News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Incomudro

This photo is one for the ages! Most people won’t care about any earlier photographs of foundations being dug or poured. But future generations who grow up with Galaxy’s Edge will love this photo. It’s recognizable, it’s at the same angle as the concept art, and you’ve got the freaking Falcon in it!

That Falcon is going to be the biggest photo op this side of Cinderella's Castle.

Professortango1

Anyone saying it's the dumbest thing Disney has done is over exaggerating- but so is anyone who says it fits Disneyland perfectly.

Yes, there are justifications that can be made to rationalize its addition to Disneyland, but it's certainly not a perfect fit and there are other lands that could have been much inside Disneyland.

Its essentially a Discovery Bay. Yes, I know Discovery Bay was an original concept rather than IP and it worked on a theoretical sense more because it was a merge between Frontier and Fantasy, but for the average park guest, both appear as a rustic Sci-Fi land beyond the hills of Frontierland. Star Wars Land is very organic in design which fits perfectly with Disneyland's aesthetic and it has the same fantastical yet lived-in quality that all the lands except Tomorrowland have. Does it fit a studio park more? I guess thematically, but we can agree that the rest of Disney Hollywood Studios is very urban and this one corner of rockwork and such kind of stands out from the rest of the park design-wise. This designed land aesthetically only really fits the castle parks or Animal Kingdom; and we can all agree it doesn't fit Animal Kingdom in any other way.

So we have a land with older lived-in structures surrounded by artistically designed nature. A land based upon famous old tales and Americana. A land that is "real" yet contains fantastical elements. Yep, seems to fit perfectly to me.

Rich T

Its essentially a Discovery Bay. Yes, I know Discovery Bay was an original concept rather than IP and it worked on a theoretical sense more because it was a merge between Frontier and Fantasy, but for the average park guest, both appear as a rustic Sci-Fi land beyond the hills of Frontierland. Star Wars Land is very organic in design which fits perfectly with Disneyland's aesthetic and it has the same fantastical yet lived-in quality that all the lands except Tomorrowland have. Does it fit a studio park more? I guess thematically, but we can agree that the rest of Disney Hollywood Studios is very urban and this one corner of rockwork and such kind of stands out from the rest of the park design-wise. This designed land aesthetically only really fits the castle parks or Animal Kingdom; and we can all agree it doesn't fit Animal Kingdom in any other way.

So we have a land with older lived-in structures surrounded by artistically designed nature. A land based upon famous old tales and Americana. A land that is "real" yet contains fantastical elements. Yep, seems to fit perfectly to me.
Its similarities to Discovery Bay are actually my personal entryway to being okay with all this. :D As I've mentioned before, in the unlikely event that the public actually gets tired of Star Wars, it could actually become Discovery Bay with a (relatively) reasonably-budgeted cosmetic overlay! :D

shortstop

Its similarities to Discovery Bay are actually my personal entryway to being okay with all this. :D As I've mentioned before, in the unlikely event that the public actually gets tired of Star Wars, it could actually become Discovery Bay with a (relatively) reasonably-budgeted cosmetic overlay! :D
I think at this point, Discovery Bay would never be built anyways, since a lot of it was incorporated into Discoverland at DLP and Mysterious Island at TDS. I believe Tony Baxter has even said as much.

britain

I agree. Some people will never get around it, but I find Star Wars environments very magical and ancient - something that DCA just isn't, and very appropriate for Disneyland.

Rich T

I think at this point, Discovery Bay would never be built anyways, since a lot of it was incorporated into Discoverland at DLP and Mysterious Island at TDS. I believe Tony Baxter has even said as much.
It would be hilarious and kind of awesome if SWGE--in the long run--ends up being Discovery Bay's sneaky back-door way of finally becoming a reality at Disneyland. :D

In all seriousness, the generic (in a good way), non-specific design of the whole Galaxy's Edge environment is the single smartest aspect of the whole project. It's completely adaptable to how well or poorly the SW franchise is doing for Disney at the time. Hit entries in the film franchise can be instantly incorporated, and flop movies can be ignored as the whole land goes retro to the original trilogy. And then, if SW ever really wears out its welcome... Discovery Bay at last! :D

Phroobar

It would be hilarious and kind of awesome if SWGE--in the long run--ends up being Discovery Bay's sneaky back-door way of finally becoming a reality at Disneyland. :D

In all seriousness, the generic (in a good way), non-specific design of the whole Galaxy's Edge environment is the single smartest aspect of the whole project. It's completely adaptable to how well or poorly the SW franchise is doing for Disney at the time. Hit entries in the film franchise can be instantly incorporated, and flop movies can be ignored as the whole land goes retro to the original trilogy. And then, if SW ever really wears out its welcome... Discovery Bay at last! :D
You got to admit the whole area is really striking and beautiful. I think it will be a fun place to walk around and explore once the lookie loos are gone.

Rich T

You got to admit the whole area is really striking and beautiful. I think it will be a fun place to walk around and explore once the lookie loos are gone.
On my DL trip, this past Saturday, I got my first in-person glimpse of the project at the top of Big Thunder's second lift. Mind blown. For all my mixed feelings about SW in DL, I cannot WAIT to walk around in there!

SuddenStorm

Its essentially a Discovery Bay. Yes, I know Discovery Bay was an original concept rather than IP and it worked on a theoretical sense more because it was a merge between Frontier and Fantasy, but for the average park guest, both appear as a rustic Sci-Fi land beyond the hills of Frontierland.

It's the difference between the theoretical approaches each land is taking that separates the two. The average park guest shouldn't be who the Imagineers cater to (that's how you end up with Pixar Pier).

Essentially being Discovery Bay, and actually being Discovery bay are two very different things.

Star Wars Land is very organic in design which fits perfectly with Disneyland's aesthetic and it has the same fantastical yet lived-in quality that all the lands except Tomorrowland have. Does it fit a studio park more? I guess thematically, but we can agree that the rest of Disney Hollywood Studios is very urban and this one corner of rockwork and such kind of stands out from the rest of the park design-wise. This designed land aesthetically only really fits the castle parks or Animal Kingdom; and we can all agree it doesn't fit Animal Kingdom in any other way.

As I said, it's very possible to rationalize it's existence inside Disneyland- but that doesn't mean it's a perfect fit. You're allowing yourself a lot of broad generalizations- stuff like "Does it fit in a studio park more? I guess thematically" and "It's essentially Discovery Bay" aren't comforting.

For starters- while the original lands drew heavy inspiration from the films of the 40s and 50s, they weren't approached with the intent of replicating those films. This allowed Frontierland, Adventureland, and Tomorrowland to change and adapt as future tastes changed.

Star Wars Land doesn't have this luxury- it's unlikely it will become timeless, I fear the "one IP land" is a 2010's fad that will die out as consumer tastes change. Even Star wars will continue to grow and evolve- but Batuu being mapped out from the beginning will have limited opportunity for growth or evolution.

It's not based on old tales- it's based on 2010's tales that Disney put out. It's not based on the original trilogy- which are arguably timeless and could potentially have a place in Disneyland (like an attraction or two, not a whole land), it's based on Disney's attempt at recreating those tales with their own characters. Disney has actively tried to move away from the iconic characters that defined Star Wars for generations- Luke, Leia, Han, Darth Vader, the original Storm Troopers.

And when the sequel trilogy ends with a lukewarm response from fans and Disney reimagines Star Wars again, the Battle Escape attraction will be using imagery that's neither iconic or beloved (TLJ had a very mixed reception, and each film Disney has put out has had less merchandise sales then what came before).

SuddenStorm

It's also worth noting- in the book Thrawn Alliances, Zahn depicts a Batuu that's run down in poverty- with smugglers, gang violence, etc.

Disneyland is supposed to feel safe, clean, and charming- so I'm curious to see how a land filled with bounty hunters and scoundrels will maintain this.

Phroobar

It's also worth noting- in the book Thrawn Alliances, Zahn depicts a Batuu that's run down in poverty- with smugglers, gang violence, etc.

Disneyland is supposed to feel safe, clean, and charming- so I'm curious to see how a land filled with bounty hunters and scoundrels will maintain this.
The Mouse is already pick pocketing you in the rest of the park. Scoundrels will just add to the fun.

zooey

The original Frontierland, Walt’s Frontierland, had gun-toting bank robbers and fiends battling the law as atmospheric dramas. The Disney villains, who kill and attempt to kill, are featured in all the shows, parades, and the dark portions of the nighttime shows.
Indiana Jones... shoots a swordsman point blank for a laugh...
I can keep going.

SuddenStorm

The original Frontierland, Walt’s Frontierland, had gun-toting bank robbers and fiends battling the law as atmospheric dramas. The Disney villains, who kill and attempt to kill, are featured in all the shows, parades, and the dark portions of the nighttime shows.
Indiana Jones... shoots a swordsman point blank for a laugh...
I can keep going.

Excellent point- but I think the difference between the staged robberies of Frontierland's past, and what Star Wars Land is going for- is interactivity. Watching a staged robbery, and taking part in an interactive story with smugglers, robbers, bounty hunters are two very different things.

Of course, it might not matter- and I concede, it's not my strongest point.

And Indy isn't shooting people down in the middle of Adventureland.

zooey

Excellent point- but I think the difference between the staged robberies of Frontierland's past, and what Star Wars Land is going for- is interactivity. Watching a staged robbery, and taking part in an interactive story with smugglers, robbers, bounty hunters are two very different things.

Sure, it remains to be seen if atmosphere is created by a Stormtrooper shooting a bounty dead and, I guess, dragging his corpse to an alley so the cast member can secretly bounce back to life, but I doubt it.
What I’m guessing is that SWGE will feel like danger and adventure can be around every corner, but isn’t happening to the guest. Concept art depicts a lightsaber battle on the rooftops, for example. The feeling of the outer rim is not far from the Wild West. That feeling will exist without concrete, guest-driven actions except in the attractions. Not unlike POTC.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Anyone saying it's the dumbest thing Disney has done is over exaggerating- but so is anyone who says it fits Disneyland perfectly.

Yes, there are justifications that can be made to rationalize its addition to Disneyland, but it's certainly not a perfect fit and there are other lands that could have been much inside Disneyland.

As someone who is a big proponent (obviously), I will totally agree with you. Of course it's hard to change the knee-jerk reaction and therefore overall narrative, but we are well beyond that point so I do not mind opening up the vault of issues.

Star Wars Land fits Disneyland reasonably well. One of my long ago points was to people who were more than fine with Discovery Bay and thought SW:GE was completing ruining everything Disneyland stood for. That was a hypocritical viewpoint probably based on a preference for one IP over another.

Discovery Bay loses the genre narrative that defines Disneyland. While it did not have Jules Verne in the title, it really was a pseudo singular IP land. Perhaps some other non-Jules Verne property would have felt like a spiritual successor and it could therefore fit... but it was not totally a genre based land.

SW:GE flaw is that (other than being a single property), is sort of an amalgamation of three other genres. Fantasy, Wetern and Science Fiction. Those are already represented. Discovery Bay sort of did the same thing, more of a Historical/Fantasy/Sci-Fi blend. That's kind of why Jules Verne works well as a bridge between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland with 20K.

However, Disneyland has long since lost the original purpose of genre-based lands. Critter Country is not really a genre. Toon town (Animation) is NOT a genre despite what the academy thinks. Historical is a genre so I give soft passes to the Americana fuelled elements whether they be Main Street or New Orleans Square that actually kind of hosts a series of different 'genres' within its boundaries. By those declining metrics, I'm ok that Discovery Bay fits well enough and does not overall water down Disneyland more than other subsequent additions have. SW:GE falls into a similar bracket.

If we actually wanted a land that fits the purported original "Perfectly" it needs to be a hard genre that Disneyland does not currently have. Mythos or Horror being the two bigger ones that come to mind. For various reasons people no longer totally equate Disneyland as being appropriate for 'Horror'... that's simply because the natural land that fits perfectly was not with the original product. But there is a strong undercurrent of attractions that fall into this purview at other strong theme parks (Efteling has many horror attractions). Unfortunately, Disney is not Universal, but a very classic Monsters take would probably be the most palatable and logical addition. Transylvania being something that I think would aesthetically compliment what Disneyland currently has.

Things that are perfect are not always what people want though, they just want familiarity. That's why so many people wanted Discovery Bay. It was familiar, it was just more Fantasy/Sci-Fi. I'd argue that a perfect Discovery Bay locale would actually be the entire Motorboat/Autotopia/Subs plot.

George Lucas on a Bench

This has always been one of my chief complaints about the Indiana Jones ride. He doesn't kill anybody.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom