News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

lawdogNOLA

One thing that has me curious after our recent rain-filled visit, is if they turn off the gondola system due to lightning, will they close them down the same length of time they do all outside rides, water rides, resort pools and the waterparks? Because those were some long closures we went through in late May and early June, 2018.

Also, I've been drenched at different times of the day over the decades at WDW, with the two most memorable over the last decade (neither of them this trip) involving an evening storm that closed the boats from Ft. Wilderness to the Magic Kingdom, forcing us to dash to the buses after the Hoop Dee Doo Revue. We have a picture of my wife and kid utterly drenched at the Wilderness Lodge on our way back to the MK, and that took place a bit after 8 p.m. The other storm was at the Epcot monorail station, after park closure, waiting to head back to the TTC to go to the MK for Extra Magic Hours: You have never seen a monorail load that fast in your life, when it finally pulled into the station. That one was strong enough to blow some of the shade tarps that were in use at the station to who-knows-where.

I'd rather ride Mission Space Orange mission 10 times in a row after competing in a chili eating contest (with my fellow riders being the winning contestants) than go through either of those storms, especially the Epcot monorail storm, in a gondola.

Jambo Joe

Hadn’t really thought of this until reading some of these recent postings but - when they stop the system for a weather event I assume that will mean people in transit will be de-board at the next lift station. I suppose they could wait out the event there. If the plan is to scramble buses to those locations - some of the stations aren’t really that close to where buses can get to.

Movielover

Hadn’t really thought of this until reading some of these recent postings but - when they stop the system for a weather event I assume that will mean people in transit will be de-board at the next lift station. I suppose they could wait out the event there. If the plan is to scramble buses to those locations - some of the stations aren’t really that close to where buses can get to.

Most likely they will be able to get everyone to their destinations before having to shut down in very extreme cases. Weather doesn't just suddenly appear, they will know about approaching storms with plenty of time before the arrive.

Creathir

Most likely they will be able to get everyone to their destinations before having to shut down in very extreme cases. Weather doesn't just suddenly appear, they will know about approaching storms with plenty of time before the arrive.
I wonder, does Disney keep a meteorologist onsite for determining potential upcoming closures, or is it a less formal process?

Shipping carriers like FedEx and UPS have full departments of meteorologists on staff.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree with this. There is only 1 stretch that is a problem anyway. AoA to CBR is a single line and DHS to CBR is a single line. The only line with a stop in the middle is CBR to EPCOT with the Riviera station in between. I would assume at a weather shutdown they wouldn’t force guests off at Riviera, only in the event of an emergency.

Movielover

I wonder, does Disney keep a meteorologist onsite for determining potential upcoming closures, or is it a less formal process?

Shipping carriers like FedEx and UPS have full departments of meteorologists on staff.

I can't speak for Disney but when I worked for Kings Island there is the control center where rides and lines were monitored and all radio communications would go through. Inside they had direct access to weather info and radio. I would imagine Disney must have a similar connection to weather info.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Years and years ago WDW had access to a real time weather satellite. Nowerdays I assume they have Doppler radar and the like, lightning detection, good forecasts and good binoculars.

tonymu

Premium Member
I work at a school, we have a weatherbug weather station on campus. When lightning or other threatening weather comes within a certain radius of campus I get a text. For lightning if it strikes within 10 miles outdoor games, events or practices are stopped and everyone must go inside. When there are no strikes for 30 minutes I get an all clear text. I then check the app radar and if there is nothing else headed our way we resume games, events or practices. If I see more stuff headed our way I will wait on announcing the all clear to see if we are going to get another text. I'm not a meteorologist but it's also not rocket science.

esskay

WDW is the only pool or beach where I have seen a lifeguard with a radio. One told me there is a central weather station that tells them when to shut down. I have seen some mighty dark clouds come mighty close -- IMO -- but the lifeguards did not flinch. It must be a good system.

It's a very good system. We were at TL a few months back and there was a warning of an almighty storm coming. Whilst we were in the main pool it got very dark but the lifeguards didnt move. Eventually you could hear rumbling in the distance. 5 minutes later one either side picks up a phone and then the announcement to leave the water came over the tannoy.
It was closed for 30 minutes then re-opened, it was raining but it didnt really matter if there was no lightning.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I remember in 1990 (!) being in line for Jaws at Uni (the first version). We were held at the dock due to a storm. The dispatcher had a gadget that beeped everytime lightning within a defined radius was detected. Now you can get a graphical representation of it on the phone in your pocket. I’m sure park technology has come as far.

And yes, we got to ride Jaws version one :)

Incomudro

WDW is the only pool or beach where I have seen a lifeguard with a radio. One told me there is a central weather station that tells them when to shut down. I have seen some mighty dark clouds come mighty close -- IMO -- but the lifeguards did not flinch. It must be a good system.

Last time we were at Typhoon Lagoon, a major thunder storm came through.
A life guard told us the same thing you said.
They have a weather info system that determines closings based on lightning strike distances and some other data.

HouCuseChickie

I can't seem to find the most recent post about the projected timeline or timeline updates, but I seem to recall seeing they were aiming for next summer. I ask because my parents are staying at CBR right now. I asked them to go take a look, just so I could get some visuals on progress, and my dad said one of the construction workers told him it's looking like Christmas 2019. I'm sure info from some of the workers can be as reliable as rumors you hear from some bus drivers, but I'm just curious if anyone hand any more info on this. Thanks

Kamikaze

I can't seem to find the most recent post about the projected timeline or timeline updates, but I seem to recall seeing they were aiming for next summer. I ask because my parents are staying at CBR right now. I asked them to go take a look, just so I could get some visuals on progress, and my dad said one of the construction workers told him it's looking like Christmas 2019. I'm sure info from some of the workers can be as reliable as rumors you hear from some bus drivers, but I'm just curious if anyone hand any more info on this. Thanks

There are three separate projects going on in the CBR area. Riviera, Old Port Royale, and the Skyliner. So whoever he talked to might have been working one of those other projects.

Martin has said multiple times that they want the system operational around May of 2019 and guests riding within a couple of months of that. 13-15 months of May 1st with guest on board.

pdude81

I'm not sure if Martin revealed if those were the dates for the entire project or just for the CBR<-->DHS loop (nor do I remember asking for clarification). Perhaps they won't open any of it until the whole project is complete, but I suspect if one of the loops is ready they could start testing earlier to see if there might be any unforseen issues

nickys

Premium Member
I'm not sure if Martin revealed if those were the dates for the entire project or just for the CBR<-->DHS loop (nor do I remember asking for clarification). Perhaps they won't open any of it until the whole project is complete, but I suspect if one of the loops is ready they could start testing earlier to see if there might be any unforseen issues

Testing - yes. Fully operational - I doubt it, tho I have nothing to support it.

But Martin quoted dates for the entire system to be functional, with guests riding to be 13-15 months away from Ist May.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom