Disney Announces New Nature Resort on Bay Lake

brb1006

Wow, that Springhill Suites comparison is just TOO alarmingly real. Completely bland.

The Disneyland Hotel in Paris is absolutely stunning. I've been there myself, but you can tell it even in pictures. It's even more beautiful with the water feature and landscaping in the frame. Which is how it looks while approaching. But the hotel is beautiful regardless. A beautiful entryway into a beautiful Disney park.

img_6370.jpg

d39c6ad63cbfe93dc1487a9a03f0c62a.jpg
This is the type of park architecture that I miss from today's Disney.

seascape

I am thinking of adding points at the Rivera and at the new resort just announced. As for the size of the new resort, it sounds huge. 900 hotel rooms and 800 DVC villas.

Tom P.

But it goes that what when you quip instead of presenting your take.

“Trust in Disney...you’ll see” is so pointless. Shut the forum down if that’s weighted as analysis.
There is no point in presenting my take. I have tried to do so on numerous threads. It doesn't matter. A good percentage of active posters here are determined to hate anything that the current Disney does. So I think it's a better use of my time to just point this out and move on to other threads.

CaptainAmerica

Thats comical.
I'm with @Sirwalterraleigh on this one, and we don't agree on much of anything. There's a significant rock star mentality in the upper echelons of WDI that says they get to do whatever they want. They're completely disconnected from reality when it comes to the level of intricacy that actually contributes to guest experience. With the budgets they're given, they should be able to achieve double what they're able to do on any given project, but they blow through cash on things like multiple chartered flights to remote villages in the middle of third world mountain ranges.

In the mythical battle between Creative and Finance, Finance is usually given 100% of the blame from the fan community. If a project should cost $100 million to do right and Finance cuts the budget to $80 million, that's Finance's fault. If a project should cost $100 million and Creative spends $90 million before they even break ground and the rest of the project has to be done on the cheap, that's Creative's fault. Nobody wants to talk about the latter, but both of these things are problems in WDP&R.

Ponderer

This one of the few things I miss from the Eisner era.

I hope the Swan and Dolphin are missing from that list of accomplishments. They're dated, embarrassing eyesores.

What I love about this whole discussion is that the Wilderness Lodge, which is directly inspired by what used to be the Ahwahnee Hotel, is held up as a masterpiece of theming. But this new hotel, which looks equally inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright and the entire school of prairie architecture - a masterclass of designing with nature in mind - it's bland, hotel-like. I'd hate to hear what some of the kind folks around here would say about Fallingwater. "Big deal! It's just a bunch of boxes!"

I love what I'm seeing. They clearly looked at the environment and looked deep into architectural history to find a natural partner for it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There is no point in presenting my take. I have tried to do so on numerous threads. It doesn't matter. A good percentage of active posters here are determined to hate anything that the current Disney does. So I think it's a better use of my time to just point this out and move on to other threads.
There is a point in presenting your take...your are on a discussion board.

And you are assigning ulterior motive to people you do not know. It’s a dangerous trap we all often fall into.

I don’t want to call “duster”...so please take the shoe off. It’s ok to look at the potential of things - positive and not so positive.

UpDog71

I'm with @Sirwalterraleigh on this one, and we don't agree on much of anything. There's a significant rock star mentality in the upper echelons of WDI that says they get to do whatever they want. They're completely disconnected from reality when it comes to the level of intricacy that actually contributes to guest experience. With the budgets they're given, they should be able to achieve double what they're able to do on any given project, but they blow through cash on things like multiple chartered flights to remote villages in the middle of third world mountain ranges.
The only large expense with a trip to a remote village in the middle of a third world mountain range is the flight. I think once there the low cost of living would balance out the higher cost of the flight making the budget for the trip more than manageable. Joe's knowledge and expertise is very valuable to the quality of immersion in a place such as DAK.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

In the mythical battle between Creative and Finance, Finance is usually given 100% of the blame from the fan community. If a project should cost $100 million to do right and Finance cuts the budget to $80 million, that's Finance's fault. If a project should cost $100 million and Creative spends $90 million before they even break ground and the rest of the project has to be done on the cheap, that's Creative's fault. Nobody wants to talk about the latter, but both of these things are problems in WDP&R.

I can’t explain the air of vindication that just blew through the Delaware valley....
You said it much easier than I can/could

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The only large expense with a trip to a remote village in the middle of a third world mountain range is the flight. I think once there the low cost of living would balance out the higher cost of the flight making the budget for the trip more than manageable. Joe's knowledge and expertise is very valuable to the quality of immersion in a place such as DAK.
Don't get lost in the anecdote Cap shared, his point is still a good one. We don't need to break down the cost of a camping trip to the Andes. WDI blows money like an NBA player on his rookie deal.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

There was a behind the scenes video on Everest done as a promo for I believe a dvd release or abc special back in 2005...

It explains EVERYTHING about the problem with dipstick...it should be the orientation video at imagineering...for what not to do.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Don't get lost in the anecdote Cap shared, his point is still a good one. We don't need to break down the cost of a camping trip to the Andes. WDI blows money like an NBA player on his rookie deal.

Actually it’s the nfl...the nba has developed a strong program for financial guidance for its players. Very commendable

Tom P.

There is a point in presenting your take...your are on a discussion board.

And you are assigning ulterior motive to people you do not know. It’s a dangerous trap we all often fall into.

I don’t want to call “duster”...so please take the shoe off. It’s ok to look at the potential of things - positive and not so positive.
I agree there is a point in presenting your take on a discussion board, which is why I am here and why I do participate in so many threads. What I meant was that when I seem to present the same take over and over again in different threads, it seems like there comes a point when contributing to that particular debate is no longer going to add value.

With regards to your second statement, I am not assigning motives, ulterior or otherwise, to anyone. I don't know what motivates people's opinions here. Negative opinions could be because of reasoned analysis based on experience or they could be based on the belief that Bob Iger is a minion of Satan sent to destroy Walt's vision. I have no idea. But motives don't change the point that anytime anything is announced by Disney, it almost immediately gets an overwhelmingly negative reaction from people here. Not all people here, but enough that the discussion threads seem to be far more tilted toward negative reactions than positive ones.

As to your third statement... I probably am a "pixie duster" by the definition of many posters on this forum. So I'll accept that label with pride. :p

CaptainAmerica

Oscar: Okay, the green bar is what you spend every month on stuff you need, like a car and a house.

Michael: Mm-hm. That is so cool how you have my name at the top.

Oscar: The red bar is what you spend on non-essentials, like magazines, entertainment, things like that.

Michael: Right.

Oscar: This scary black bar is what you spend on things that no one ever, ever needs, like multiple magic sets, professional bass fishing equipment.

Michael: How do you do this so fast? Is this PowerPoint?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
With regards to your second statement, I am not assigning motives, ulterior or otherwise, to anyone. I don't know what motivates people's opinions here. Negative opinions could be because of reasoned analysis based on experience or they could be based on the belief that Bob Iger is a minion of Satan sent to destroy Walt's vision. I have no idea. But motives don't change the point that anytime anything is announced by Disney, it almost immediately gets an overwhelmingly negative reaction from people here. Not all people here, but enough that the discussion threads seem to be far more tilted toward negative reactions than positive ones.

Help me out here?

Bocabear

I hope the Swan and Dolphin are missing from that list of accomplishments. They're dated, embarrassing eyesores.

What I love about this whole discussion is that the Wilderness Lodge, which is directly inspired by what used to be the Ahwahnee Hotel, is held up as a masterpiece of theming. But this new hotel, which looks equally inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright and the entire school of prairie architecture - a masterclass of designing with nature in mind - it's bland, hotel-like. I'd hate to hear what some of the kind folks around here would say about Fallingwater. "Big deal! It's just a bunch of boxes!"

I love what I'm seeing. They clearly looked at the environment and looked deep into architectural history to find a natural partner for it.
Wow you have read a lot into that crappy urban modern style that they are building everywhere (Springhill Suites among others) I would certainly not consider them a fine derivitive of Fallingwater or any of Frank L:loyd Wright's works. This looks like a typical modern hotel chain with some nice landscaping and a slightly interesting porte cochere. It is not a masterpiece of themeing..It does not conjure images of Frank Lloyd Wright and the prairie school of architecture at all...and should not even be spoken of in the same sentence as the Wilderness Lodge... This is bland contract design... Unlless they are hiding the amazing details we are going to see... totally out of the box and lacking that Disney style...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom