News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

Cmdr_Crimson

Skip the bags, have it shipped to your resort. I'm sure you will magically have bags when you pick it up.
I'm sure this also another good way to utilize both versions for the in park package & resort pick up because of this..Which might cause headaches down the road...

peter11435

"Everything is unnecessary if you try hard enough." May I apply that standard to your attitude towards straws?

"Comparing the usefulness of Magicbands to a straws is silly." Seems subjective. Disney survived and thrived for decades without Magicbands. I recall everything being fine at Disney when it had straws and no Magicbands.

Look, we could go back and forth with this all day. It's a subjective argument. But the fact of the matter is, this is nothing but a PR stunt in response to a report (based on a fourth-graders report) that the media decided it was going to make the trendy cause.

Straws are unnnessary by any standard without even trying.

Yes Disney survived without Magicbands. Just as you probably did in a world without smartphones and computers. The function a Magicband currently performs can’t be easily replaced without it. I can easily consume a beverage without a straw.

The usefulness of straws or Magicbands is subjective. The 175 million plastic straws annually used by TWDC is certainly not. Eliminating and reducing any amount of plastic waste is benefecial for the environment, that is not subjective. Whether they are doing it for PR or to help the environment is irrelevant, it’s good for the earth either way.

rnese

Love this! It's a start and someone has to start somewhere.

And if your having that much of an issue about your precious straw then maybe it's time to learn how to drink like an adult.
My friend's 18 year old daughter has cerebral palsy. Needs a straw. Tough for her to "drink like an adult". Now, I know you didn't mean any ill will towards someone in her situation, but the attitude that people who like to drink from straws, sorry, "precious" straws, need to learn to drink like adults is very intolerant, don't you think?

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
They are most likely doing this for Publicity. But so what? They are slightly producing less waste and pollution because of it.

I can see Disney marketing themselves as being a significantly greener vacation option with this policy in place, The free rapid transit systems of The Monorail and The Skyliner, and the big solar power farm they're building.

Its all a slight of hand. Disney is only making changes that don't affect their bottom line and have a minuscule impact on any sort of environmental good. But will exploit the hell out this for PR purposes.

Meanwhile the real environmental problems which their operation creates (plastic, diesel busses, etc) will go unchanged and under the radar because it's not something they want to get noticed and something that they don't want to change as it could affect their profitability.

fizzieee

My friend's 18 year old daughter has cerebral palsy. Needs a straw. Tough for her to "drink like an adult". Now, I know you didn't mean any ill will towards someone in her situation, but the attitude that people who like to drink from straws, sorry, "precious" straws, need to learn to drink like adults is very intolerant, don't you think?
I was literally just about to argue this point. My sister has down syndrome and had TREMENDOUS trouble drinking without a straw when she was younger, and I know many kids with similar situations even as they've gotten older. Straws are actually a very important tool for some people.

rnese

They are most likely doing this for Publicity. But so what? They are slightly producing less waste and pollution because of it.

I can see Disney marketing themselves as being a significantly greener vacation option with this policy in place, The free rapid transit systems of The Monorail and The Skyliner, and the big solar power farm they're building.
...the trees and wildlife habitats they're destroying to build DVC units, hotels, attractions, etc...

I am all in favor of doing things smarter to be better stewards of the environment. I just don't want preached to.

peter11435

JohnD

I don't see any inconvenience to the customer or having this just being a case of budget cut, Sure they are probably doing this as well as building the new Solar panel farm at WDW to advertise Disney as going GREEN for the general public, but so what? They're slightly reducing their impact on the environment.

Just don't complain when prices are increased across the parks to pay for being environmentally friendly.

Straws are unnnessary by any standard without even trying.

Yes Disney survived without Magicbands. Just as you probably did in a world without smartphones and computers. The function a Magicband currently performs can’t be easily replaced without it. I can easily consume a beverage without a straw.

The usefulness of straws or Magicbands is subjective. The 175 million plastic straws annually used by TWDC is certainly not. Eliminating and reducing any amount of plastic waste is benefecial for the environment, that is not subjective. Whether they are doing it for PR or to help the environment is irrelevant, it’s good for the earth either way.
I'm going to guess that you've never had to deal with sensitive teeth or a debilitative problem such as Parkinson's or cerebral palsy...

castlecake2.0

I have a fear that Disney will start selling cloth shopping bags for about 15 bucks a pop. The more you buy in store, means the more you have to carry. Thus, you have to purchase more cloth shopping bags...

We’ve already started this at The Disney Store. Reusable bags are $0.99, or guests can bring their own, or we can attach a handle to the box, or they can just carry the item out as is.

GlassHalfFull

I'm going to guess that you've never had to deal with sensitive teeth or a debilitative problem such as Parkinson's or cerebral palsy...

If they went with a "only available upon request" policy I'd bet they'd cut their straw usage a SIGNIFICANT amount, while still keeping everyone happy.. Or if you have an issue as mentioned above, they would allow you to have a straw whether it be paper, or your own reusable straw that you bring in..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom