News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

WEDwaydatamover

Easy now. I'm not going to try and unwrap whatever logic puzzle you just threw out so I'll just say based on my previous 5 years of posting history that I agree with some semblance of the direction of your statement pertaining to cupcakes and I guess photos maybe. We'll both be winners then. Taking a huge people-eater out of rotation for 2 years to refurb it in any way is brave when dealing with the crowds they have. The easy thing to do would be to let it stay in operation forever until it just stopped working and have people complain about a lack of proper maintenance along the way. Point that rage laser in some other direction.

*previous
Spaceship has very few crowds since the early 2000's. They only real crowds they have are fictious ones recreated by Fastpass.

The attraction is a husk of its former being. Easy you cupcake.

GlacierGlacier

What's a brave decision? To take a worse than privous existing attraction and make it even worse?

Mayby they can add a dessert menu to those touchscreen and have your worms & dirt cupcake ready for you at the end while they capture a take home photo with a dunce cap ready to buy in 3 hours.
That's a whole lot of assumption from a simple "the ride will be closed for two years."

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
The rumor states that everything up to and including the industrial revolution is safe (Printing, shy paper boy, etc...) will be safe. New projection mapping on the 180 top scene. No word on the screens. Project tommorrow building is to be demolished and replaced- according to the rumor.

I am sad we will be losing this foxy lady.
View attachment 319561
Hubby calls her “Sweet Thing”.
Every. Single. Time.

ppete1975

Spaceship has very few crowds since the early 2000's. They only real crowds they have are fictious ones recreated by Fastpass.

The attraction is a husk of its former being. Easy you cupcake.
Actually its a constant moving omnimover, with no waiting room prior or anything. So it eats people as quickly as they can walk on. So the lack of a huge line or wait, is due to people constantly getting on and no true queue. I'm sure the numbers of what it goes through per hour is out there. Fast pass is the only thing that slows down the process.

BigThunderMatt

Hey, I'm all for omnimovers. I love the people mover.

All I was getting that was I understand back in the 80s it would have been exciting for a lot of people. These days, not so much. I would much rather they do stick something IP based in there, being the parks icon.

Keep the omnimover part of course but the history of communication? Naaaa

It doesn't need an IP. It's instantly recognizable. Not everything needs an IP. I'm not a huge fan of this version of the ride, I much preferred the previous version with the Jeremy Irons narration. At the same time, however, I know it does not need an IP to be interesting. Also, the People Mover is not an omnimover. Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear and SSE are Omnimovers. Horizons and World of Motion were omnimovers.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Seriously, the screens can be very distracting. Especially when one ride vehicle's screen is either frozen or glitched out. Causing the screen to stay look something like this.
fp-epcot-4.jpg
Ours just would not go dark, and was VERY annoying all thru the ride.

britain

If this is all true and, handled very sincerely, with real educational inspiration, and done really well with no cheaping out... it would go a long way toward compensating for whatever IP infusion they add to the rest of the park.

It could become the mega omnimover Epcot attraction of yesteryear, today and tomorrow. It is a trip through Earth's history: Bring in a couple of dinos from Energy before getting to the mammoth, add a world of motion traffic jam in the middle, and maybe a trip to future at Mesa Verde! Ok, now I'm getting ridiculous.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom