Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

Movielover

So Indy is not going to animal kingdom?

source.gif

Absimilliard

This seems like a good enough place as any for a random question...

@marni1971, do you know the details on the RoboCoaster exclusivity for Universal, was it 10 years from the Forbidden Journey Installation? Is there any interest in the halls of WDI or even Uni creative to reuse it?

I found a very old thread where you and Steve were discussing back and forth that WDI passed it up due to worries about reliability... but it seems like it's been quite reliable (and high capacity) for Universal all these years.

Just seems like too good of an installation to literally be a one-off. Seeing as they are kicking the tires on a lot of projects these days.

I still need to verify into this, but the Universal Exclusivity is either over or was region limited. Warner Bros World in Abu Dhabi just opened and it appears a robocoaster dark ride similar to Forbidden Journey is part of the opening day roster. I am unable to find out if Dynamic Attractions provided that one since Warner Bros and the park operator enforced WDI style confidentiality clauses on some rides at the park. I can tell you who did their Flume (Intamin), Flying Theater (Brogent) and roller coasters (Zamperla and Intamin), but the high tech rides are still clouded in mystery.

Over in China at Joyland, the park that made worldwide news years ago due to their ahem... liberal use of IP's like Warcraft and Starcraft, they opened an expansion area around 2016 featuring a chinese designed and manufactured RoboCoaster dark ride. I was unable to ride as they were enforcing a 200 lbs weight limit and they had a scale at the entrance to check the weight of guests who appeared tall or large.

Absimilliard

Good question. To be honest I don’t know (or forgot) where the exclusivity is up to now. It is an amazing and versatile ride system with so much potential but I don’t know if something the scale of FJ could be brought in for anywhere near the cost of the IOA original by Uni let alone Disney.

It is a tremendously complex ride system that does have a lot of issues still, but the sheer amount of arms available keeps capacity high unless it’s a total ride down. There’s also so much redundancy, clever diagnostic and ease of RV removal without ride stopping that usually the normal guest wouldn’t know (aside from a gap in the benches at load when at peak).

When in FJ Tower, watching the ride-wide CCTV coverage is like watching a beautiful, mesmerising ballet. It’s truly a technical marvel.

To add on this, my concern with a DL or WDW installation of this ride system is accessibility for larger guests. Guests at WDW are used to be able to fit on every ride at the resort no matter their height or size and remember the issues when Forbidden Journey opened? Before they modified the end seats to give a little more room on the shoulder restraints, there were quite a few walk of shame.

Now think back to last year when Flight of Passage opened and how some online and at the park blew the restraint "problem" out of proportion. When I rode it in November, I was expecting the worst at 6'3, 290 lbs then... and I fit with room to spare. Can you imagine the issues if WDW introduced a ride system with say a shoulder restraint that put me at the upper edge of who can fit? TRON was no issues for me but I can imagine the TAV will get a lot of use from those who can't fit in the lightcycles...

Those complaining about Forbidden Journey should try riding some real thrill rides and see how crammed up the seating will be. Worst offenders on that I saw were the Intamin Megalite coaster in China and Hollywood Dream: The Ride at Universal Studios Japan. Even after putting the small seatbelt on and having two ride ops push the bar as hard as they could, there was no way I was going to get a green light on the Megalite. Over at Hollywood Dream, seats were always tight but the issue got worst when they added the backward train. They moved to a sticker on the base of the bar go/no go system and the bar now requires at least 1-2 clicks more than on other hyper coasters from Bolliger & Mabillard in the US. Worst, you have to get it down far enough on your own or with someone else from your party help since the ride operators will not push the bar in to help.

Princess Leia

I still need to verify into this, but the Universal Exclusivity is either over or was region limited. Warner Bros World in Abu Dhabi just opened and it appears a robocoaster dark ride similar to Forbidden Journey is part of the opening day roster. I am unable to find out if Dynamic Attractions provided that one since Warner Bros and the park operator enforced WDI style confidentiality clauses on some rides at the park. I can tell you who did their Flume (Intamin), Flying Theater (Brogent) and roller coasters (Zamperla and Intamin), but the high tech rides are still clouded in mystery.

Over in China at Joyland, the park that made worldwide news years ago due to their ahem... liberal use of IP's like Warcraft and Starcraft, they opened an expansion area around 2016 featuring a chinese designed and manufactured RoboCoaster dark ride. I was unable to ride as they were enforcing a 200 lbs weight limit and they had a scale at the entrance to check the weight of guests who appeared tall or large.
I read that the WBW ride was very similar, but not exact, so I think the patent is still in play.

geekza

Agreed. The only park that remotely should consider ANY marvel IP would be DHS. To be honest though, I’m kinda tired of all IP attractions all the time...ain’t that Universals bag? Would just like to see something unique to the parks for the sake of them.
I think a lot of us would, but it's unlikely anytime soon because of the IP mandate declared by Chapek.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
To add on this, my concern with a DL or WDW installation of this ride system is accessibility for larger guests. Guests at WDW are used to be able to fit on every ride at the resort no matter their height or size and remember the issues when Forbidden Journey opened? Before they modified the end seats to give a little more room on the shoulder restraints, there were quite a few walk of shame.

Now think back to last year when Flight of Passage opened and how some online and at the park blew the restraint "problem" out of proportion. When I rode it in November, I was expecting the worst at 6'3, 290 lbs then... and I fit with room to spare. Can you imagine the issues if WDW introduced a ride system with say a shoulder restraint that put me at the upper edge of who can fit? TRON was no issues for me but I can imagine the TAV will get a lot of use from those who can't fit in the lightcycles...

Those complaining about Forbidden Journey should try riding some real thrill rides and see how crammed up the seating will be. Worst offenders on that I saw were the Intamin Megalite coaster in China and Hollywood Dream: The Ride at Universal Studios Japan. Even after putting the small seatbelt on and having two ride ops push the bar as hard as they could, there was no way I was going to get a green light on the Megalite. Over at Hollywood Dream, seats were always tight but the issue got worst when they added the backward train. They moved to a sticker on the base of the bar go/no go system and the bar now requires at least 1-2 clicks more than on other hyper coasters from Bolliger & Mabillard in the US. Worst, you have to get it down far enough on your own or with someone else from your party help since the ride operators will not push the bar in to help.

I couldn't fit on Space Fantasy at Universal Studios Japan and I'm 5'10" and 260 pounds...wasn't happy about that (not blaming anyone!)

geekza

I couldn't fit on Space Fantasy at Universal Studios Japan and I'm 5'10" and 260 pounds...wasn't happy about that (not blaming anyone!)
That's interesting. I know that the average height for men in Japan is slightly shorter than in the US, but only by a few inches. I've already given up hope of being able to ride 7DMT or FoP because I'm 6'3" and pushing 310lb.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
That's interesting. I know that the average height for men in Japan is slightly shorter than in the US, but only by a few inches. I've already given up hope of being able to ride 7DMT or FoP because I'm 6'3" and pushing 310lb.

You might be ok for FoP but 7DMT is really cramped, even for regularly sized people.

Kman101

Black Panther doesn’t belong in Animal Kingdom, full stop.

But it wouldn't work anywhere else, either. Moot point anyway because it's not usable. LOL. But still. You know if they could it would be Animal Kingdom (DHS is the most fitting but I couldn't see it there after SW opens). And agreed, it doesn't fit but I wouldn't hate it's presence (hypocritical, I know). Again, not happening any way you look at it, LOL. No Marvel besides Guardians it seems for FL, thankfully (Doctor Strange is doable I suppose but doesn't seem likely at this point). I'm actually just fine with that. I'm not upset the contract exists as it does. LOL.

We'd have no doubt gotten a total invasion in Future World. (And I like Marvel; I'm not an uber-fan but I like the movies)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom