News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

peter11435

So, they aren't getting rid of Magic Bands, right? They seem "unnecessary". Room keys were made of metals. People only dispose of a credit card once every 3 years or so. Fastpasses were already made from paper. Why the straws, but not Magic Bands? Hmmmm...

Everything is unnecessary if you try hard enough.

Comparing the usefulness of Magicbands to a straw is silly. Regardless Disney has a recycling plan in place for Magicbands and options to avoid ordering new ones with each new booking.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
No plastic shopping bags is more justification for STROLLERS!

4AAE04A5-52EB-41F3-8A10-A4FCAF2E63CA.jpeg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You would think they would go paper, but at my local Disney store it's a $.69 tote bag or nothing. (They stopped giving plastic bags at the begining ov July, saying "Disney is going Green") It just comes off as a money grab and not an environmental help. Other stores that dont use plastic at least use paper and dont make you buy something to take your PURCHASE home.

Dont get me wrong I am cool with limiting plastics and having paperstraws, but let me ask this, if we take all the plastic out and start consuming more paper products wont we have a bigger deforestation/death of the rain forest issues...
Paper typically comes from farmed lumber so it is not all that different from cory, soybeans or any other crop.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
When Disney gets rids of the plastic drink bottles, plastic ponchos, plastic food containers, plastic merchandise wrapping materials, and any other mass distributed plastic item (that they use or sell to generate revenues) and swap it out for an environmentally friendly (and more expensive) alternative then they are making a difference.

All they are doing right now is using the social media outrage over the evils of plastic straws to save on their operating budget by no longer having to buy plastic straws.

KBLovedDisney

When Disney gets rids of the plastic drink bottles, plastic ponchos, plastic food containers, plastic merchandise wrapping materials, and any other mass distributed plastic item (that makes they use or sell to generate revenues) and swaps it out for an environmentally friendly alternative then they are making a difference.

All they are doing right now is using the social media outrage over the evils of plastic straws to save on their operating budget by no longer having to buy plastic straws.
In other words, it's trending. So they must trend with the trendsetters.

dreamfinder

Are the plastic utensils biodegradable? If not I would imagine that this would be a big place to cut down on plastic waste.

Can't speak specifically to their current utensils of choice, but yes there are several brands of utensils that are biodegradable. And if not, I'd be shocked if WDW doesn't recycle the ones they currently use, they have an impressive in house recycling program.

Straws are a baby step, or low hanging fruit.

rnese

Everything is unnecessary if you try hard enough.

Comparing the usefulness of Magicbands to a straw is silly. Regardless Disney has a recycling plan in place for Magicbands and options to avoid ordering new ones with each new booking.
"Everything is unnecessary if you try hard enough." May I apply that standard to your attitude towards straws?

"Comparing the usefulness of Magicbands to a straws is silly." Seems subjective. Disney survived and thrived for decades without Magicbands. I recall everything being fine at Disney when it had straws and no Magicbands.

Look, we could go back and forth with this all day. It's a subjective argument. But the fact of the matter is, this is nothing but a PR stunt in response to a report (based on a fourth-graders report) that the media decided it was going to make the trendy cause.

Cmdr_Crimson

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom