Rumor New nighttime show at Epcot

brb1006

They were just so creepy for me as a kid. LOL. I forgot about that. I didn't really get to the parks at all during Spectro's last few years. I took a Disney break from around 2009-2013 (during the worst of the stagnation years).
Even seeing this video of the parade's final showing still makes me sad. Especially since guests were hoping the parade would return once MSEP was going to finish it's Summer 2010 run originally before the parade got extended till Fall 2016.

Seeing Spectromagic as a kid really made the nighttime experience at the Magic Kingdom very special and really fitted the night atmosphere with the entire soundtrack. Especially since Jiminy Cricket hosted both Spectromagic and Wishes during the 2000's. As the saying goes "You Don't Know What You Have Until Its Gone".

Kman101

Even seeing this video of the parade's final showing still makes me sad. Especially since guests were hoping the parade would return once MSEP was going to finish it's Summer 2010 run originally before the parade got extended till Fall 2016.

Seeing Spectromagic as a kid really made the nighttime experience at the Magic Kingdom very special and really fitted the night atmosphere with the entire soundtrack. Especially since Jiminy Cricket hosted both Spectromagic and Wishes during the 2000's. As the saying goes "You Don't Know What You Have Until Its Gone".

Very true. It really sucks what happened to Spectro. No reason it couldn't have been the MK's "Dreamlights". Just refresh it and keep it updated and you can have the same night parade for the decades you want it to run for! I mean ... it's not hard. They just don't get it, or care. I'm good with MSEP being kept alive in Dreamlights. Paint the Night works for me in DCA, it didn't in Disneyland.

Imagine if MSEP was given the Dreamlights refresh? It could have gone on at Disneyland for years and years. But we got Paint the Night. Not the worst but the bar was set higher than that with older parades. It has some great tech and floats but I still don't think it's the best they can do. But it's good enough for me at DCA. Go figure that one. I'd also accept it at DHS.

TTA94

Very true. It really sucks what happened to Spectro. No reason it couldn't have been the MK's "Dreamlights". Just refresh it and keep it updated and you can have the same night parade for the decades you want it to run for! I mean ... it's not hard. They just don't get it, or care. I'm good with MSEP being kept alive in Dreamlights. Paint the Night works for me in DCA, it didn't in Disneyland.

Imagine if MSEP was given the Dreamlights refresh? It could have gone on at Disneyland for years and years. But we got Paint the Night. Not the worst but the bar was set higher than that with older parades. It has some great tech and floats but I still don't think it's the best they can do. But it's good enough for me at DCA. Go figure that one. I'd also accept it at DHS.

I’m curious what will happen with Dreamlights by 2021. TDL will likely update/swap out floats again or maybe even replace Dreamlights all together. Perhaps WDW could pick up a few of their older floats similar to what they did with FoF which has floats from Jubilation.

aladdin2007

agree they could have saved so much money by retaining and upgrading it. but in their eyes I think they think they saved money by trashing it and not having to spend on operating costs to run one at all. :banghead: The park is not the same without a light parade.

Kman101

agree they could have saved so much money by retaining and upgrading it. but in their eyes I think they think they saved money by trashing it and not having to spend on operating costs to run one at all.:banghead: The park is not the same without a light parade.

Yep. I think you nailed it. I like to try and believe they have a plan in mind but then I remind myself they run things poorly and they're cheap (and they keep proving me right). So it's not a good combination. That's the problem with short-term thinking. They only care about the now, not the later. That's someone else's problem. And now it is. I think there's a vast difference in how execs locally run WDW to how the "big wigs" want it run. They're not spending money now out of the goodness of their hearts. They have to.

TTA94

agree they could have saved so much money by retaining and upgrading it. but in their eyes I think they think they saved money by trashing it and not having to spend on operating costs to run one at all. :banghead: The park is not the same without a light parade.

I fully agree. Sure HEA is a awesome show but it by no means replaces a nighttime parade. Unfortunately TDO seems to think otherwise. I get so sad walking around the parade route, Main Street at night where so many gathered and waited for the parade.

IMO a nighttime parade should be priority over replacing Illuminations. I’d like to think a parade is at least next in the queue.

Kman101

I fully agree. Sure HEA is a awesome show but it by no means replaces a nighttime parade. Unfortunately TDO seems to think otherwise. I get so sad walking around the parade route, Main Street at night where so many gathered and waited for the parade.

IMO a nighttime parade should be priority over replacing Illuminations. I’d like to think a parade is at least next in the queue.

While not confirmed it does seem the Illuminations replacement moved up a bit (and I know it was confirmed it moved up, but I mean confirmed in terms of 'replacing' the light parade in the 'current queue', not in the plans overall, it seems budget is allocated and it's up to them to decide what to spend it on, if I understand correctly and I probably don't). The "plan" always seemed to be a new night parade for the 50th but there was a slim possibility of it being moved up, likely to when Illuminations is coming online. Just my guessing. But I sometimes think I give them too much credit about these things and they're just flying by the seat of their pants.

Just how I've interpreted things. And I could always be off ;) lol

TTA94

While not confirmed it does seem the Illuminations replacement moved up a bit (and I know it was confirmed it moved up, but I mean confirmed in terms of 'replacing' the light parade in the 'current queue', not in the plans overall, it seems budget is allocated and it's up to them to decide what to spend it on, if I understand correctly and I probably don't). The "plan" always seemed to be a new night parade for the 50th but there was a slim possibility of it being moved up, likely to when Illuminations is coming online. Just my guessing. But I sometimes think I give them too much credit about these things and they're just flying by the seat of their pants.

Just how I've interpreted things. And I could always be off ;) lol

I’d love if a parade was to debut before the 50th but I feel for them push up the date to 2019 or 2020 they would have to have a very high demand to bring a nighttime parade back online. Which I feel there is a high demand, at least among us fans. I’m sure TDO is very much aware of PTNs popularity on the West Coast and a parade like that would keep guests and bring in more guests at night, resulting in more guest spending at the shops and restaurants.

Kman101

I’d love if a parade was to debut before the 50th but I feel for them push up the date to 2019 or 2020 they would have to have a very high demand to bring a nighttime parade back online. Which I feel there is a high demand, at least among us fans. I’m sure TDO is very much aware of PTNs popularity on the West Coast and a parade like that would keep guests and bring in more guests at night, resulting in more guest spending at the shops and restaurants.

I think that's why we're seeing Illuminations instead of a night parade for the MK right now. Not that it was 'the plan' to debut it earlier, but it sounded like it could have been a 'maybe' or something being talked about, but then the update to Illuminations came about. I may not agree with it but I can see why, if they 'had to choose' why they went with Illuminations first and keeping the parade for the 50th.

I agree with your point on a night parade but I think local execs see HEA as serving that purpose and doing what a parade would have done. I don't think it should have been an "either/or" situation, but since it was, I'm not upset to get a really good nighttime show. And one that's very popular. But again, they really could and should have both.

I wonder if they've thought about dumping Fantasmic and putting a PTN clone into DHS? It could use a parade and a nighttime parade would be a good switch. But I really prefer one that fits the MK. I think it would be better for the 50th to have a new parade designed for the MK, not a clone.

TTA94

I think that's why we're seeing Illuminations instead of a night parade for the MK right now. Not that it was 'the plan' to debut it earlier, but it sounded like it could have been a 'maybe' or something being talked about, but then the update to Illuminations came about. I may not agree with it but I can see why, if they 'had to choose' why they went with Illuminations first and keeping the parade for the 50th.

I agree with your point on a night parade but I think local execs see HEA as serving that purpose and doing what a parade would have done. I don't think it should have been an "either/or" situation, but since it was, I'm not upset to get a really good nighttime show. And one that's very popular. But again, they really could and should have both.

I wonder if they've thought about dumping Fantasmic and putting a PTN clone into DHS? It could use a parade and a nighttime parade would be a good switch. But I really prefer one that fits the MK. I think it would be better for the 50th to have a new parade designed for the MK, not a clone.

If they are going to have a interim show at Epcot it would have been nice to have a interim parade at MK. But I get that they must not see the need for a interim parade unlike replacing Illuminations. Had MK not kept Wishes or if HEA lost it’s popularity then things would probably be different.

As for DHS, some may strongly disagree, but I feel they should nix Fantasmic. If not then it needs serious updates.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If they are going to have a interim show at Epcot it would have been nice to have a interim parade at MK. But I get that they must not see the need for a interim parade unlike replacing Illuminations. Had MK not kept Wishes or if HEA lost it’s popularity then things would probably be different.

As for DHS, some may strongly disagree, but I feel they should nix Fantasmic. If not then it needs serious updates.

They're not doing an interim parade at the MK because the MK's current parade isn't falling apart and there's no pressing need to increase MK's crazy-crowded attendance.

I agree with you for Fantasmic. If WDW was serious about pulling people out of the MK, then a F! update would be helpful, especially now that the DHS fireworks is so paltry.

TTA94

They're not doing an interim parade at the MK because the MK's current parade isn't falling apart and there's no pressing need to increase MK's crazy-crowded attendance.

I agree with you for Fantasmic. If WDW was serious about pulling people out of the MK, then a F! update would be helpful, especially now that the DHS fireworks is so paltry.

If that is the case for MK what do you think will change by the 50th that will justify them to have a nighttime parade again? Attendance will only rise due to Tron and whatever other attraction updates they have planned. Even if another park debuts a nighttime show for the 50th, which as of now will be Illuminations, MK will still be extremely popular at night.

Kman101

F! has had a few upgrades over the last year or two.. I don't see them taking it offline for any major rehab anytime soon.

They really can't be updating the rest of the parks nighttime shows and leave Fantasmic in the same place it's been for 20 years now. I imagine it's time is coming.

A good announcement for D23 and for DHS' 30th anniversary would be the news of a new night show replacing Fantasmic! But it doesn't feel like that's anywhere near in the cards. Probably not coming until after the 50th. But just a guess. Time will tell. Even though it badly needs an update, I can see why they have other priorities and keep pushing it off. Hopefully they have a plan in mind.

brb1006

I’m curious what will happen with Dreamlights by 2021. TDL will likely update/swap out floats again or maybe even replace Dreamlights all together. Perhaps WDW could pick up a few of their older floats similar to what they did with FoF which has floats from Jubilation.
Knowing Tokyo Disneyland, they definitely won't be bringing their Dreamlights floats to WDW. Especially since the parade was mostly made and developed by OLC who also have a Christmas version. Unlike WDW, they keep their parades fresh and in good shape plus they don't reuse old floats from previous parades.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If that is the case for MK what do you think will change by the 50th that will justify them to have a nighttime parade again? Attendance will only rise due to Tron and whatever other attraction updates they have planned. Even if another park debuts a nighttime show for the 50th, which as of now will be Illuminations, MK will still be extremely popular at night.

They won't change much except bring a few more rides online at other parks.

They're doing the 50th things because they're expected. Like buying a birthday present for a rich kid.

Without the 50th on the way, it would have been wise to let MK stagnate a bit while jamming new rides in the other parks to help with evening distribution of the crowds. MK doesn't need new attractors.

TTA94

They won't change much except bring a few more rides online at other parks.

They're doing the 50th things because they're expected. Like buying a birthday present for a rich kid.

Without the 50th on the way, it would have been wise to let MK stagnate a bit while jamming new rides in the other parks to help with evening distribution of the crowds. MK doesn't need new attractors.

So regardless if they want to or not, they will be forced to return a nighttime parade at MK in 2021?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I’d still expect a night parade in the MK by the 50th.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They really can't be updating the rest of the parks nighttime shows and leave Fantasmic in the same place it's been for 20 years now. I imagine it's time is coming.
Technically though it’s up to date. It still pulls crowds. It’s had IP updates to feel fresh. Regularly fills to capacity or near. On paper there’s nothing wrong with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom