Avatar Flight of Passage reviews, comments and questions

monykalyn

Someone posted on the inside universal boards that FOP got new, better glasses....no photos or anything else of them to confirm though.
The glasses are definitely different, fit much better now, and lenses seemed a bit clearer. Not sure when they made the switch but sometime between new years and March (there march 19-22). I didn't feel like the glasses were going to slip off at any moment like before.

Have experience FoP multiple times now-the last few have been in bottom theater. First ride ever was top theater. Top is definitely better if you are a repeat rider, but not sure you'd notice difference if first time.

I have a very specific FoP question that I'm sure has been addressed somewhere but I don't quite see where, despite my searches. Soon my family will be visiting Disney World and only one of our vacation days will be at Animal Kingdom. This will be our first time in AK with Pandora so we're hyped to see fi it's possible to experience Navi and/or Flight of Passage but we're also realistic that this is going to be near impossible since we're staying off site and they've extended EMH throughout the summer (i.e., we can't make FP+ reservations 60 days in advance or rope drop). Our original plan was to rope drop FoP but now that plan is basically scratched because of this recent change to EMH during the entire week of our stay. I've read some great suggestions in different forums to just let it be the last thing we do at AK before closing (e.g., from @Pooh.sHoneyHuntTDL and others) because once we're in line for Flight of Passage we can still work our way through the standby queue even after the park is closed. This all sounds fantastic! (FYI I'm bring this question to this particular forum because I didn't want to hijack the forum topic of EMH somewhere else on this site). BUT I'm going to throw a wrench (i.e., additional detail that could create issues) with in this suggestion/plan to wait to join the standby queue until close to park closing. I'd be very grateful if @Pooh.sHoneyHuntTDL or others who have shared some excellent advice on this issue (anyone really who can speak to experience on this) can help walk me through how this is handled. The wrench is a question about Flight of Passage and Rider Swaps (for those in the fam too young--read "short"--to ride).

Our family consists of my wife and I and our 3 daughters (aged 8, 6, and 3). The 2 older kiddos will be able to ride Flight of Passage (and really want to if possible) but not our youngest. For lots of other rides that the youngest isn't tall enough for during our trip the plan is to simply do a rider switch. For Flight of Passage our (rope drop) plan was for us all to wait in line together and then once we get close to the official Standby/FP+ entrance tell a cast member that we'd need to do a rider swap. They'd issue me a Fastpass for the ride at that point and I'd step out of the standby queue with our youngest daughter to walk around Pandora while my wife and the older two kids continued on in the FoP standby line. Then after the wifey and older two kiddos eventually exit FoP we'd simply swap so that I could experience the ride too (using the issued rider swap Fastpass). Classic rider swap scenario. However rope dropping isn't going to be possible now with EMH every day so the next best plan seems to be to enter the standby queue close to park closing.

NOW TO THE WRENCH: if we are getting in line for Flight of Passage near park closing time then it's my understanding that at some point after closing the Fastpass line will no longer be in operation as all the standard Fastpass folks will have already made there way through (not sure if that's accurate though because I've never been there). 2 related questions: First, Are rider swap fast passes for Flight of Passage given out after the park closes (not sure we'd even make it to the castmember in the long standby queue before official park closing)? And second, even if we made it to the cast member waiting at the Standby/Fastpass+ entrance before park closing and I was issued a rider swap fastpass, would I even actually be able to use this fastpass when my family eventually exits after park closing?

I expect we can't possibly be the only family staying off-site that will be wondering about this, especially now that EMH will be running most of the summer. It seems the best plan now that rope-dropping Flight of Passage isn't really an option is to get in line just before park closing. But is that plan doable if a family needs to do a rider swap? (By the way, I totally get that this would be a LATE night for these young children so depending on nap schedules we'll also see if this is doable. Right now I'm simply wondering if the mechanics are even possible).

Last edited:

NomeKing88

Does anyone know if they are still keeping the FOP standby line open up until park close? I'm worried they'll close the line early because the line is so long, that I won't be able to hop in line just before park close :(

cjkeating

Does anyone know if they are still keeping the FOP standby line open up until park close? I'm worried they'll close the line early because the line is so long, that I won't be able to hop in line just before park close :(

I don't think they have closed the line before park close since the first few weeks.

Chances are the wait time is heavily exaggerated in the last hour.

Wameyn

I was there last week and the line was open until the park closed.

chantalvanveen

I absolutely loved the Avatar Flight of Passage. In may I was in Disney World for the first time. We were only 1 day at Animal Kingdom. We were hesitating and didn't know if we should go on this ride and we didn't know what to expect. We did go, even though we had to wait 120 minutes. But it was awesome! We even went for a second time. It was my favorite ride in the park!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Can anyone outline the rope drop procedure used for FoP these days at Animal Kingdom?

Do they queue up FoP separately inside the gate? Are people arriving very early before advertised open time?

Texas84

Can anyone outline the rope drop procedure used for FoP these days at Animal Kingdom?

Do they queue up FoP separately inside the gate? Are people arriving very early before advertised open time?

On my last trip I arrived about 0730 for a 0800 EMH and they were already lining people up inside and back to Africa. I was out of FoP about 0850. Maybe I missed the wait at the entrance to the land?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Fwiw... we didnrooe drop today. Forecasted for a lower attendance day (4/10).

Got to park about 730. Waited about 10mins at gates and we were in lines out past the ticket booths. When they opened, we made it to the pandora bridge before they started the moving barrier into the land. Moved in the mob. We were in the line funneling into the queue by 750. 10 mins of slow funneling and we were at the attraction entrance. They had not opened up the extended areas of the queue. We waited only 25mins from the time we atarted funneling into the line. Of course it was 45+ after we came out.

But river journey was still only 10mins so we got to do both before 840am

Last edited:

jpwdis

Does anyone know what the setup is like in terms of queue to preshows to link chambers? Does anyone have a diagram, schematic, or floorplan showing how everything flows?

I ask because my last time there, there were just so many lanes in the ramps going up and down and then so many doors at the end of them. It must be tough to keep track of in terms of the CMs boarding everybody... probably explains why they use iPads :)

HonorableMention

I just rode for the first time today and I was mostly blown away. I managed to get an evening fastpass and ended the day with the ride. What kept my ride from being perfect was the seat I got.

I was placed in spot 2 in the theater. Despite what I had seen online, there was a decent bit of janky-ness to the ride. While it wasn’t as bad as Soarin, there was a bit of curve that detracted from the 3D and made it easy to see other riders unless you focused your vision. For the visuals it was akin to sitting on the far side of ITTBAB or Philharmagic.

Either way, fantastic ride!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I just rode for the first time today and I was mostly blown away. I managed to get an evening fastpass and ended the day with the ride. What kept my ride from being perfect was the seat I got.

I was placed in spot 2 in the theater. Despite what I had seen online, there was a decent bit of janky-ness to the ride. While it wasn’t as bad as Soarin, there was a bit of curve that detracted from the 3D and made it easy to see other riders unless you focused your vision. For the visuals it was akin to sitting on the far side of ITTBAB or Philharmagic.

Either way, fantastic ride!

I can concur after riding FoP about 14 times that the very extreme sides lose a bit of the effect. Not in the warping of Soarin', but that it no longers look like you're facing forward. It's like you're on the outstretched wing of the banshee looking at things slightly to the right or left of forward motion.

Ghostdog

For a person that gets a tad bit motion sick, how bad will this ride be for me? Usually I can relax and just go with the motion and it’s not too bad.

flynnibus

Premium Member
For a person that gets a tad bit motion sick, how bad will this ride be for me? Usually I can relax and just go with the motion and it’s not too bad.

This is definately a high sensory thing... simulating high speeds, diving, banking. There is no confined spaces like M:S tho, nor any spinning sensations. Its a lot more intense than Soarin'... but kind of in that same vein. I think if Soarin' doesn't set you queezy.. you'd be ok as long as the type of simulated movement doesn't scare you.

Unlike some spinners/etc.. you are very nicely secured in your seat, so no fear about movement/etc. But if it's your fears getting you.. this one is way more than Soarin'

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom