Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

lazyboy97o

It was unique ironically because it was unsanctioned . Unable to get many counties, the fair replaced them with corporations many of which went insane spending millions on elaborate pavilions. It wasn't just Disney. Probably the best remembered (and certainly the most visited) was GM's Futurama. Expo '67 just a few years later didn't have the same impact (even though it drew way more visitors) because it was more like a normal WF...
Corporate presence at fairs was not new nor were dazzling pavilions. Their very origin is The Great Exhibition of the Works of Industry of All Nations held in the Crystal Palace. You’re also mixing up the two New York Fairs, as Futurama was presented at the 1939 Fair.

The involvement of corporations with EPCOT Center also came directly from the plans for EPCOT and the industrial park where “In attractive park-like settings, the six million people who visit Disney World each year will look behind the scenes at experimental prototype plants, research and development laboratories, and computer centers for major corporations.”

HauntedMansionFLA

Not sure if he posts about these elsewhere, but Martin put out his communicore video today. I for one applaud him for having the entirety of the backstage magic show including the video preshow.

It’s very well done as always, and very nostalgic for me. Still, I do believe that step one in re-invigorationg Epcot should involve the complete destruction of those buildings.
Where was it posted??

HauntedMansionFLA

Youtube, Vimeo, Mousebits, the usual places. His site: http://www.martinsvids.net/ and Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinsVidsDotNet/videos
Awesome. Thank you. My wife and I made the comment a little while back on how EPCOT has grown on us. We know live close to the parks now and can enjoy them at a slow pace instead of the rushed 5/6 day vacation. I was at the park last week and the wait times for the rides were crazy but World Showcase was nice and calm. We started to see all of the hidden details that we didn’t notice before.

Rich Brownn

Corporate presence at fairs was not new nor were dazzling pavilions. Their very origin is The Great Exhibition of the Works of Industry of All Nations held in the Crystal Palace. You’re also mixing up the two New York Fairs, as Futurama was presented at the 1939 Fair.

The involvement of corporations with EPCOT Center also came directly from the plans for EPCOT and the industrial park where “In attractive park-like settings, the six million people who visit Disney World each year will look behind the scenes at experimental prototype plants, research and development laboratories, and computer centers for major corporations.”
Futurama II was at the NY World's Fair (its estimated in todays dollars it would cost $300 million). BTW, the 39/40 was not originally BIE either (requirements are no more than 6 months). The NY world's Fair featured tons of corporations - GM, Ford, Crysler, IBM, Bell System, etc. It was heavily weighed towards corporations because of the lack of countries. See the web site www.nywf64.com for more details.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Not sure if he posts about these elsewhere, but Martin put out his communicore video today. I for one applaud him for having the entirety of the backstage magic show including the video preshow.

It’s very well done as always, and very nostalgic for me. Still, I do believe that step one in re-invigorationg Epcot should involve the complete destruction of those buildings.
No no no no no no no. They are works of art. They just need to be used again and restored to their former glory.

aladdin2007

If they do reconstruct the spine, I hope to heaven that Club Cool stays.

I can lose the meet-and-greets. I could lose Electric Umbrella. But I swear, I will riot in front of the TDO offices if they get rid of Club Cool. Where else am I going to get delicious free samples of Beverly, the best soda on Earth? ;)

well there is that new Coke roof top snack bar at Disney Springs, I don't know if they have it but...worth a try as an alternative if it ever came to that. :)

trainplane3

Going to bump this to avoid starting a new thread for a minor question:
I've been seeing over on Twitter for the past couple weeks that the waterways in Future World have been drained. Does anyone know what's going on? I'm going to assume maintenance but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.

THE Monorail Lime

well there is that new Coke roof top snack bar at Disney Springs, I don't know if they have it but...worth a try as an alternative if it ever came to that. :)
If they do reconstruct the spine, I hope to heaven that Club Cool stays.

I can lose the meet-and-greets. I could lose Electric Umbrella. But I swear, I will riot in front of the TDO offices if they get rid of Club Cool. Where else am I going to get delicious free samples of Beverly, the best soda on Earth? ;)
AND fanta Water Mellon

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I've been seeing over on Twitter for the past couple weeks that the waterways in Future World have been drained. Does anyone know what's going on? I'm going to assume maintenance but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.
Maintenance. It’s done periodically.

Indeed, some of those fountains/ponds have already been drained or taken off-line and are now back filled and working. The work started closest to Imagination and is working its way toward Sea.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I dropped my phone in there a few weeks back and some CM told me he would try to find it. He takes his customer service pretty seriously;)

sedati

Everyone drop what you’re doing, Martin just put out his Living Seas tribute!
Marni- watched, enjoyed, and liked.
As usual, you've got artwork and construction photos I've never seen before. The lounge is stunning.

Is this version of the Epcot model a new find, I swear I've never seen this version of what I'm supposing is Imagination (yellow)
Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 7.20.21 PM.png

Thirty in a Hydrolator?

There's just something about the Seas film that clicked for me. The writing and editing work so well, but beyond that there's just a unique tone that's both intriguing and forboding. The original Energy had touches of this as well. Still hoping a crisp HD version of it gets released someday, but your version is excellent for being recorded in the day. I still get chills every time when the film ends, the tone sounds, and the Hydolator load area opens up.

Did the dive tube actually lead into the tank? I don't believe it did. I also have no memory of seals or sea lions.

The Living Seas to me was when Epcot hit it's peak. Unfortunately it was also indicative of it's problems with the general public. My last experience before the Nemo redo was heartbreaking. Only experienced the new version last year and it is what it is, but I hope more can be done there.

Sorry for the random thoughts- thank you for all you do with these videos, it is very much appreciated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom