A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

the.dreamfinder

I thought both Pixar and WDA were both unionized already.
Nope, just WDAS.

Pixar holds a strong anti-union position. Ed Catmull, the leader of the wage fixing scheme, in particular has worked hard to keep Pixar union free.

To give some context, artists at Pixar, in the more expensive Bay Area, make less, on average, than their unionized counterparts at WDAS in LA/Burbank.

JJJ

Like you describe above, the Bechdel Test, really just provides a quick template for studios to follow to 'Pass' but doesn't actually create more and better depictions of women. It is the same thing with the GLAAD report that comes out every year, Studios try and Pass by having incidental background Gay and Lesbian characters.... And hopefully this doesn't trigger a toxic fandom debate. =-(
This sums it up pretty well:

MarkTwain

Well, a controversial piece of Disney history meets its end...

Disney Shuts Down Disneytoon Studios in Glendale: Exclusive

On the heels of Pete Docter and Jennifer Lee succeeding John Lasseter as chief creative officers at Pixar and Disney, Disney will now close its third animation studio, the Glendale-based Disneytoon Studios, effective immediately.

Disneytoon was best known for the “Disney Fairies” home entertainment and “Planes” theatrical franchises under Lasseter’s leadership, with Meredith Roberts serving as senior vice president and general manager since 2008. There will be layoffs of 75 animators and staff, and it is unclear if any will be transitioned to either Disney or Pixar.

That's too bad about all the animators needing work now. But this studio always kind of seemed like Lasseter's pet project, so maybe the writing was on the wall.

Last edited:

Rodan75

Nope, just WDAS.

Pixar holds a strong anti-union position. Ed Catmull, the leader of the wage fixing scheme, in particular has worked hard to keep Pixar union free.

To give some context, artists at Pixar, in the more expensive Bay Area, make less, on average, than their unionized counterparts at WDAS in LA/Burbank.

Wow. I’m surprised. And can’t imagine that will last much longer now. I’m surprised it survived the Wage fixing fiasco.

PizzaPlanet

MarkTwain

Lasseter was the one that made them stop making those direct-to-video sequels.

Yes, he did - maybe one of his best contributions to the company! Then he went on to have a lot of involvement in the more spinoff-based direction with the Planes and Fairies movies, which it sounds like were much better movies as a whole. I do know he could be found at the building quite a bit.

brb1006

MerlinTheGoat

The last movie was not good, you except a better one now? I won't pay to go to the theater to see the latest Jurassic, might watch it if it comes on NetFlix. For that matter I never knew they made a Jussassic park 3? 2 was crap. The first one was a decent movie.
If Universal's catch-up to Disney includes doubling down on the Jurassic IP, at least they could have make a *good* sequel. World's plot points and dialogue were awful. CGI was good... so... screen based attractions would work here!
I thought that (after finishing up Fast and Furious) Universal was supposed to be moving towards rides with more physical scenery as opposed to being mostly screen based. Starting with the new Harry Potter coaster, Nintendo and the content they have planned beyond that (including the third park).

I really enjoy the original Jurassic Park film, but that is the limit of my experience with the franchise. I've never had a desire to see the sequels (or the newer World ones). But even without being a diehard fan of the franchise, i'm still always interested in dinosaur-related theme park attractions in general. Whether from Disney or Universal (and Uni is probably more likely to build dinosaur attractions due to the Jurassic Park IP). If the rumors of Universal moving towards rides having more physical sets and robotics instead of screens are true, then i'm interested in what they could have planned for Jurassic Park/World in their parks. I don't have to be a fan of the movies to be interested.

BTW, this is awesome-

Last edited:

Princess Leia

I read Jurassic Park last summer (haven’t read Lost World yet), but it’s kind of amazing how Spielberg & Co. took that book and made an even better movie out of it. Everything in that film still holds up today in 2018 (minus the computers, but what can you do). Unfortunately, none of the sequels have come even close to the first film. Minus the new one, I’ve watched them all. My dad and I hate watched 3 (it was on AMC, and we actively rooted for the dinos to win). JW was like TFA, in that it covered a lot of the same beats as the original, but despite almost copying the film, wasn’t as good as original. I just have no interest in seeing Fallen Kingdom.

Now, if JW:FK means getting more Jurassic Park attractions in Orlando, then I’m all for it. Just don’t really want to see the movie.

culturenthrills

Quoting you out of convenience, but I saw a couple similar posts....

If you think Disney TV Animation has been doing the mouse a disservice lately then you are in the minority.

Duck Tales is a fantastic show. It’s legitimately fantastic. Animation is wonderful, writing is wonderful, the voice acting is off the charts.

I wonder, are you complaining for the sake of complaining. Have you even watched the show?

The new Ducktales is one of my favorite shows on TV right now. Love the art style that is more like the comics. The writing has been spot on. Even though the episodes are self contained there are season long arcs going on too. Love how they updated Webby. She pretty much steals most scenes she is in. Love how H, D and L all have unique personalities now. They have truly hit it out of the park.

Rodan75

The new Ducktales is one of my favorite shows on TV right now. Love the art style that is more like the comics. The writing has been spot on. Even though the episodes are self contained there are season long arcs going on too. Love how they updated Webby. She pretty much steals most scenes she is in. Love how H, D and L all have unique personalities now. They have truly hit it out of the park.

100%. I am really surprised by the quality. I was worried about it for a minute when it disappeared for a long time, but it looks like it got caught up in whatever is happening with DXD with animation moving back over to Disney Channel. (I'm assuming that DXD is the first 'victim' of the DisneyFlix product.)

the.dreamfinder

100%. I am really surprised by the quality. I was worried about it for a minute when it disappeared for a long time, but it looks like it got caught up in whatever is happening with DXD with animation moving back over to Disney Channel. (I'm assuming that DXD is the first 'victim' of the DisneyFlix product.)
TBH, is DXD really a brand worth saving? Also, if new animated show push out the tween shows from Disney SVOD, that’s good with me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom