Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Marni- watched, enjoyed, and liked.
As usual, you've got artwork and construction photos I've never seen before. The lounge is stunning.

Is this version of the Epcot model a new find, I swear I've never seen this version of what I'm supposing is Imagination (yellow)View attachment 294764

Thirty in a Hydrolator?

There's just something about the Seas film that clicked for me. The writing and editing work so well, but beyond that there's just a unique tone that's both intriguing and forboding. The original Energy had touches of this as well. Still hoping a crisp HD version of it gets released someday, but your version is excellent for being recorded in the day. I still get chills every time when the film ends, the tone sounds, and the Hydolator load area opens up.

Did the dive tube actually lead into the tank? I don't believe it did. I also have no memory of seals or sea lions.

The Living Seas to me was when Epcot hit it's peak. Unfortunately it was also indicative of it's problems with the general public. My last experience before the Nemo redo was heartbreaking. Only experienced the new version last year and it is what it is, but I hope more can be done there.

Sorry for the random thoughts- thank you for all you do with these videos, it is very much appreciated.
I agree with pretty much everything you posted here. It’s amazing to relive, and a little sad at the same time. I actually had a lot of work to catch up on today, but thanks to your post I just spent the last hour+ watching;). Time well spent, but I’m sending my boss to you when he asks why my work’s not done;)

@marni1971 great job as usual. Your videos are a real treasure. I love seeing the history, concept art and of course the actual ride videos. I was only at WDW once as a kid in the 80s but I always make sure to scan the crowd to see if I happened to be there the day the video was shot;). No luck so far.

sedati

Yep. 30. Like the lock out chamber I took a lot of info from original 1986 company literature.

The yellow building was an early Health and Life, as we'll see next month ;)

Can't wait. The one time they mapped out a slow moving omnimover and went in a different direction. I would have loved to experience the giant body innards sets, but I can only think that would have been a maintenance/upkeep nightmare in the long run.

I recall a random area in Communicore (West?) where they often put up a full map of the property with "future development" areas marked out along with concept art for future attractions. I would stare long at that map as it was the closest thing to Google Maps at the time and showed future transportation options and where new parks could go.
I believe this is where I first heard about the Health and Life Pavilion, but I recall a few other things that I was wondering if you have anything on. I had checked with Jim Hill on these two and he never responded.

First was a supper club for the Sunset Boulevard expansion for MGM. This was to include an animatronic big-band orchestra. In the art they were fairly simplistic figures, looking sort of like life-sized Fisher Price figures.

The second was for a ride that was to actually be part of the Port Orleans resort. I think it was going to be something like the Blue Bayou in California. Basically just the first section of the original Pirates of the Caribbean writ large, complete with restaurant.

Anything on these, it's been bugging me for decades. Thanks again.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Can't wait. The one time they mapped out a slow moving omnimover and went in a different direction. I would have loved to experience the giant body innards sets, but I can only thing that would have been a maintenance/upkeep nightmare in the long run.

I recall a random area in Communicore (West?) where they often put up a full map of the property with "future development" areas marked out along with concept art for future attractions. I would stare long at that map as it was the closest thing to Google Maps at the time and showed future transportation options and where new parks could go.
I believe this is where I first heard about the Health and Life Pavilion, but I recall a few other things that I was wondering if you have anything on. I had checked with Jim Hill on these two and he never responded.

First was a supper club for the Sunset Boulevard expansion for MGM. This was to include an animatronic big-band orchestra. In the art they were fairly simplistic figures, looking sort of like life-sized Fisher Price figures.

The second was for a ride that was to actually be part of the Port Orleans resort. I think it was going to be something like the Blue Bayou in California. Basically just the first section of the original Pirates of the Caribbean writ large, complete with restaurant.

Anything on these, it's been bugging me for decades. Thanks again.
Thank you. I’ve got a lot of info on earlier Life pavilions coming. I did hear about a supper club but have no more info. The PO resort... sure it wasn’t the PO themed resort that was planned for Lake Buena vista where PI was eventually built?

sedati

Thank you. I’ve got a lot of info on earlier Life pavilions coming. I did hear about a supper club but have no more info. The PO resort... sure it wasn’t the PO themed resort that was planned for Lake Buena vista where PI was eventually built?
The supper club I definitely saw concept art for. The Port Orleans ride was just a brief mention. I don't think this had anything to do with the earlier plan of placing it by the Lilly Belle as that idea was already dropped by the time I'd heard about this. It was before groundbreaking, and I believe it was just an idea being tossed about to draw up more interest in the (then) upcoming resort. I don't have them anymore, but I think if someone out there has the old Disney Magazines, this was included in the first mention of this resort.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The supper club I definitely saw concept art for. The Port Orleans ride was just a brief mention. I don't think this had anything to do with the earlier plan of placing it by the Lilly Belle as that idea was already dropped by the time I'd heard about this. It was before groundbreaking, and I believe it was just an idea being tossed about to draw up more interest in the (then) upcoming resort. I don't have them anymore, but I think if someone out there has the old Disney Magazines, this was included in the first mention of this resort.
The magazines are now available in an archive; you don’t have a rough date or even year do you?

The supper club wasn’t Copperfields was it?

sedati

It's hard working off of thirty year old memories, but I think I found the exterior of the club (Coconut Club) over at wdwthemeparks.com:
r-1352081522-SunsetBoulevard2.jpg

Seems it would have been where Sunset Ranch Market stands today:
Untitled-1.jpg

Still looking for a pic of the interior with animatronic band. I remember it being a lot like the South Seas Club from "The Rocketeer."

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

It's hard working off of thirty year old memories, but I think I found the exterior of the club (Coconut Club) over at wdwthemeparks.com:
r-1352081522-SunsetBoulevard2.jpg

Seems it would have been where Sunset Ranch Market stands today:
View attachment 295397
Still looking for a pic of the interior with animatronic band. I remember it being a lot like the South Seas Club from "The Rocketeer."
I've always loved that concept art for Sunet Boulevard.

Kman101

Thank you. I’ve heard nothing more recently.

Maybe that's actually a good thing? lol (unless the plan was to restore the pavilion and dump Nemo but that'd be a dream and not under this regime)

It can't get any worse. The Nemo ride could really use a refresh though. But I guess "good enough" is still "good enough" for them. Weren't you thinking they'd update the Seas? Were plans on the table but now they're in limbo or something? I know you can't say much, just more or less wondering outloud. I imagine The Land is where the focus will go unless they cut that too.

Kman101

Something doesn't seem right? Shouldn't we have started to see more construction walls throughout Future World besides just by UoE?
I mean...Were "Suppose" to see this.....Right?
Future-World-makeover-coming-to-Epcot-concept-art-1024x566.jpg

And here we are a full year out after the D23 2017 announcement for this elaborate and amazing tree filled wonderland of the future and it's just......
DiscreteDizzyAiredaleterrier-size_restricted.gif

Um, concrete is all you get. Look at Toy Story Land ;)

I imagine the hub re-do will be similar to the Main Street hub re-do. Areas for "viewing" and different, larger walkways, though Epcot's pretty large as it is.

It really needs more water and trees but not by sacrificing the buildings.

Very curious what they ultimately do. I'd take the tarps and tombstones and a new paint job. I'm not asking for much ...

Although sometimes I do wish they'd boldly re-do the entire area like they show above. I know that's a horror to some but often times I wish they'd just do it from scratch instead of trying to do what they usually do and it never comes together. Like current Future World. Yeesh, what a mess. More Fountainview designs and less kaleidoscope (which sounds like it was abandoned thankfully).

At least the Bob's now know what an Epcot is. Too bad they don't get it.

I know Guardians is considered "family friendly" but we have to be getting more IP tie-ins. Rat and Mary are great, but WS should have already been up two rides. So it's like New Fantasyland, making up for lost capacity or capacity that should have been met a decade ago.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Maybe that's actually a good thing? lol (unless the plan was to restore the pavilion and dump Nemo but that'd be a dream and not under this regime)

It can't get any worse. The Nemo ride could really use a refresh though. But I guess "good enough" is still "good enough" for them. Weren't you thinking they'd update the Seas? Were plans on the table but now they're in limbo or something? I know you can't say much, just more or less wondering outloud. I imagine The Land is where the focus will go unless they cut that too.
There are still plans to update (or refresh) The Seas. Same for Land. Currently circa 2021.

jaklgreen

Something doesn't seem right? Shouldn't we have started to see more construction walls throughout Future World besides just by UoE?
I mean...Were "Suppose" to see this.....Right?
Future-World-makeover-coming-to-Epcot-concept-art-1024x566.jpg

And here we are a full year out after the D23 2017 announcement for this elaborate and amazing tree filled wonderland of the future and it's just......
DiscreteDizzyAiredaleterrier-size_restricted.gif

Concept art is NEVER what a project turns out to be. I mean just look at it, they would have to basically start from scratch. I would not go by any designer's concept art when it comes to renovations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom