News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

BrianLo

Original Poster
Anyone saying it's the dumbest thing Disney has done is over exaggerating- but so is anyone who says it fits Disneyland perfectly.

Yes, there are justifications that can be made to rationalize its addition to Disneyland, but it's certainly not a perfect fit and there are other lands that could have been much inside Disneyland.

As someone who is a big proponent (obviously), I will totally agree with you. Of course it's hard to change the knee-jerk reaction and therefore overall narrative, but we are well beyond that point so I do not mind opening up the vault of issues.

Star Wars Land fits Disneyland reasonably well. One of my long ago points was to people who were more than fine with Discovery Bay and thought SW:GE was completing ruining everything Disneyland stood for. That was a hypocritical viewpoint probably based on a preference for one IP over another.

Discovery Bay loses the genre narrative that defines Disneyland. While it did not have Jules Verne in the title, it really was a pseudo singular IP land. Perhaps some other non-Jules Verne property would have felt like a spiritual successor and it could therefore fit... but it was not totally a genre based land.

SW:GE flaw is that (other than being a single property), is sort of an amalgamation of three other genres. Fantasy, Wetern and Science Fiction. Those are already represented. Discovery Bay sort of did the same thing, more of a Historical/Fantasy/Sci-Fi blend. That's kind of why Jules Verne works well as a bridge between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland with 20K.

However, Disneyland has long since lost the original purpose of genre-based lands. Critter Country is not really a genre. Toon town (Animation) is NOT a genre despite what the academy thinks. Historical is a genre so I give soft passes to the Americana fuelled elements whether they be Main Street or New Orleans Square that actually kind of hosts a series of different 'genres' within its boundaries. By those declining metrics, I'm ok that Discovery Bay fits well enough and does not overall water down Disneyland more than other subsequent additions have. SW:GE falls into a similar bracket.

If we actually wanted a land that fits the purported original "Perfectly" it needs to be a hard genre that Disneyland does not currently have. Mythos or Horror being the two bigger ones that come to mind. For various reasons people no longer totally equate Disneyland as being appropriate for 'Horror'... that's simply because the natural land that fits perfectly was not with the original product. But there is a strong undercurrent of attractions that fall into this purview at other strong theme parks (Efteling has many horror attractions). Unfortunately, Disney is not Universal, but a very classic Monsters take would probably be the most palatable and logical addition. Transylvania being something that I think would aesthetically compliment what Disneyland currently has.

Things that are perfect are not always what people want though, they just want familiarity. That's why so many people wanted Discovery Bay. It was familiar, it was just more Fantasy/Sci-Fi. I'd argue that a perfect Discovery Bay locale would actually be the entire Motorboat/Autotopia/Subs plot.

George Lucas on a Bench

Excellent point- but I think the difference between the staged robberies of Frontierland's past, and what Star Wars Land is going for- is interactivity. Watching a staged robbery, and taking part in an interactive story with smugglers, robbers, bounty hunters are two very different things.

Of course, it might not matter- and I concede, it's not my strongest point.

And Indy isn't shooting people down in the middle of Adventureland.

This has always been one of my chief complaints about the Indiana Jones ride. He doesn't kill anybody.

SuddenStorm

It'll be no more different than a land filled with rowdy pirate scoundrels and haunting ghosts already maintains the Disneyland vibe.

The difference between Galaxy's Edge and New Orleans Square is that NOS keeps the roudy pirates and haunting ghosts hidden inside the attractions. It's that classic Walt quote "We'll take care of the outside, and the ghosts will take care of the inside".

In the past, the attractions have been self contained experiences that work inside the framework of the larger land. This allows each land to grow and change as consumer tastes evolve.

In Galaxy's Edge- this is no longer the case. If you don't fly the Falcon right, there's gonna be a price on your head which will impact your interactions with the bounty hunters and scoundrels who roam the street. This greatly reduces the land's ability to change the attractions and offerings assuming the land wide "game" is what Disney's making it out to be.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
In Galaxy's Edge- this is no longer the case. If you don't fly the Falcon right, there's gonna be a price on your head which will impact your interactions with the bounty hunters and scoundrels who roam the street. This greatly reduces the land's ability to change the attractions and offerings assuming the land wide "game" is what Disney's making it out to be.

I think you're the only person in the world who thinks this role-play means you're going to be seriously threatened and/or roughed-up.

SuddenStorm

I think you're the only person in the world who thinks this role-play means you're going to be seriously threatened and/or roughed-up.

Where did you get that idea? Of course that's not the case. Are you familiar with the term straw man? I'm just trying to make the point that Disney's drastically changing the formula for one of their lands with this, and how that will impact the land's staying power over the next 50 years as well as the rest of the park has yet to be seen.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Where did you get that idea? Of course that's not the case. Are you familiar with the term straw man? I'm just trying to make the point that Disney's drastically changing the formula for one of their lands with this, and how that will impact the land's staying power over the next 50 years as well as the rest of the park has yet to be seen.

You're saying you'll feel unsafe. "Disneyland is supposed to feel safe" implying that one won't feel safe in SWL. Not a straw man at all... your point. If I'm missing your point, could you restate it in a way to help me understand it?

SuddenStorm

You're saying you'll feel unsafe. "Disneyland is supposed to feel safe" implying that one won't feel safe in SWL. Not a straw man at all... your point. If I'm missing your point, could you restate it in a way to help me understand it?

Many guests feel at home while at Disneyland. This is well documented, as I'm sure you know.

The only times where there's perceived danger inside Disneyland is while on an attraction. Yes, it's artificial danger- but if one is easily frightful, they can easily avoid the attraction. This is especially helpful for young children.

New Orleans Square was brought up as an example- that land is beautiful with excellent dining and street performances. The land itself is an idealized version of reality- a depiction of New Orleans without the negative aspects of the real thing. The ghosts and pirates are contained inside their various attractions. This holds true for each of the lands currently at Disneyland

Galaxy's Edge is breaking this. If you don't fly the Falcon well, a "price" will be put on your head. Now, there are consequences for how you do on an attraction. The perceived danger that one would find on an attraction is now incorporated into the land with bounty hunters, smugglers, etc.

It's a completely different dynamic from what's been established. Obviously, the details are a few right now- and we won't see how Disney approaches the character interactions and stuff until the land's opened- but I'm curious to see how this impacts the experience of the land.

And I have a hard time reconciling a land that's old, run down, and over run with crime (as depicted in the book) fitting inside Disneyland. It only fits at the most superficial level.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Many guests feel at home while at Disneyland. This is well documented, as I'm sure you know.

The only times where there's perceived danger inside Disneyland is while on an attraction. Yes, it's artificial danger- but if one is easily frightful, they can easily avoid the attraction. This is especially helpful for young children.

New Orleans Square was brought up as an example- that land is beautiful with excellent dining and street performances. The land itself is an idealized version of reality- a depiction of New Orleans without the negative aspects of the real thing. The ghosts and pirates are contained inside their various attractions. This holds true for each of the lands currently at Disneyland

Galaxy's Edge is breaking this. If you don't fly the Falcon well, a "price" will be put on your head. Now, there are consequences for how you do on an attraction. The perceived danger that one would find on an attraction is now incorporated into the land with bounty hunters, smugglers, etc.

It's a completely different dynamic from what's been established. Obviously, the details are a few right now- and we won't see how Disney approaches the character interactions and stuff until the land's opened- but I'm curious to see how this impacts the experience of the land.

And I have a hard time reconciling a land that's old, run down, and over run with crime (as depicted in the book) fitting inside Disneyland. It only fits at the most superficial level.

So, are you saying you won't feel safe in SWL if you do poorly on the MF ride?

D.Silentu

In contrast to my enthusiasm for the land as a whole, I think @SuddenStorm is on track about rides and how they work best as self contained experiences. I applaud the idea of a more personalized theme park experience, but Disneyland is not the correct template for the ambitions notions they have hinted at. Issues of guest volume aside, there will be factions who aren't interested in any sort of role play. Seeing all of Disneyland in one day is becoming a strategic endeavor and it begs the question how much of your single day visit do you want to devote to Star Wars?

I rather hope that the elements of interaction in the land are light, but do go deeper if you so choose. To borrow an example from Universal, you can buy a magic wand and play with that at your leisure. Or, first you can go to the Olivander's show and get your magic wand as a part of that experience. Your involvement is level up to you. That's what I suspect and hope for Galaxy's Edge. Those wanting a truly personal Star Wars experience will likely find themselves shoulder to shoulder with a thousand kindred spirits.

SuddenStorm

So, are you saying you won't feel safe in SWL if you do poorly on the MF ride?

No, all I said regarding the Falcon ride is that if you do poorly, a "price" will be put on your head, which will impact your experience elsewhere in Galaxy's Edge. It extends the story and experience the attraction provides to outside the attraction.

Which isn't necessarily a good thing.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
No, all I said regarding the Falcon ride is that if you do poorly, a "price" will be put on your head, which will impact your experience elsewhere in Galaxy's Edge. It extends the story and experience the attraction provides to outside the attraction.

Which isn't necessarily a good thing.

What's not good about it?

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I think you're taking this "role-playing" aspect of SW:GE a little too seriously. There are going to be people who interact with it, call them the Uber SW Nerds. And then there will be the rest of the guests who won't, call them the passive spectators.

How well you fly on the Falcon will only impact the Uber SW Nerds that are playing the "game". It won't impact any of the other guests who are just passive spectators. There will be something for everyone on every level.

Those that don't participate won't feel any more "danger" than any other land in DL.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I think you're taking this "role-playing" aspect of SW:GE a little too seriously. There are going to be people who interact with it, call them the Uber SW Nerds. And then there will be the rest of the guests who won't, call them the passive spectators.

How well you fly on the Falcon will only impact the Uber SW Nerds that are playing the "game". It won't impact any of the other guests who are just passive spectators. There will be something for everyone on every level.

Those that don't participate won't feel any more "danger" than any other land in DL.
Rumor is the bounty hunters will come "collect" you if you do bad on the ride and will take you to a freezing chamber to be frozen in CARBONITE only to be displayed on the wall of the catina as a warning to other guests of what will happen if you do bad on the ride.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Rumor is the bounty hunters will come "collect" you if you do bad on the ride and will take you to a freezing chamber to be frozen in CARBONITE only to be displayed on the wall of the catina as a warning to other guests of what will happen if you do bad on the ride.

Then most guests will just laugh at it, then ignore it thinking its just a prop like any other. ;)

Rich T

A lot of people here (and elsewhere) are falling hook, line and sinker for all the typically exaggerated Disney PR promises about interactivity, immersion, etc.

It’s going to be a well done theme park land, but it’s still going to be a theme park land. It will be stuffed to the gills with park guests wearing silly t-shirts and taking selfies. And vlogging. And yelling at their kids. And waiting in line while ordering lunch on their phone and playing Fortnite.

There will be a few actors (over)acting and interactive details here and there, ignored by 90% of the guests.

I really, really, really don’t think there’s any need to be concerned about it being too dark or edgy or non-family-oriented. This is not a premium boutique experience. This is park entertainment for the masses based on a big, silly space opera that has always been aimed primarily at kids. It will be less interactive and less dark than your average local Ren Fair.

And it’s going to rock. Just don’t expect the impossible.

Last edited:

Phroobar

I hear this will be on the wall in the cantina.

latest

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom