did. He said that 3 cars were stuck on the hill.
Wow that is a lot of snow so far!! Any sleet ?

21stamps

Whatever that other kid decides, I invited him to guest play on my indoor team next month.. when another kid will be on vacay.

I think the past few days have made me even more aware of how quickly these boys are growing up, and I hope I do a good job with my team this season. Our first game is Sunday.

Rista1313

My unpopular opinion is too much emphasis on sports with kids at a young age is not a good idea. I guess I'm just old school.. I just want kids to be able to be kids without having so much stress and pressure of try outs, and making the team. My co-worker and I disagree on this.. she was just talking today about her daughter and the freshman volleyball team and how they are playing over the Holidays.. and that if they go away on vacation with family, their play time gets cut... it's all just TOO MUCH. (at least for me it is!)

says the woman who has no kids...

21stamps

Not yet. It was supposed to have changed to freezing rain by now, but it is still snowing. Better snow than freezing rain though.

I just start snowing here... the ice has harmed so much stuff. My FB Page is crazy to look at. My neighbor has multiple trees that have dropped the majority of their braches.
Roads are closed all over the place due to downed trees and downed power lines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom