A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

geekza

Jack Kirby died in 1994, that was the real talent lost. Stan? Not so much.
Kirby definitely didn't get the credit he deserved for his part in the creation of many of the iconic characters, however Stan Lee played a huge part in their creation as well. He was also the public face of Marvel and the person with whom comic fans interacted. My brother put it pretty succinctly yesterday when we were talking about Lee's death. He said, "He was the P.T. Barnum of comics." He was the larger-than-life personality who elevated comic books to a cultural phenomenon. While Kirby and Ditko should absolutely be acknowledged for their contributions, the fact is that they weren't the evangelist for comics the way that Stan Lee was. He lived a long and good life that, sadly, saw him taken advantage of in his declining years. I will miss his presence, but am happy for the joy he brought.

JoeCamel

Kirby definitely didn't get the credit he deserved for his part in the creation of many of the iconic characters, however Stan Lee played a huge part in their creation as well. He was also the public face of Marvel and the person with whom comic fans interacted. My brother put it pretty succinctly yesterday when we were talking about Lee's death. He said, "He was the P.T. Barnum of comics." He was the larger-than-life personality who elevated comic books to a cultural phenomenon. While Kirby and Ditko should absolutely be acknowledged for their contributions, the fact is that they weren't the evangelist for comics the way that Stan Lee was. He lived a long and good life that, sadly, saw him taken advantage of in his declining years. I will miss his presence, but am happy for the joy he brought.
Every interview with Stan Lee he went to great lengths to credit those that worked together to create these iconic characters, the fault is not Stan Lee's if the public does not understand what went into making it all happen so successfully. Some stand a little further out from the crowd than others.

Stripes

She did some great work (Cars Land, Splash Mountain) and some not so great work (The Seas with Nemo & Friends.) It does make one wonder who will get the DHS portfolio now, Trowbridge?
If Trowbridge took the reigns that would be spectacular.

I believe her current role is WDI Atlantic Regional Executive. Overseeing WDW, DCL, and DLP. Although her LinkedIn says she's a WDI Senior Vice President, so I could be wrong.

jt04

She did some great work (Cars Land, Splash Mountain) and some not so great work (The Seas with Nemo & Friends.) It does make one wonder who will get the DHS portfolio now, Trowbridge?

I nominate whoever thought up those 3 poodles and other 2 similar new Christmas scenes at the Studios. At least I think they are new. They have Walt's style and vision.

geekza

I think that it just isn't what people were hoping for, even if it is exactly what Disney has planned, which is a minor area that offers attractions for younger visitors. I don't think it was ever meant to be a major land that was supposed to "wow" guests. It has done fine and people seem to be okay with it. It has the misfortune of being the first major new addition to a park that had really gone downhill in the previous decade and opening before Galaxy's Edge. Had it opened after GE, I think it may have been looked upon more kindly. Once GE opens, people will forget about their over-inflated expectations for TSL and it will simply be the "kids' area" of DHS, as it was meant to be. With that said, Swirling Saucers would be underwhelming in any situation. TSL is drawing people into the park during the waiting period before GE opens. Slinky Dog is still a coveted FastPass for now. It may not being the draw that Disney had hoped it would be, but they'd be fools if they seriously thought it was going to pull in crowds like a major new land would. Until GE and Runaway Railway open, DHS is lucky to get the crowds it does. I know we're only heading over there briefly next week to catch Fantasmic and so my wife can ride Star Tours. If we didn't have Park Hoppers, we would have skipped it entirely.

jt04

Didn’t it not meet expectations of how many people it would draw to the park or something? I’m sure I read that.

There are several manufactured memes concerning this project.

TSL exists because SWL. It is a step above Dinorama and CMM. Actually it is several flights of stairs above those.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom