News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

JoeCamel

From the pic, it looks like you couldn't even fit 6, so, either that test gondola is just a test for weight and mechanics and not the real model, or, there's something wonky about the angle of the picture.

Look at the third pic down in the blog Mickey post. It shows the depth of the car. Also looks like the scrim is being used to keep prying eyes from seeing the finished paintjob

If they are going based on adult sizes then it looks like you would fit 6 adults maximum. 3 on each side of the cabin. If the seats are in the middle then you could have 2 adults and 2 children as an example on each bench, 1 facing forward and over facing backwards.

geekza

If they are going based on adult sizes then it looks like you would fit 6 adults maximum. 3 on each side of the cabin. If the seats are in the middle then you could have 2 adults and 2 children as an example on each bench, 1 facing forward and over facing backwards.
I had heard that there is room for a couple of people to stand. If that pic shows the actual gondola, though, I can't see that it's large enough for that.

Lensman

From the pic, it looks like you couldn't even fit 6, so, either that test gondola is just a test for weight and mechanics and not the real model, or, there's something wonky about the angle of the picture.
In the picture we're looking at the door side - length. The seat side is the width and is wider.

That said, I do agree that 10 construction workers will not fit comfortably in the cabin. The designed seat width is 18", or approximately the width of an economy class seat on commercial jet. But hopefully the kids won't mind me using up some of their space.

There are also plenty of videos of the Emirates Air Line which is a Doppelmayr 10-MGD installation. Maybe @Lift Blog can tell us whether the seat width is likely to be exactly the same size as that? The Doppelmayr website says that they recently increased the seat width (somehow) from 416 mm to 440 mm or 1.7 inches.

Last edited:
I had heard that there is room for a couple of people to stand. If that pic shows the actual gondola, though, I can't see that it's large enough for that.

Doesn't look large enough bud for that. Saying that the original cable cars that they had in the magic kingdom only used to hold 4 people and while they were much smaller and open air they still managed to shift a large amount of people.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The cabin is rated for 10 people, 5 across seated on the two benches assuming passenger plane seat width.

But, we've been told that WDW will fill it for 8 people for comfort.

1536932838435.png

NormC

Dimensions were already given multiple times for the Omega IV-10 SI D cabin they are allegedly using. This is a 10 person cabin. It is possible however for them to use an MGD 10 cabin.

Omega:
  • Greater seat width – now 460 mm (previously 416 mm)
  • Comfortable legroom – cabin length now 2,656 mm (previously 2,436 mm)
  • General cabin height of 2.22 m
MGD 10 is the smaller dimensions above in parentheses. Still a 10 person cabin. Just cozier. MGD 8 is even smaller.

Watch this:

Dimensions shown for door opening are given in video.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
8 people can come in tremendously variable sizes.
I wish they would allow in a total circumference figure rather than total body count.

I'm sure that if a couple of ample size enter a gondola, the CM would probably only put two more on rather than six more.

The large size of the gondola (technically a 10-seater) and the rapid throughput will allow for less-than-full gondolas with respect to the number of bodies if not total weight.

Incomudro

I'm sure that if a couple of ample size enter a gondola, the CM would probably only put two more on rather than six more.

The large size of the gondola (technically a 10-seater) and the rapid throughput will allow for less-than-full gondolas with respect to the number of bodies if not total weight.

That'd be reassuring.
An eyeball it type of thing.
It can be done without making anyone feel discriminated against.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom