News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

rnese

**AFFECTS**

Affect is most often used as a verb meaning “to have an impact on,” as in “The tornado barreling towards us will affect our picnic plans.”

Effect is the result of an action, as in those “cause and effect” papers you might write in English class. Your topic could be how your late-night tuba playing (cause) has driven your roommate insane (effect).
Their, they're. Don't allow are use of not good grammer effect you.😉

peter11435

They switched to bio-diesel. There is still air pollution that is produced, and any busses that were manufactured prior to the early 2010's are typically not compatible and/or do not use the advanced clean diesel technology mandated by the feds that maximizes the effectiveness of bio-diesel. Why not switch their decades old bus fleet to new hybrid buses, or employ an new solar or electric based mass transportation system? Or why not reorganize their entire mass transit operation to include more efficient environmentally friendly methods such as monorails and light rail.

It's just more about PR than doing any actual good. Again if any of these changes affected the bottom line, you'd see how quickly they are rolled back or not even implemented.

Of course they could always pass the cost along to the guests....

None of Disney’s fleet is decades old. The oldest buses in the fleet are from the mid 2000’s but most are significantly newer than that.

Also to your point they are investing hundreds on millions in a new electric based gondola system that will take a large number of buses off the roads. And it’s only the beginning of transportation infrastructure improvements.

rnese

I think everyone who hates this policy should just stop going to WDW. You don't need to waste your money traveling to an entertainment destination that doesn't share your values.
Perhaps we should organize a "boycott" of Disney sponsors, or have a "March on Mainstreet USA"?

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I think everyone who hates this policy should just stop going to WDW. You don't need to waste your money traveling to an entertainment destination that doesn't share your values.

I have no hatred of this policy whatsoever. But it is more symbolism over substance.

Actual real impactful environmental reforms would never be undertaken because it would not be profitable. Unless of course everyone wants to pay more for it...

ToTBellHop

Their, they're. Don't allow are use of not good grammer effect you.😉
It doesn't directly affect me, but it affects how seriously I take someone else's thoughts on a subject.
Perhaps we should organize a "boycott" of Disney sponsors, or have a "March on Mainstreet USA"?
No. I think you should just leave and go to Dollywood instead. I'm sure they have straws.

May your WDW exit be lined with benches made from recycled plastics.

DisneyDebRob

Personally I haven’t used a straw for any beverage in probably 40 years. Straws are not my thing. If anyone has seen the video of the sea turtle with a straw stuck in his nostril, it’s horrific. Google it if you wan to see it. I’m not leaving a link because it’s horre to watch if you care about animals and what they go through. These are the things that fire people up. You know what? That’s a good thing. Once in awhile we all have to come out of our lives and see what’s really going on. Put me down as every little bit helps, whether it’s for publicity or actually caring.

geekza

MK used to use paper straws back in the day. They sucked. With that said, a box of straws is dirt cheap at the grocery store, so if you really need or prefer them, just shove a box into whatever bag you're carrying with you into the park. Yes, I'm sure this wouldn't be happening if someone hadn't shown data on a spreadsheet showing a potential cost saving for Disney, but with the amount of people who come to WDW every year, I guess every little bit helps. Inconvenient? Yes. Outrage-worthy? Nah.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
America is responsible for 1% of the total plastic pollution in the world and of all the pollution .02% is plastic straws. There are far more effective things to do for the environment then banning plastic straws.
According to Oceancrusaders.org:

Pollution-by-countries-Graph1-768x509.jpg

The relevancy of this data in regards to plastic straws is up in the air. But if you want to tackle a real problem, why bother with something so small and annoying? Try collaborating with Musk (Tesla) or whomever and invest in clean air / clean energy. The amount of pollution we breathe in is awful.

When you look at "mismanaged plastic" (IOW, not recycled, not sequestered, just dumped somewhere) that winds up in the ocean, there are several Asian countries that are out of control with just dumping all their plastic there. Their wanton disregard dwarfs what other countries do. It can make what other countries do look trivial **by comparison**.

But in absolute terms, hundreds of thousands of metric tons of 'mismanaged' plastic is getting into the oceans via the U.S. per year. That's not good. Pointing out that there are countries doing twenty to fifty times worse doesn't mean we shouldn't be doing better.

So, the comparison is purposely meant to trivialize a still-important issue (thanks, big petrol and knee-jerk wingnuts!).

Further trivializing the issue is pointing out how much of the U.S.'s plastic is straws. Such a tiny, tiny fraction! But the problem with straws is the outsized effect they have on aquatic animals. Also, a tiny fraction of hundreds of thousands of metric tons is still... a lot.

Getting back to the country comparisons... do you know why the U.S. dumps *relatively* little plastic into the ocean *compared to* those Asian countries? It's precisely because of efforts to *manage* our plastic garbage through reduction in use, re-use in recycling, and disposing in landfills rather than the ocean. It's because of efforts like McDonald's using recycled paper and paper board and all the other stuff like switching to papers straws that we don't have as much plastic garbage to dump in the ocean as the Philippines. Or do you think that somehow the Philippines are producing ten times the amount of garbage overall than the U.S.? Nobody beats our consumption!!

It's not our low consumption that makes us relatively light polluters of the ocean, it's our efforts to manage plastic waste effectively. If we weren't doing all this environmental 'stuff' like switching to paper, we'd be right up there with China.

And that's why the comparison chart doesn't prove that switching to paper straws is an idiotic fool's quest, but it proves that all our efforts of conservation are working.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
None of Disney’s fleet is decades old. The oldest buses in the fleet are from the mid 2000’s but most are significantly newer than that.

Also to your point they are investing hundreds on millions in a new electric based gondola system that will take a large number of buses off the roads. And it’s only the beginning of transportation infrastructure improvements.

Just so you are aware. Only 61 of Disney's 390+ busses use the Cummins ISL9 engine which is the only engine type active in their fleet which meet 2010 EPA Clean Diesel Engine Requirments.

Additionally 169 of their busses were built prior to 2008 these busses do not have any clean diesel technology at all.

PrincessNelly_NJ

When Disney gets rids of the plastic drink bottles, plastic ponchos, plastic food containers, plastic merchandise wrapping materials, and any other mass distributed plastic item (that they use or sell to generate revenues) and swap it out for an environmentally friendly (and more expensive) alternative then they are making a difference.

All they are doing right now is using the social media outrage over the evils of plastic straws to save on their operating budget by no longer having to buy plastic straws.

Why does this have to be an all or nothing thing? You have to start somewhere. I'm not saying you are wrong about this being done because of a social media push but I just don't understand the big deal. They decided to reduce their plastic waste. Period. No matter how small, no matter if its enough to make a substantial difference... it has to start somewhere right?

Every big movement started somewhere by someone.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney is banning plastic straws because they are so committed to being environmentally friendly, but they are accepting sponsorship money to hand out plastic bags by the truckload. That should tell you everything you need to know about where Disney really stands and what the real motivation is.

Can you provide video or picture of just handfuls of plastic bags being shoved into guests' hands, please? Thanks a bunch!

ToTBellHop

Things change. Our parents and grandparents probably witnessed segregation first hand and probably accepted it as normal just because 'it was the way things were'. 25 years from now (hopefully) people will probably be shocked at just how many disposable items we used that were not biodegradable. It's just progress. Some day, grandma will play video games on a bad VR headset with Sega Genesis graphics! Take that you Nincompoop!
One day, the Carousel of Progress will be updated and we will laugh at how Uncle Orville, the old racist, carelessly threw shopping bags in the trash while his millennial great-nephew rolls his eyes with remarkable believability due to advances in Audio-Animatronics figures. They are currently working on making a believable man-bun for him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom