News Smoking locations updated at the Magic Kingdom

LEA30

Yes, indeed directly sucking tar and nicotine into ones lungs can and will cause serious damage over time. It is the argument from people that walk by, the fake coughing and the snottiness exhibited toward smokers that I find far more offensive then human beings being human beings and having flaws. The holier then thou group are also part of the same group that drink until their livers look like Swiss cheese that act like if they come within a few feet of smoke will drop dead within three steps that have me upset. And I don't even smoke anymore and haven't in years, but, I did for over 40 years and I know how strong the addiction can be. If you told someone that you had a drug abuse problem they would fall all over themselves trying to find help for you, but, mention smoking and all of a sudden they are evil, stupid and dirty people. The older I get the more I really can't stand people. Maybe people should be banned from WDW. I know it would be a much more pleasant place for me. And please, ban popcorn and Turkey legs. The smell of those things make me nauseous .
Truly, I get it. It’s just a pet peeve of mine to see twisted medical facts put out there, even though I very much understand the point you were trying to make. I don’t smoke, never have, but I treat people dealing with that addiction on a daily basis. And that’s how I look at it. It’s a hard thing to kick and I have never thought people are evil, stupid, or dirty because of it, even as I wish they would stop, for their own sakes, as well as their close relatives. (Sorry, but I’ve seen enough kids with asthma and chronic infections made so worse by smoking to not get frustrated with second hand smoke). My job is the help them, not give them dirty looks. Doesn’t mean I haven’t seen what you refer to

Some people truly do get terrible reactions from smoke. I’m one of them. I have to avoid the smokers areas or I do start coughing. Sometimes heavy smokers even cause me some irritation because of the chemicals on their clothes. So I can’t fully support your implication that everyone who walks by the smokers area and starts coughing doesn’t have an issue. That being said, people obviously exaggerate too.

Every one has their vices. And many have their addictions, legal or not. And those holier than thou attitudes are rampant when it comes to all sorts of disease processes. That’s human nature, unfortunate as it is.

Walt d

Truly, I get it. It’s just a pet peeve of mine to see twisted medical facts put out there, even though I very much understand the point you were trying to make. I don’t smoke, never have, but I treat people dealing with that addiction on a daily basis. And that’s how I look at it. It’s a hard thing to kick and I have never thought people are evil, stupid, or dirty because of it, even as I wish they would stop, for their own sakes, as well as their close relatives. (Sorry, but I’ve seen enough kids with asthma and chronic infections made so worse by smoking to not get frustrated with second hand smoke). My job is the help them, not give them dirty looks. Doesn’t mean I haven’t seen what you refer to

Some people truly do get terrible reactions from smoke. I’m one of them. I have to avoid the smokers areas or I do start coughing. Sometimes heavy smokers even cause me some irritation because of the chemicals on their clothes. So I can’t fully support your implication that everyone who walks by the smokers area and starts coughing doesn’t have an issue. That being said, people obviously exaggerate too.

Every one has their vices. And many have their addictions, legal or not. And those holier than thou attitudes are rampant when it comes to all sorts of disease processes. That’s human nature, unfortunate as it is.
It's only a matter of time before Disney cuts the smoking areas from the park. Public pressure through complaints along with the need for the use of those physical spaces make it not a matter of if, but when. I'm guessing additional stroller parking areas will be needed for the additional crowds that Star Wars Galaxy's Edge will bring, along with the 50th. Also extra ECV parking and more Instagram photo spots will be needed.

We've seen public pressure chip away at some of the most long standing traditions, alcohol being served in the Magic Kingdom being the most notable change in recent history. Disney already photoshops pictures of Walt, taking away his cigarettes he was holding while pointing with two fingers. So it won't be a surprise when the smoking locations, pardon the pun, go up in smoke either.

It doesn't matter if smoking is legal or not. If Disney wants their private property to be a no smoking zone, they'll manage to do it. Bag search will take a little longer as they pat you down looking for your pack, and the spiel on the trams will tell you to leave your weapons, selfie sticks, and CANCER DEATH STICKS* in your car. (*Disney may or may not be more tactful)

Don't forget the Green push either. Plastic straws and lids are already out because of UNPRECEDENTED PUBLIC DEMAND but apparently old cigarettes are the #1 source of trash ending up in the oceans. So how long will Disney ignore that?

Seriously though, I'm happy to walk around the parks without encountering the smoke and the areas are out of the way enough. I can actually recall the few times I've walked near people who were smoking out of the designated areas and that was more of a people behaving badly situation. I've seen more people let their kids go to the bathroom in random areas of the park than I've seen smokers. Despite that, I do think it's only a matter of time. Might not be this year or next, but within a decade for sure.
So the new smoking locations will be easy to fine now it all parks just look for the ten foot black lung that slowly emits smoke. And were you can Inter and work on your cancer and puff away..

Mickey5150

Have people actually called for it to be illegal? That'd be a dumb idea. I think just making it even more socially unacceptable and limiting places where you can smoke will lend to more people getting the idea and giving up on it out of pure frustration. I think there needs to be like one place in the whole park where they can all hang out.
I get your idea but do we really need to try and treat people as social outcasts and frustrate them so that they quit doing something that is perfectly legal? Seems a little harsh.

Todd H

This thread is going to be a delight....I’m in before the lock 💁🏼‍♂️

That's not how you do it...THIS is how you do it...

b67.gif

Prince-1

It is still legal to smoke. Frowned upon, socially unacceptable, unhealthy, and generally considered rude and disorderly - but still legal. As long as people only smoke in designated areas - where I don't have to be exposed to them - I'm fine with it. Or do we want to make a law banning it, and turn millions of previously law abiding citizens into criminals overnight?

I’m good with banning it. I am a Pulmonologist who knows very well what smoking can do so I could care less if people are allowed to smoke on private property. As for your last sentence I would suggest not being so dramatic as there is a HUGE leap from banning smoking in WDW and making it illegal. Silly leap of logic.

matt9112

It is still legal to smoke. Frowned upon, socially unacceptable, unhealthy, and generally considered rude and disorderly - but still legal. As long as people only smoke in designated areas - where I don't have to be exposed to them - I'm fine with it. Or do we want to make a law banning it, and turn millions of previously law abiding citizens into criminals overnight?

i agree with you however do be fair states and more over goverments have done the latter over and over.

Goofyernmost

So the new smoking locations will be easy to fine now it all parks just look for the ten foot black lung that slowly emits smoke. And were you can Inter and work on your cancer and puff away..
Right as long as you don't exaggerate the problem into a major fictional drama. I'm sure you wouldn't do that.

Chewie70

Time to say goodbye to smoking. As a pass holder, I’m seeing more people disregard the smoking sections and smoke wherever they please. This occurs at the parks and hotels.

Let’s not forget Disney is for families, so who wants their kid breathing any cancer sticks.

Walt Disney himself died because of smoking. So, they lost the creative mind to the parks and still allow smoking. Why. $$$$$.

Jambo Joe

They should centralize all the smoking areas in one indoor, air-conditioned spot with negative pressure ventilation and a massive filter-scrubber to emit clean air from the roof. Et voila! Everybody's happy.
Even better - one indoor room with absolutely no air conditioning and no ventilation. This might cure more people from smoking than all the advice in the world from their doctors.

I am half in jest but - the problem with smoking is it’s a product deliberately engineered to be even more addictive through a combination of additives. I feel terrible for those, like my own mom, who could not quit and whose life was cut short by it. The problem is the companies, not the people.

That said - I don’t want to see it or smell it, and don’t want kids especially to do so either - so limiting locations and making them more out of the way is great.

Also - cast members have become lax about politely confronting people smoking outside of designated areas when they see them. They need more training or refreshed training about doing that.

francism

I remember back in 2000 working IT and having to set up one of these indoor smoking rooms in a building with network connections because smoking wasn't illegal inside office buildings at that point. The idea was it would allow people to get up from their desk, walk into this sort of conference room type room so people could smoke without going all the way downstairs and outside. It had a very powerful ventilation system designed to send the smoke out. A short time later, however, laws were passed forbidding this, we went in to disconnect the network connection. The room required a complete demolition to restore it to workable space. Yellow/brown all around.

Maybe those systems have improved?

EricsBiscuit

I say it every time this topic comes up- better to control it than have an unenforceable ban where people light up anywhere out of frustration.
Couldn't they enforce it at bag check? Although I'm sure a few people will smuggle in the smoking stuff anyway. I see people vaping in the parks anywhere they please all the time now.

UpAllNight

A lot of europeans smoke and visit Disney. Banning it altogether will lose them sales, and therefore it’s a none starter. Disney in Cali interestingly only has 1 per park, perhaps due to the more local, health conscious makeup of the guest population.

They should be kept out of the way though...I don’t want to smell it and breathe it in

JJJ

Just returned from WDW... it was nice to see that most people make use of the designated smoking areas. Try visiting Disneyland Paris, you're in for a surprise.
Huh, did you have a problem if/when you visited? When I was there, I actually didn't event notice anyone smoking. But I was in France for a month (and only had a day for both parks there), so maybe I was desensitized by then (or too busy to notice/care)? But I feel like I definitely would have noticed if it was a problem or worse than the American parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom