Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

thomas998

Oh, not until the end of August 2019 -- but I will keep that deadline (60 days at DL, I believe) in mind! It certainly pays to get a jump on things. I made us a hotel reservation a couple of weeks ago (for the Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn, just across the street from DL), and when I double-checked the details yesterday, I saw that the room category we booked, which had other rooms available at the time I made our arrangements, is now fully booked, so others must be planning their trips 10 months out, too.
If you can cancel without a penalty I would consider the Howard Johnson right by DL as it is a better option and the prices are pretty much the same. Also, don't waste any money or time on any of the dessert viewing parties, they aren't worth it. They were once upon a time but that was when you actually had seats, so be warned that some people that tout them are thinking of the older version fantasmic dessert viewing not the current version.

Flippin'Flounder

I'm going to DLR for the first time in early August, but have no interest in SWGE (at least not for my one day in Disneyland, I plan on going to see it when it opens in DHS). Does anyone know how crowded the rest of the park might be? I'm hoping with everyone flocking to Star Wars, it will leave the rest of the park less crowded (or at least not overcrowded). Also, do you all think we should do Indy or Fantasyland for rope drop? I read on the first page that you recommended FL, but I thought the fans there for Star Wars may overlap with the Indy demographic. Thank you in advance!

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
I'm going to DLR for the first time in early August, but have no interest in SWGE (at least not for my one day in Disneyland, I plan on going to see it when it opens in DHS). Does anyone know how crowded the rest of the park might be? I'm hoping with everyone flocking to Star Wars, it will leave the rest of the park less crowded (or at least not overcrowded). Also, do you all think we should do Indy or Fantasyland for rope drop? I read on the first page that you recommended FL, but I thought the fans there for Star Wars may overlap with the Indy demographic. Thank you in advance!

Your best bet at rope drop is to hit Fantasyland (provided it's not an Extra Magic Hour morning) and MaxPass Indiana Jones from there.

Also because SWGE doesn't have tons of open space to absorb guests, there will be overflow into the rest of the park. I'd expect wait times in general to be higher this time next year due to that.

Texas84

Indy has single rider if you want to save a FastPass.

SteamboatJoe

Your best bet at rope drop is to hit Fantasyland (provided it's not an Extra Magic Hour morning) and MaxPass Indiana Jones from there.

In this scenario, I would also suggest considering prioritizing the FL attractions that are not currently at WDW. Peter Pan, Tea Cups, Small World, and Carousel aren't necessarily worse at DL. In fact some, if not all, are equal to or better their Florida counterparts but there are simply too many other unique FL experiences to spend valuable time on things you are sort of already familiar with.

Flippin'Flounder

In this scenario, I would also suggest considering prioritizing the FL attractions that are not currently at WDW. Peter Pan, Tea Cups, Small World, and Carousel aren't necessarily worse at DL. In fact some, if not all, are equal to or better their Florida counterparts but there are simply too many other unique FL experiences to spend valuable time on things you are sort of already familiar with.
That was what I was thinking, thank you! I would like to see Peter Pan and small world if I can, but I'm definitely focusing on the ones WDW doesn't have. So that would be Alice, Snow White, Pinocchio and Toad, and the Roger Rabbit once Toontown opens.

SteamboatJoe

That was what I was thinking, thank you! I would like to see Peter Pan and small world if I can, but I'm definitely focusing on the ones WDW doesn't have. So that would be Alice, Snow White, Pinocchio and Toad, and the Roger Rabbit once Toontown opens.

Storybookland Canal Boats and Casey Jr. shouldn't missed either. Both vintage attractions with some great scenery and views of Fantasyland.

disneydiabetic

West Coaster here, not sure if it will be much different when SWGE opens, but at a typical FL rope drop everyone runs for Peter Pan first, if your not one of the first ones to walk on the ride you could end up waiting quite a while to ride it. If you don’t get there first, I recommend doing the other rides first, while everyone else is waiting for Peter Pan. When I went 1/2016 we waited 10 min for Peter Pan and then walked onto the other FL attractions. Keep in mind that my trip was end of January, summer will be busier.

DisneyDreamer08

Hi everyone. I have a few odds & ends type questions and I thought I would just post here.
My husband and I will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary with a 6 day kid free trip to CA this January. We are spending one day in DL/DCA- Tuesday January 22. We have our tickets and max pass all set up.
1. Park hours were released today and opening isn’t until 10am (booo). I feel like I’ve read to line up much earlier as they will sometimes let you in early. Is this true? We will probably start in DCA, spend a few hours there, then head over to DL for the remainder of the day.
2. Currently, no fireworks or parades are listed online. Any idea when these might show up? I’m on the fence with shows/entertainment. Where we only have one day, we may just focus on rides.
3. I have been to DL once before in 2010 (hubs has never been) and I remember reading back then that there was a ‘better’ side of the Matterhorn. Still true?
4. What are you favorite quick service spots and snacks?

Thank you!

BasiltheBatLord

Hi everyone. I have a few odds & ends type questions and I thought I would just post here.
My husband and I will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary with a 6 day kid free trip to CA this January. We are spending one day in DL/DCA- Tuesday January 22. We have our tickets and max pass all set up.
3. I have been to DL once before in 2010 (hubs has never been) and I remember reading back then that there was a ‘better’ side of the Matterhorn. Still true?
4. What are you favorite quick service spots and snacks?
3. Yes, the Matterhorn has two tracks and the side closest to Tomorrowland is generally considered "better" because it's somewhat more intense. I think one side might have one more Yeti figure than the other also, but don't quote me on that.

4. Can't really go wrong with either Tomorrowland Terrace or Bengal Barbecue.

I'll leave the other two questions to people who can answer them better than I.

Weather_Lady

I disagree. I've heard HJ is excellent too, but we loved the place that @Weather_Lady booked and it was so close and convenient plus it had a free full breakfast.

As it happens, we have kept our Best Western Plus Anaheim Inn reservation. The hotel has been newly-remodeled with updated decor, and the AAA rate we got on a 2-bedroom suite there was quite a bit less than the comparable family suites at the Howard Johnson, although both are, as you mention, well-reviewed. Breakfast will be a welcome feature, as well!

Phroobar

Just a few points for WDW vets so they don't look like tourists while visiting the Disneyland Resort.

1) Never call the Disneyland Resort, "Disney". (ie. "We're going to spend a week at Disney.") This is acceptable at Walt Disney World but NOT acceptable here.

2) Disneyland is NOT in Florida. That is the Magic Kingdom. It is not Disneyland.

3) Whatever you do, definitely don't say "Cali." The only people who don't refer to California as "Cali" are the Golden State natives themselves. You will very, very rarely hear a Californian call their home state by this name, even though people from everywhere else love to call it that.

4) The planning rules you use at WDW do not work at the Disneyland Resort. It is best to go with the flow and enjoy Walt's park and the magic. There is also thousands of things to do off property.

SteamboatJoe

I have sort of an odd question from my last trip. On the way back to IASW on the right hand side of the path, due east of the canal boats, there is an elevated area accessed by steps and ramps. Within it are two IASW themed towers. Does this area consist of re-purposed remnants of an old attraction or was this just built to serve as a meet and greet and/or parade viewing area?

I understand the motor boats used to operate in the water behind the area in question and were accessed by what is now the narrow rear seating area for Edelweiss. I also believe I read that Midget Autopia was located across from the area in question but was destroyed when the path needed widened to access IASW when it opened.

Phroobar

I have sort of an odd question from my last trip. On the way back to IASW on the right hand side of the path, due east of the canal boats, there is an elevated area accessed by steps and ramps. Within it are two IASW themed towers. Does this area consist of re-purposed remnants of an old attraction or was this just built to serve as a meet and greet and/or parade viewing area?

I understand the motor boats used to operate in the water behind the area in question and were accessed by what is now the narrow rear seating area for Edelweiss. I also believe I read that Midget Autopia was located across from the area in question but was destroyed when the path needed widened to access IASW when it opened.
That is the viewing area for the old Light Magic parade. The parade lasted for the summer of '97 and never was run again. The viewing area remained and is a great place to get close to the any parade without staking out a spot hours in advance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom