How much did your trip cost?

Greg H

Question for the DVC people.. do you always view your hotel cost as $0, or do any of you break it down by total cost and dues?
I’m curious as to what those numbers would be.

I think there are lots of ways you could look at it. If you wanted to be conservative, you could calculate the estimated cost of each point by figuring out the number of total points over the full length of contract and comparing this with upfront cost, plus a % for opportunity cost lost on the upfront cash, plus annual maintenance dues. If you financed it you would have to add something for that as well. On the other hand, I am sure some people look at it as cost of annual maintenance dues alone as they have either long paid for the upfront cost or just assume they will sell at some point... I personally see it as annual dues plus around $2.00 a point. So for AKL I figure it is around $8.75 a point in 2018.

My head is just spinning at these numbers! We live 40 minutes from Disneyland and for approximately $1,200 per year we can go to both parks everyday for 365 days which includes parking, 20% merch discount, MaxPass, free hugs from Pluto and awesome weather. :)

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
2011 - 8 Days at Ft. Wilderness Campground, 7 people (4 Adults, 3 Children), 7 day base ticket.......$ $3,500
2013 - 7 Days at All-Star Music, 5 people (2 Adults, 3 Children), 7 day base ticket......$ 4,500
2015 - 8 Days at Ft. Wilderness Campground, 6 people (2 Adults, 4 Children), 7 day base ticket.....$3,800
2017 - 8 Days at Ft. Wilderness Campground, 6 people (2 Adults, 4 Children), 7 day base ticket......$4,000
2018 - 3 Days at The Grand Floridian , 2 Adults, 3 day ticket w/hopper....$2,400

your consistent trips make it really easy to see the gradual price increases. It's not as drastic as I thought it would be based on a lot of forum posts. This is cool, thanks for sharing!

Lee C

All 3 of these are with three adults and a teenager staying 6 nights/7 days on property :

Jan 2017: Stayed at Caribbean Resort with DDP, 7 day park hopper tickets with plane tickets ($1000) & rental car (AA points): ~ $5700
Jun 2017: Stayed at Coronado, paid OOP meals ($1300 budget), 7 day park hopper + tickets, drove from Dallas w/ midway hotel stays: ~$4750 (IMHO, not worth the drive, but we were going with extended family)
Jul 2018: Staying at Coronado, paying OOP meals ($1400 budget), 7 day park hopper + tickets, plane ($1193): $6000

tazmad

We just went to Disney and Universal. Two adults and two kids ages 10 and 15. Three days at Universal, five days at Disney. Stayed six nights split between the wilderness lodge and beach club. We spent $7,800 and that's because we had an additional three free nights hotel for our universal days, and three free airfares. If we'd had to pay the real cost for those, it would have added another $2,500 to the total if we'd done a cheaper non-disney hotel for around $275 a night.

Went in April for 3 nights at Coronado. About $1500 after everything.

Going for marathon weekend, two nights at SSR, not buying park tickets. Will be $1300 total with flights and run.

HouCuseChickie

My head is just spinning at these numbers! We live 40 minutes from Disneyland and for approximately $1,200 per year we can go to both parks everyday for 365 days which includes parking, 20% merch discount, MaxPass, free hugs from Pluto and awesome weather. :)

The numbers for Disneyland wouldn't be all that different if you had to travel to get there. Air into California, shuttle or rental car so you can get to and from your airport, potential parking fees if you rent a car, and lodging costs will bring that actual Disneyland cost up pretty quickly...especially if you opt for one of the Disneyland resorts vs. a good neighbor. Most visitors to Disneyland who aren't CA residents also probably can't justify becoming passholders, so you've got standard ticket costs and no discounts on food and merch.

escapeartist

8 nights standard Pop room for 4 ( 2 A and 2 tweens) with 6 day hopper plus waterpark tickets. We got free qs dining. I added one night pop at begining for 9 nights. That was $3640. Then upgrading 2 people to AP I am guessing $1000 more. Free MM. Then 3 tix for disney after hours about $300.00. Air fare for 3 was about $800.00. So about $5800 before extra food and spending money.
I did buy discount gc and saved at least $400

DABIGCHEEZ

Question for the DVC people.. do you always view your hotel cost as $0, or do any of you break it down by total cost and dues?
I’m curious as to what those numbers would be.
Thanks for getting my earlier camping post. But as far as DVC, I view it as my dues are my lodging cost for the trip since I've had it 18 years and the initial cost has been already accounted for and then some.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
But you have to live in California to get that.

Roakor

Last trip was in dec of 2016, stayed 7 days 6 nights at French Quarter, did the keys to the kingdom tour & christmas event. Had the dinning plan (1 table, 1 counter) 2 people. cost approx $3,500. We drive down so no airfare.

Next trip will be in sept 2019, staying at the art of animation 7 days 6 nights, 2 people quick service dinning plan (wanted more flex ability and not have to plan things around ADRs), will probably do some of the dinning events at food and wine. Estimated cost about $3,000. Once again we will be driving so no airfare.

These are prices for the hotel, food, Parks and events/tours.

crxbrett

This upcoming trip I have was definitely pricey. $10600 for 6 nights at the AKL, 7 nights at the Poly including the regular DP and park-hopper plus tix for all 14 days. Flights were thankfully cheap and only $400 for 2 non-stop round trips tickets for me and my GF. So I am looking at a little over $11,000 for 14 days at DW.

I keep most of my itineraries from the past and it is pretty eye-opening to see how much more expensive DW has gotten just in the last 9 years or so.

Take in mind, this is only staying at the Poly and also includes airfare, park tickets and food for these numbers.
In 1989 it cost roughly $1900 for 7 days ($135 per day per person)
In 1993 it cost roughly $2400 for 7 days ($170 per day per person)
In 1997 it cost roughly $3100 for 8 days ($195 per day per person)
In 2006 it cost roughly $4400 for 10 days ($220 per day per person)
In 2008 it cost roughly $5000 for 11 days ($230 per day per person)
In 2018 it cost roughly $11,000 for 14 days ($395 per day per person)

It is crazy to think the prices only went up $95 per day per person (70%) for my trips from 1989 - 2008 (19 years). But it went up a staggering $165 (72%) per day per person just from 2008-2018. That's pretty telling at just how bad Disney has increased prices in the last decade or so compared to the two decades prior.

CptRon

Throwing in something I consider atypical, for comparison. We were celebrating my layoff on Friday, August 19, 2016, and starting my new job Monday, August 22nd ;-)

July 29 (Fri), 2016 - August 01 (Mon), 2016

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Savanna View - Club Level Access

2 Adults
3-Day Ticket with Admission to 1 Park Per Day
Round Trip flight - eastern seaboard to MCO
Package Price $2,869.96
Shipping $0.00
Travel Insurance $155.00
Total Order Price $3,024.96

No dining plan, but we ate breakfast and dinner in the Kilimanjaro Club. Bought lunch in the parks. Bought a few drinks at AK (Tiffins had recently opened), but mostly had Tusker Lagers to my heart's desire in the club.

Chars0704

We are paying over just over 4K for our 4 night 5 day stay at WL in April. 2 adults and a 2 year old (who’s free!!!). We did add park hopper and DDP. Doesn’t even include flights.

I’m a teacher and have certain days I can travel though, so it’s always during more expensive times. It would have been a lot cheaper the following week. Sucks but I do love my summers.

I’m hoping that I may be able to get discounts.

disneygeek90

I stay offsite on every trip, so I will not tell you how much it costs me, because it will send everyone into a depressed mood. There is nothing about travel, but, believe me there is a way to experience and have a great time at WDW without going bankrupt. I will not pay that much money to have a 5 foot, famous mouse, wandering around all night.
It shocks me how many are spending $300+/night for a 7 night stay on just hotels. With offsite hotels and roomy Air Bnb's these days, it seems like a no brainer way to save a ton of money. I've never quite "got" the intrigue of spending a bunch of money at a place you basically just sleep.

Willmark

It shocks me how many are spending $300+/night for a 7 night stay on just hotels. With offsite hotels and roomy Air Bnb's these days, it seems like a no brainer way to save a ton of money. I've never quite "got" the intrigue of spending a bunch of money at a place you basically just sleep.
Only thing that makes it “worth it” is the extra time for fast pass and extra magic hours.

Goofyernmost

Only thing that makes it “worth it” is the extra time for fast pass and extra magic hours.
That is probably important to first timers, but, to someone that has 45 trips over 35 years under my belt, I don't find it worth that much extra. I have seen everything a gazillion times and besides I have managed to get most of my FP's just the night before. What I didn't get, I got over or found another way or time to experience it. I wouldn't do EMH's. In fact I avoid whatever park has it on that day. In the meantime, I can get to any of the parks just as fast off 192 as taking Disney transportation from a resort. I save enough money offsite that I can happily pay the parking fee at the parks, so that isn't even a slight temptation. My staying offsite allows me to pay for a car rental (if I don't bring my own), meals and other activities just on hotel savings alone. I know that many love staying onsite, and that is OK, I just have never seen the benefit. I tried it once and would never do it again unless I could find a rich lady that wants to pay my way. :happy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom