A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Rodan75

That's something that was brought up here, a bit earlier - and I think it might have worked before they fired him the first time. Now? I just can't see how, no matter what they can come up with, Disney can say "You know what, we unfairly fired him." How do they admit that, even legally?

Oh yeah. I actually agree. But it is the tiniest of viable paths. This at least provides an excuse for reversing course (no one wants to blame the victim of child abuse). I’m not saying it is a likely path.

They could even say they investigated and found no actual links to pedophilia (and actually do an investigation and pyschological eval).

Again, the smallest of paths. But you could see a redemptive arc here that doesn’t ignore the old bad behavior.

AEfx

Oh yeah. I actually agree. But it is the tiniest of viable paths. This at least provides an excuse for reversing course (no one wants to blame the victim of child abuse). I’m not saying it is a likely path.

They could even say they investigated and found no actual links to pedophilia (and actually do an investigation and pyschological eval).

Again, the smallest of paths. But you could see a redemptive arc here that doesn’t ignore the old bad behavior.

That's just it - and what that article above seems to ignore - almost no one actually thinks he is a pedophile, or at least that this is what it means. They didn't fire him because a few dozen crazies said he was, they fired him over the content of the tweets and blog posts, and/or who some were associated with (which the article completely ignored, as well - it makes no sense why they didn't try to debunk that if it isn't true, and makes all the sense in the world why they would leave it out like nearly everyone else has, because it is the part that breaks the narrative).

Some are trying to play it all off as a conspiracy theory like he didn't do anything wrong at all, I think some sides are being disingenuous.

Pixieish

That's just it - and what that article above seems to ignore - almost no one actually thinks he is a pedophile, or at least that this is what it means. They didn't fire him because a few dozen crazies said he was, they fired him over the content of the tweets and blog posts, and/or who some were associated with (which the article completely ignored, as well - it makes no sense why they didn't try to debunk that if it isn't true, and makes all the sense in the world why they would leave it out like nearly everyone else has, because it is the part that breaks the narrative).

Some are trying to play it all off as a conspiracy theory like he didn't do anything wrong at all, I think some sides are being disingenuous.
That's a biggie among his supporters - many mention that they don't excuse the tweets and they think they were disgusting, while also making note of how changed he is now.

I'll be honest...I really didn't know jack about him as a person before this, but the more I read about him (especially the interviews) the more I like him.

the.dreamfinder

That's a biggie among his supporters - many mention that they don't excuse the tweets and they think they were disgusting, while also making note of how changed he is now.

I'll be honest...I really didn't know jack about him as a person before this, but the more I read about him (especially the interviews) the more I like him.
Here’s a good interview that should give folks an idea of who he is. (NSFW)
http://podbay.fm/show/450637314/e/1344841200?autostart=1

Last edited:

Rodan75

TBH I didn’t read the wired article, if that is what you are referencing.

However, the more generic twitter or commentary response I read, the more I see that some people who aren’t paying attention think he was fired for being a pedophile and attacking the #SaveGunn folks for defending pedos. (I genuinely don’t believe they are simply Trolling, not all of them anyway.).

If Disney brings him back they have to address the whole narrative, not just the bits and pieces folks are using to justify their positions. (Which I think we are agreeing on).

And because they have to address the whole narrative, it makes it trickier to handle. Which again, makes it unlikely they even try. Depends on how much Feige or any other exec at Disney is willing to go to bat for him. Which requires more courage than we’ve seen from any mid-level exec.

I still think there is a thin chance they try to thread this needle, but it could be possible. I’m still at 20 yes / 80 no.

Pixieish

TBH I didn’t read the wired article, if that is what you are referencing.

However, the more generic twitter or commentary response I read, the more I see that some people who aren’t paying attention think he was fired for being a pedophile and attacking the #SaveGunn folks for defending pedos. (I genuinely don’t believe they are simply Trolling, not all of them anyway.).

If Disney brings him back they have to address the whole narrative, not just the bits and pieces folks are using to justify their positions. (Which I think we are agreeing on).

And because they have to address the whole narrative, it makes it trickier to handle. Which again, makes it unlikely they even try. Depends on how much Feige or any other exec at Disney is willing to go to bat for him. Which requires more courage than we’ve seen from any mid-level exec.

I still think there is a thin chance they try to thread this needle, but it could be possible. I’m still at 20 yes / 80 no.
There's definitely a segment of people that can't get past the tweet content at all. It's like they've walked face-first into a brick wall so it blocks out everything else.

the.dreamfinder

Chris Miller and Phil Lord would be awesome at directing a GotG film.
Except after they were fired from Solo, I'm not sure if Disney would consider hiring them again for quite some time.
That gets to the crux of our problem. This is bigger than Gunn, it’s about the kinds of people who can actually create populist art in the 21st century.

James Mangold said it best

Rodan75

That gets to the crux of our problem. This is bigger than Gunn, it’s about the kinds of people who can actually create populist art in the 21st century.

And this is one of the reasons why I think Disney will at least think about Gunn more closely than they would have before. They may really end up having trouble finding talent for the Director's chair on these movies.

Princess Leia

And this is one of the reasons why I think Disney will at least think about Gunn more closely than they would have before. They may really end up having trouble finding talent for the Director's chair on these movies.
If you look at Phase 1, outside of Branagh and Whedon, there weren’t any big name/creative directors. Phase 2 opened the field a bit and would have had Edgar Wright, alongside Shane Black, Whedon and Gunn. Phase 3 really seems to have been the best for director influence.

AEfx

Oh, we shouldn't kid ourselves. There is no shortage of talent. What about all these women/gay/black/Hispanic/etc. etc. directors that we keep hearing can't get work? Surely some of them are talented enough to helm a Marvel or Star Wars film. Let's not pretend Gunn was some irreplaceable entity.

Mangold seems to be inferring about Rian Johnson as well - well, Rian Johnson in my eyes has proven himself to be a hack, so I guess that is in the eye of the beholder.

If I were a person who frequented The Mary Sue, I would see these statements as problematic as it presumes that only middle-aged "CIS" straight white guys can handle big budget superhero and sci-fi features.

the.dreamfinder

Oh, we shouldn't kid ourselves. There is no shortage of talent. What about all these women/gay/black/Hispanic/etc. etc. directors that we keep hearing can't get work? Surely some of them are talented enough to helm a Marvel or Star Wars film. Let's not pretend Gunn was some irreplaceable entity.

Mangold seems to be inferring about Rian Johnson as well - well, Rian Johnson in my eyes has proven himself to be a hack, so I guess that is in the eye of the beholder.

If I were a person who frequented The Mary Sue, I would see these statements as problematic as it presumes that only middle-aged "CIS" straight white guys can handle big budget superhero and sci-fi features.
He is referring to Rian, but also how poisonous making these films is now.

Do you seriously believe minorities or LGBTQ filmmakers will be able to get these jobs with the use of weaponized harassment?

the.dreamfinder

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom