Rumor Wonders of Life getting an attraction soon?

GordonR

As we see time and time again a atrractions are just abandoned in place behind locked doors. I don’t doubt for a moment that spares recovery went on, but in this case the complete ride systems and all associated support hardware has been removed, plus in the case of the sims the significant floor mounting features.

If you do a timeline of body wars >Star tours refurd > iron man it runs quite nicely.

I’m not going to say that these were definitely completely used, but this very likely to be the case as like the monorails, you just don’t order up 4 Atlas simulators 12-18 months.

GordonR

you know who you're talking to, right?
Yes. However not has been posted to substantiate any claims about these atlas units not being refurbed/reused/scrapped/stored.

I know from my colleagues in the UK that the company that owns the designs for the ATLAS sims did not build any after the Star Tours sets.

My posts are to stimulate discussion on the location / fate of these 4 Body Wars machines.

TwilightZone

If I were able to I would make a post about how trustworthy Marni is. A lot of newer folk underestimate him.

Just so anyone new knows, he got an entire D23 right, I would trust him heavily if I were you and I don't trust most online folk!

GordonR

My friends. One was butchered to test the audio system for ST2. At least two others were stripped for parts. The hydraulics on all were shot.

Not that I presume you believe me.

Thanks. The Iron Man set up is likely a full refurbed system with new electrical-hydro as the late 80 design vintage actuators would be beyond repair and in the sim industry spares are scarce.

4 big ride cabins however could easily have been reused.

Kman101

Many places in Florida have been changing what their starting pay is for entry level jobs. But as of a year or two ago, Disney was one of the higher paying entry level jobs. Especially if you count the bonus of free tickets.

There's definitely places you could go with little to no experience and make more money (not counting benefits like free disney admission and guest passes and discounts), but Disney isn't the slave driver people make them out to be. It can be a very stressful place to work though and that stress isn't for everyone.

I loved it because despite the leaders at my location being stupid and often trying to push us to upsale more than Disney should, there was still plenty of times where my job was simply to make people happy. Playing games with kids and talking to guests while greeting. doing little magic moments like giving Ice Cream cones birthday hats made out of the bottom of broken cones for someone's birthday. Asking people their favorite disney character and then drawing it in whip cream (my Enchanted Rose Sundae for when someone says a Beauty and the Beast character was amazing). Little jokes I can tell at register that make guests chuckle while I also handle their payments and ordering in a quick manner that doesn't feel rush (The fastest rate of customers per hour for my group of CPs as well as the most guest compliments for that position because courtesy and efficiency can be done together if you're good at your job).

PLUS, I made more there than I personally had anywhere else because of how easy picking up more shifts or extending shifts was.

I definitely know people that hated it though. It is stressful and that stress is not for everyone. But I know many people who agree with me that the good far outweighed the bad. I know multiple people who were able to support themselves in an actual apartment while making loan payments and still have enough free time/money to spend at least 40 bucks going drinking at Disney Springs on an almost weekly basis while on the College Program.

Disney is not the right place to work for everyone. But it is not a bad place to work. The pay is fair at 2-3 dollars an hour above FL minimum wage for entry level college programmers with great perks.

Very well said. Thank you for your post on the matter :)

The stress isn't for everyone. A job working with the public on a daily basis can be emotionally exhausting and draining. Especially in Florida heat and cranky visitors. It adds a whole other level that some don't experience in a big box store. It does take some amount of skill to be able to work in customer service.

On a related but separate note, I do think sometimes they think anyone can work anywhere, and that's just not the case. I imagine they cross-train but I've met so many who aren't comfortable in their positions and would be much happier somewhere else, but at the same time, they're making the best of it and still doing an excellent job.

rle4lunch

You know, when you accept to be "conditionally hired", you're agreeing to the wage that they offered. So who's fault is it again that they feel they aren't getting paid a fair wage? Not Disney's.... The "fair" salary argument is so weak... Mickey put that gun to your head and said (in my best mickey mouse voice) "Ha ha, you're working for me now, Pal! Whether you like it or not!"

If enough people felt that they weren't getting paid enough, all of them should quit at the same time to send a message. Does this ever happen though? No. Why? Because people are lazy and would rather complain about a job they voluntarily took rather than look for another job with higher pay. Because complaining always works so well..

geekza

If enough people felt that they weren't getting paid enough, all of them should quit at the same time to send a message. Does this ever happen though? No. Why? Because people are lazy and would rather complain about a job they voluntarily took rather than look for another job with higher pay. Because complaining always works so well..
So, if the only available jobs are low-paying, which most of Disney's are, then they should quit and be homeless or be grateful that they're making a pittance? Give me a break.

rle4lunch

So, if the only available jobs are low-paying, which most of Disney's are, then they should quit and be homeless or be grateful that they're making a pittance? Give me a break.

There's always customer service jobs available all over the place. Were they homeless before they started working there?

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Anyone who works full-time deserves to make enough to at least afford the basic necessities of life.
And you do at Disney even in the lowest positions.

If you're working almost 40 hours a week (40 is full time hours), you are making at the very least 1200 a month. Probably more, but I'm estimating taxes as being higher than usual for ease. That is enough for 800 a month rent (you can do well cheaper than that with the right roommates or some effort looking), 50 a week groceries (200 total. A very reasonable weekly grocery budget for a single person). 30 a week gas (120 total. A very reasonable weekly gas budget from someone who lived in Orlando). 80 a month for other expense such as Netflix, phone bill, etc.

It isn't amazing living. But picking up extra shifts once or twice a month is an easy thing to do at Disney (easier than anywhere else I've worked) and you'll get paid more for sixth day and for overtime if it's over 40 hours. Even just an easy, short 6 hour shift can get you $100 for pure treat money or savings.

Plus, the Cast member store has bulk versions of staple foods at cheap prices. Eggs, chicken, cheese, etc. If you don't mind it used, that cast store also has cgead furniture and appliances from the hotels. I got a high quality frying pan that was nicer than the 30 dollar one my mom bought and it only cost me 25 cents.

All these estimates are done with the low end college programmer pay from a few years ago. Pay rates have raised since then. If you're working there as a regular cast member, regular raises are in your contract. And it is not that difficult to become a trainer or a coordinator within your first year or two as I saw multiple people get offered these roles (myself included). Thanks is backed up by my friend who worked in multiple locations.

I'm not saying Disney is great pay. I'm not saying it is the right job for everyone. I'm not saying there aren't times it sucks or times money might be tight. I am not saying that there are unfair things about Disney.

I am saying that a job at Disney can absolutely, 100 percent, easily pay for the necessities of life for someone working full time.

If you are working at least 35 hours a week at Disney and are struggling to pay for the necessities of life, you either need to get better at even basic budgetting or stop counting new video games as necessities.

geekza

And you do at Disney even in the lowest positions.

If you're working almost 40 hours a week (40 is full time hours), you are making at the very least 1200 a month. Probably more, but I'm estimating taxes as being higher than usual for ease. That is enough for 800 a month rent (you can do well cheaper than that with the right roommates or some effort looking), 50 a week groceries (200 total. A very reasonable weekly grocery budget for a single person). 30 a week gas (120 total. A very reasonable weekly gas budget from someone who lived in Orlando). 80 a month for other expense such as Netflix, phone bill, etc.

It isn't amazing living. But picking up extra shifts once or twice a month is an easy thing to do at Disney (easier than anywhere else I've worked) and you'll get paid more for sixth day and for overtime if it's over 40 hours. Even just an easy, short 6 hour shift can get you $100 for pure treat money or savings.

Plus, the Cast member store has bulk versions of staple foods at cheap prices. Eggs, chicken, cheese, etc. If you don't mind it used, that cast store also has cgead furniture and appliances from the hotels. I got a high quality frying pan that was nicer than the 30 dollar one my mom bought and it only cost me 25 cents.

All these estimates are done with the low end college programmer pay from a few years ago. Pay rates have raised since then. If you're working there as a regular cast member, regular raises are in your contract. And it is not that difficult to become a trainer or a coordinator within your first year or two as I saw multiple people get offered these roles (myself included). Thanks is backed up by my friend who worked in multiple locations.

I'm not saying Disney is great pay. I'm not saying it is the right job for everyone. I'm not saying there aren't times it sucks or times money might be tight. I am not saying that there are unfair things about Disney.

I am saying that a job at Disney can absolutely, 100 percent, easily pay for the necessities of life for someone working full time.

If you are working at least 35 hours a week at Disney and are struggling to pay for the necessities of life, you either need to get better at even basic budgetting or stop counting new video games as necessities.
If you're single and don't have car payments, insurance, student loan payments, any kind of medical issue, no phone, etc., I still have my doubts that you'd be able to survive on $1,200 a month in anything resembling decent living conditions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom