A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

MerlinTheGoat

I recognize "Disney Interactive" from countless nostalgic console and PC games growing up. They co-developed a lot of console games with other well known developers. But many of their PC games like the one you linked to were created solely by Disney Interactive. I had a handful of those "Animated Storybook" and "Activity Center" games when CD drives started becoming mainstream. They used some pretty high quality animation considering the hardware limitations of early-mid 90s PCs. The Toy Story Animated Storybook game had involvement from Pixar, they created a lot of unique scenes and animations not seen in the film but using the same models and assets surprisingly close to the quality of the movie itself.

It should also be noted however that Disney Interactive went through an era where they became involved in a lot of "shovelware" as they call it. Low-effort games lacking substance and quality. This started becoming more common in the 2000s, especially during the casual era of the Nintendo DS and Wii. Hopefully they still have talent left and it was only corporate interference causing that quality drop.

This new series looks quite good in still shots so far, a promising sign compared to the modern Mickey shorts and Ducktales reboot. So I am VERY interested to see how it looks in motion. The images are giving me some serious Disney Afternoon vibes. Hope the writing is good as well.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I recognize "Disney Interactive" from countless nostalgic console and PC games growing up. They co-developed a lot of console games with other well known developers. But many of their PC games like the one you linked to were created solely by Disney Interactive. I had a handful of those "Animated Storybook" and "Activity Center" games when CD drives started becoming mainstream. They used some pretty high quality animation considering the hardware limitations of early-mid 90s PCs. The Toy Story Animated Storybook game had involvement from Pixar, they created a lot of unique scenes and animations not seen in the film but using the same models and assets surprisingly close to the quality of the movie itself.

It should also be noted however that Disney Interactive went through an era where they became involved in a lot of "shovelware" as they call it. Low-effort games lacking substance and quality. This started becoming more common in the 2000s, especially during the casual era of the Nintendo DS and Wii. Hopefully they still have talent left and it was only corporate interference causing that quality drop.

This new series looks quite good in still shots so far, a promising sign compared to the modern Mickey shorts and Ducktales reboot. So I am VERY interested to see how it looks in motion. The images are giving me some serious Disney Afternoon vibes. Hope the writing is good as well.

Disney Interactive, from all the googling I've done, shouldn't have an animation department. Because they kept killing off all their own Disney computer games, did they reorganize the department into a studio?

MerlinTheGoat

Disney Interactive, from all the googling I've done, shouldn't have an animation department. Because they kept killing off all their own Disney computer games, did they reorganize the department into a studio?
I'm not sure. It seems a little confusing when I googled it, sounds like it went through a lot of upheaval over the years. I remember them more as a gaming publisher rather than an actual developer. If that's accurate, that would seem to put them more on the business side of things rather than the creative side.

But like I said, they do seem to have developed some of the Disney PC games on their own. And those definitely had a lot of original art and animation that wasn't just copy and pasted from from the movies. I don't know if Disney Interactive handled that art and animation themselves, or if they had to get some outside help from one of Disney's other animation studios. They seemed to have gotten some help from Pixar for the Toy Story computer games, but I don't know about the movies with hand-drawn assets.

brb1006

The series is also giving me some vibes from various European comics (Mainly French/Belgian comics such as Tintin and Asterix). Helps that Donald Duck and Scrooge is insanely popular in Europe more than Mickey Mouse. Especially the comics. So far this is a good sign.

But yeah, I mostly remember Disney Interactive for their PC games besides the ones from the 2000's.

Who knows, the series could be a win-win if the series get released in other countries since Donald is popular in Europe, while Jose is huge in Brazil and South America to the point that he has his own comic book series.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Scrolling down a bit on that page, someone asked which studio was doing the animation work. He said he believes it's TVA, but isn't certain.

But the previous Tweeter (@themattchapman) said specifically it wasn't TVA, but DI. I googled him but could find no connection to Disney. He has worked in the animation field, though.

MerlinTheGoat

But the previous Tweeter (@themattchapman) said specifically it wasn't TVA, but DI. I googled him but could find no connection to Disney. He has worked in the animation field, though.
Matt Chapman? IMDB (which admittedly isn't always accurate as it's just as user editable as Wikipedia) credits him as providing voices for several Disney cartoons (Gravity Falls, Pickle and Peanut and Star vs the Forces of Evil). And he wrote several episodes of those shows as well as the modern Mickey Mouse short The Boiler Room.

EDIT- The credit for Mickey Mouse The Boiler Room is accurate. Just checked and Matt Chapman is listed as one of the writers in the end credits. It was easy enough to just load that on youtube and verify. Good chance those other credits are accurate too.

MarkTwain

From what I can gather, it seems as if certain Pixar attractions were given the green light to please John Lasseter and nowhere is that more evident with Pixar Pier. If you want proof, just look at how overexcited he was for it at D23 last year.

But now that Lasseter left the company, Disney ended up building a land that never fulfilled its intended purpose of pleasing him and only him. If only they pulled the plug on it before it was too late.

^ Ding ding ding

This is exactly what happened. Lasseter was getting jealous of all the attention being paid to Marvel and Star Wars at Disneyland, and Pixar Pier was proposed as a quick and cheap way to placate him. Nobody at WDI liked the idea, but everyone went along with the idea anyway. And Lasseter's "requests" on the project became increasingly weird and intrusive.

The sad part? From what I understand, the final greenlight came through mere weeks before the Lasseter scandals started emerging. Frankly, with his increasingly diva-ish behavior around WDI, I think many were glad to be rid of his influence.

The Empress Lilly

^ Ding ding ding

This is exactly what happened. Lasseter was getting jealous of all the attention being paid to Marvel and Star Wars at Disneyland, and Pixar Pier was proposed as a quick and cheap way to placate him. Nobody at WDI liked the idea, but everyone went along with the idea anyway. And Lasseter's "requests" on the project became increasingly weird and intrusive.

The sad part? From what I understand, the final greenlight came through mere weeks before the Lasseter scandals started emerging. Frankly, with his increasingly diva-ish behavior around WDI, I think many were glad to be rid of his influence.
Wish his ousting would've come in time to spare us Toy Story Kiddieland too. :depressed:

Indy_UK

Have you heard the new about the new animated series "Legend Of The Three Caballeros" that just premiered in the Philippines on the Disney Life App? It's strange that Disney never gave any news ahead of time about this happening but just suddenly popped up. I heard it was suppose to premier in the US sometime in 2019 and Matt Chapman of Homestar Runner fame is the producer.. Do you think Disney might be saving the official announcement for their Streaming Service coming in 2019 or on television. Because judging by the screenshots, I hadn't seen Disney use this style since The House Of Mouse which I really enjoy.

I really hope the show does see a light of day in the US.

I think you have made my life..... I love these 3 and like Ducktales, thrilled it's back

So happy to read that they are coming back. They can cancel Coco overlay in the Mexico pavilion now.

the.dreamfinder

A theory regarding The Three Cabelleros show- Disney is trying to replicate how Netflix pushes their shows. Netflix doesn’t always make a big deal about its shows appearing on their platform, they just show up. Then Netflix watches how its members consume the show and discuss it on SM platforms like Facebook and Twitter. Once their marketing teams have this data, they then begin a formal marketing campaign.

https://www.recode.net/2017/12/14/1...n-algorithm-data-tv-peter-kafka-media-podcast

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom